• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Ride April 16th - Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area

I'll be in the AOAA parking lot around 8:30 on Saturday morning. We can all meet up around then and hopefully hit the trails by 9:30. I've never been there so I don't really know the check in process.

We can meet around my tow vehicle .... a big white Suburban. You can't miss it.

I'm looking forward to this!!

Dude, after this ****ing week from hell. I can't wait either. I want to wheel, drink, eat and sleep. I don't care the order

Yes, really need to get out wheeling and get away from the home projects for the weekend. The XJ needs a good "season" shake down too. And the weather may be a little chilly, but otherwise perfect. My 9 yr old son is coming with me, and I think Jordan (MrSimon) is bringing two of his kids too. We may have to go find the underground fire area at AOAA just for the cool factor too.

There WILL be some fireside time at the CG, but we'll have to keep it slightly PG until the kids go to bed.:cheers:

Nice. I don't think we'll be doing anything real extreme .... mostly just riding around the park and exploring. This will be the first time there for a lot of us.

We had a great day!

There were seven rigs in total. I think I got pictures of everyone.

AOAA is a pretty impressive place. It's HUGE. It's also very well organized and staffed. Things move smoothly and everything is done top notch. They obviously have plenty of money (state grant I believe) and someone behind the scenes has a passion for off-roading and is dedicated to doing things properly.

The trail system is sprawling (much bigger than Rausch) and the scenery is really pretty impressive.

There are only two down sides that I see. First, there are dirt bikes and 4 wheelers everywhere. For the most part it isn't a problem, but occasionally they get in the way and are annoying. Second, we had a really hard time finding challenging terrain. We spent all morning and the first part of the afternoon on the recently opened West property and just couldn't find any rocks to play on. We did find some stuff late in the day back on the East property that was good, but not great.

I'm certain that there is good rock crawling there (I've seen videos), but we couldn't find it.

I think this is the kind of place where you need to put in a lot of seat time to learn the park and find the type of terrain that you prefer.

My Jeep at Twin Grove waiting to get dirty.
IMG_3932.JPG

Andy's son and my two kids ready for the trails:
IMG_3947.JPG

Talk about a sprawling parking lot. It was full too!
IMG_3954.JPG

Matt and his Land Cruiser. That thing is a plush ride, for sure.
IMG_3955.JPG

Jon and his new 37's. He said the rears would stuff just fine, but he spend all morning with a hammer in his hand:laugh3:
IMG_3956.JPG

Mike considering his upcoming LS swap.
IMG_3957.JPG

Mike has the nicest leather seats I've ever seen in an XJ. I'm going to steal them.
IMG_3958.JPG

This quarry pond was crystal clear and at the bottom of a 200 foot ravine. The picture doesn't do it justice. I was terrified my kids were going to fall down.
IMG_3960.JPG

They call this rock formation the Humpback Whale ... I don't see it.
IMG_3968.JPG

Eric diagnosing his non-starting Renix. It took him less than 10 minutes to track down the issue, fix it, and then roll out for dinner. The guy is an XJ genius.
IMG_3973.JPG

Andy and his beastly two-door. I think he ran everything in 2 wheel.
IMG_3974.JPG

Finishing off the day in proper fashion!
IMG_3978.JPG

Sunday morning bike ride for the family folk.
IMG_3984.JPG

Mike (red xj) and Matt (Yota) went back on Sunday and found the rocks we were looking for on the Eastern property.

That was a fun trip, I liked the exploring part even though it got a little annoying when we would hit dead ends. I really regretted hitting all of those mud holes on the way home. My jeep smelled like low tide in the sun. Took me and my brother some time to power wash it all off.

Can't wait for Nacfest!! I have to start gathering spare parts. I have some pictures I will post. I also got most of the trip on my GoPro mounted on my windshield, once I get the video cleaned up I will post the videos so you can see what I saw and hear me singing along to Taylor Swift

Great time was had that is for sure. It was also great to meet you guys too. I guess no matter how many times I tried flexing that thing out (to make sure it was bump stopped correctly and would clear) it managed to catch this time, oh well time to make some tweeks befoe Nacfest. Looking forward to seeing all of you out there!

Hi gents,
Yes, what a great day and a cool place to check out. It was good to meet the Mikes, John and Matt too. Would share a trail with you guys any day! Does red XJ Mike or Matt have more details on where the rocky trails are on the eastern side? I know there is a larger rock garden on the western side, but (clearly) have no idea where it is. Does Anthracite have a forum? Have to do more digging and see if I can figure it out.

Wish I could have been there. :(

Back