• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRAIL RIDE - MARCH 11

Yeah, not happy about the forecast for Friday, but Weather Underground is saying it'll only be an inch - hope they're right this time.

Say, Rich, is there anything we can bring for the lunch festivities, such as supplies (food/drink/accessories), infrastructure(chairs/canopies/etc.)?

Thank you for asking, Rob, that is much appreciated! It appears as though we have everything covered as to food, I I would hope most folks know just to bring chairs along for themselves. It's a pretty basic lunch, I'm making chicken chili and buttered rolls, Jordan is handling basic sides and some light beverages. But again, I thank you for asking, it means a lot!
Rich

Thank you for asking, Rob, that is much appreciated! It appears as though we have everything covered as to food, I I would hope most folks know just to bring chairs along for themselves. It's a pretty basic lunch, I'm making chicken chili and buttered rolls, Jordan is handling basic sides and some light beverages. But again, I thank you for asking, it means a lot!
Rich

Ok, sounds good. I'll definitely make sure I don't forget my chair.

Question to the group at large: I've noticed that there seem to be a lot of issues with I-78 out west of Route 100 when it snows (lots of big pile-ups in recent years, from the traffic reports I've heard on TV/radio). Any tips for handling 78 and 81 in the snow in that area that I should be aware of, besides the obvious stuff (increased following distance, reduced speed, etc.)?

We are working on putting something together for dinner for Saturday night at Twin Grove. Thoughts are walking tacos or the like made with chicken (we have a lot of chicken in the freezer right now) or maybe build your own soft tacos or something. If anyone wants to throw in anything additional as a side that would be great too. And bring along your favorite beverage. Sound good to everyone?

A.

Question to the group at large: I've noticed that there seem to be a lot of issues with I-78 out west of Route 100 when it snows (lots of big pile-ups in recent years, from the traffic reports I've heard on TV/radio). Any tips for handling 78 and 81 in the snow in that area that I should be aware of, besides the obvious stuff (increased following distance, reduced speed, etc.)?

Everything as of now looks like a mild snow (2-4 inches). It may make the trails more interesting, but I don't see any potential issues with the drive there. The roads are still warm enough that glazing shouldn't be an issue until late Friday night for any moisture left. Keep in mind it is also forecast to be windy, which will help dry the roads. In short, I'm not sweating the drive up or back, just keep an eye out for any patches of black ice.

I"m bunking at the Hampton Inn by exit 100 tonight, so I can just turn up the heat if it gets cold.

Yes, it is forecast to be very cold overnight. If you are indeed looking at tent camping, if I may ask how big is your tent? A simple sheet under the rain fly covering the screens helps big time. I've tented in sub-20 degree nights, so I may be able to help. I have two propane fired tent heaters. Just say the word and I'll bring them with me to get you through the night.
Rich

thanks it's small, it fits our 2 cots, us an our pups, with a foot of space at the door. thanks for the sheet tip, would a tarp or banket be better ?

we got 5-6" last night with more due later 2 day. well make out when the weather is warmer, at least the p/s pump is in, and didn't leak :yelclap: when I parked it in the garage I rent.

the high ways have better road info signs, that give time and distance, and weather some times. try not to travel in packs, and you be ok. unless they don't run the plows, and you cant help the other chuckle heads that go to fast for road conditions, on summer tires :gonnablow after towing as much as I do I know what 18 wheeler drivers hate cars so much:passgas:

Dang. Looks like I'm out. A guy at work passed away earlier this week and the funeral is saturday. Wish I could be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im getting some loose ends tied up and loading the jeep to be ready to head out bright and early tomorrow. I definitely cant bail now that Jordan pulled that axle for me in a snow storm. lol

Just sitting down to dinner at the Midway Diner. Been a good ride so far

Just got home, had a good time.

....you missed a good trailride, but you made the right call not camping. I work outdoors most every day, and for whatever reason it was bitterly cold up there in a way even I could not stand, even in a cabin.

Back