• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer the XJ with the ZJ? Need advice.

GoSlowGetStuck

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Alright, so I recently changed my steering box and that helped with my wandering issue quite a bit, but the XJ is still a little awkward on the highway. Within the next year I'd like to make it out of the state and visit some other trails. So with the prospect of a long trip, I think I would either want to take some lift out of the XJ (remove coil spacers and leaf shackles + get smaller tires = lame), or look into trailering it all over the place. I have a 98 ZJ with the 4.0, it is low mileage (65k) and very well maintained, but still doesn't feel that energetic pulling its own weight. It does not have the tow package. I hate to think about putting the weight of a car hauler and my XJ behind it. The whole point of trailering is to *not* have white knuckles the entire way :)

So, in this situation, what would you guys do? I love the ZJ as a DD, so maybe get one with the 5.2 (5.9s seem tough to find)? Would I be any better off with a WJ? Or finding something full size with a bit more headroom for towing (7000lb+)? Obviously being able to stop that much trailer weight is as important as moving it, so I think a longer wheelbase would help with the sway? What about flat-towing the XJ so I don't have the trailer weight to deal with?

Basically, who trailers with a full-size, who trailers with another Jeep, who flat-tows, and who mans up and drives their wheeling rig everywhere? I could not handle a 4+ hour trip in this thing.

If you don't have a trailer, get or borrow a tow dolly with electric brakes. Way lighter and helps you stop significantly.
As for the ZJ, add a trans cooler if you don't already have one and some sort of air assist for the rear if you plan on towing it often.
The small tire idea isn't a bad idea either as long as you can carry the tires you want to run with you.
Even with a tow dolly, a weight distributing hitch assembly is well worth the money on something with that wheel base.
HTH

Thanks for the response. I wondered about a tow dolly. Will that cooperate with my 33"s very well? I'm worried about still having the rear 33"s running on the pavement, seems like even when they are properly inflated those things wander all over the place.

I would definitely need a trans cooler since I don't already have the towing package (hell I don't even have a wiring harness). Still a little concerned about stopping that much weight behind such a short wheel base vehicle. I stopped at a dealership and drove an 04 Tahoe today, and am considering selling my ZJ and picking that up. As long as I'm getting 13 MPG I figure I should be able to safely tow while I'm at it.

Do you have personal experience towing that much weight behind a ZJ? I know that specifications and reality are sometimes different. Anyone else have experiences to share?

I imagine though that even 5000 pounds (including the trailer) behind a full-size would tow just fine. My damn garage isn't long enough to fit an extended cab truck, so Tahoe/Durango/Expedition are about my only options :/

I don't have the experience with a ZJ but, I have pushed it with my XJ. (Stroked, 4 wheel disc, trans & oil cooler, air lift bags and a weight distributing hitch) At my old job I dragged a 24ft enclosed car hauler for a week, 2.5 k empty, 5-6k loaded (Jelly Belly displays) and it wasn't horrible. A full size would have been better but I did make the 2500 miles in 5 days with out an issue, even during Chicago rush hour. My brake controller did burnout at one point during the trip but a quick stop at Autozone fixed that. I even averaged 12mpg.
If it won't hurt you financially, I would go with something bigger but, if money is a concern you could safely tow it for less than $2k in upgrades if you have to buy a dolly. As for the 33's, I would change the rears to something smaller to tow. It would look dumb but not as bad as being rubber side up on the median.

With my 95 4.0 ZJ and complete tow package, I dragged my XJ 200 miles on a Uhaul dolly. The ZJ braking is barely adequate for itself, so doubling the weight was a real experience. Knowing this, I planned ahead. Getting up hills I wished I'd had 50 more HP. But could still do speed limit on flat areas.

From my own experiences I would use a tow dolly with electric brakes. And a stock XJ is about all the weight I'd consider towing.

Look, Im a ZJ fan, had a ZJ with the 5.2, the motor and the trans in the ZJ is strong enough to pull two XJ's.

but theres a problem, Towing isnt all about power. infact, power just makes up 50% of the equation, For long state-2-state trips, it could potentially be dangerous to tow a lifted xj behind a lifted ZJ, ZJs have a Unibody, they are short, and they are Light,

I would Highly suggest Stepping up to something Fullsized, like an expedition/tahoe if your planning to do longer trips towing.

Now, on the flipside, the ZJ will do just fine if your just towing from a-2-b,
xj breaks down 70 miles from home.. i wouldnt hesitate to rent a dolly and tow it back with the zj. but i wouldnt want to tow it 1000mi that way.

Very good points being made here. The unibody and short wheelbase are concerns.

It sounds like the ZJ would barely be adequate for the occasional emergency tow or trip to the local off road park. Over the next year I'd like to start making it down south to other parks and may be looking at 200-300mi round trip, so I think I would prefer to be oversized. I have a Trans Am I'm selling soon, so between selling that and the ZJ I think I'll be in good shape to pick up an 02-04 Tahoe.

I've been looking at 14-16' trailers, most of the used ones I'm seeing that are sub-$1000 don't have brakes, though. With something like the Tahoe (5.3L + tow package) will that be safe/comfortable to do, or should I save up a little more and try to get something with trailer brakes?

Obviously it's smarter to have trailer brakes than to not have them, but how bad will it be if I don't?

lesslimited towed his XJ on a Featherlight aluminum trailer behind a Grand for a while. Might want to hit him up.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider for a second the idea of towing another over a ton behind an XJ/ZJ/WJ without trailer brakes. Period.

I would not be concerned with power to pull, my biggest concern would be brakes on the XJ. I came in a little late and it looks like you are already set on getting a Tahoe. That is not a bad idea but I would still get a weight distributing hitch. It will help distribute the weight and also help with sway control.

As far as the trailer, I would hold off until you find a trailer with brakes(electric). Surge brakes are okay for light loads but an XJ on a surge brake trailer would not be good!

Good luck

I would not be concerned with power to pull, my biggest concern would be brakes on the XJ. I came in a little late and it looks like you are already set on getting a Tahoe. That is not a bad idea but I would still get a weight distributing hitch. It will help distribute the weight and also help with sway control.

As far as the trailer, I would hold off until you find a trailer with brakes(electric). Surge brakes are okay for light loads but an XJ on a surge brake trailer would not be good!

Good luck

I am a n00b at the whole trailering thing. Initially I thought a weight-distributing hitch was something on the truck itself, to distribute the weight of the trailer further up into the truck frame. Instead it looks like the receiver and everything on the truck stays the same, and the "weight-distributing" part of it just affects how the trailer connects into the receiver?

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_weightdistribution.aspx

So installing a weight-distributing hitch means modifying the trailer, not modifying the vehicle. Correct?

if it were me, and money wasnt the major issue, i would just go fullsize, just makes more sense. the heavier the tow rig, the better off you are, to a point, i mean as long as you have a fullsize with some balls, and some trailer brakes, you can pretty much tow and xj as far as you want. i do know a guy that tows his tj with all his gear and enough junk for a family of 4 with a WJ though.....

Yeah, the main reason i initially bought the ZJ for a DD, was because my XJ is so unreliable, i wanted something that could tow. And mind you, the ZJ gets the job done, but if your doin long hauls, its scary as hell to get caught in cross winds with that much deadweight behind you.

I don't understand everyones problems towing. The 4.0 xj's are rated for 5000 lbs or 25ft which ever comes first if properly equipped. I own a 24ft flat bed that I have towed close to or slightly over that before. they will do it and safely if setup with load leveling and sway control devices also trailer brakes.

I just got another xj and plan on trailering it with the first xj. But I do plan on selling my big trailer and making a smaller light weight tandem axle tandem brake trailer and use my current load leveling hitch and duel sway control devices.

I don't understand everyones problems towing. The 4.0 xj's are rated for 5000 lbs or 25ft which ever comes first if properly equipped.

Safety comes to my mind. Whatever you are towing can become a big pendulum and push the prime mover/tow vehicle all over the road. It's physics. The distance from the ball to the wheels of the trailer is a big ole lever with trailer tires as the fulcrum point. Sure tow vehicles are "rated" for a specific GVW, but that doesn't mean it is safe. Weight distribution with spring bars, sway control bars and having electric brakes on the vehicles do lessen the risk. I prefer a big honkin truck or 3/4 Suburban for my trailer. When I towed the XJ (3,400lbs) on a flat trailer (1,800lbs) a thousand miles to Moab a few years back I had the spring bars, sway bars and electric brakes hooked up.

Go diesel. Its the only way to tow. I laugh at tahoes going up hills. Towing with something made to tow is the way to do it. ZJ's are cars, don't tow anything more then a Jetski with it.

Back