• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Head Offroad (THOR) Cowl Induction Cold Air Intake

Do you hear the intake suction that others speak about with similar (home made) cowl intake?
The only time I hear anything is for about 3 seconds after a cold start. I don't know builds up and quiets down but that's how it goes.

Is that RV poop pipe?
Haha! No, it was some universal 3" intake tube made by Sceptre. I got it from Autozone.

I already ditch the OEM filter box in favour of a second battery. There is a cone filter wedged between the break master cylinder and the battery. I want to relocate that cone filter or replace it with something else placed some where else. Enter THOR Cowl Induction Kit.
I can understand that. I would also like to offer up an alternative as assembled by EricsXJ. http://ericsxj.com/intake/intake.htm

5071.jpg

Well right now, I'm a PFC (Private F*ing Civilian) but I was 6432...Avionics...how long ago were you in CFR here?
:sure: Minor thread hijack...

You two guys ever hit up militaryjeepers.com?

back to regularly scheduled discussion...

Ok, for those (like me) who like the Spectre cowl intake system, I spoke with a fella named George in the R&D department. He has informed me that the intake for the newer XJ's should be available in the next 60-90 days. Although he doesn't know of a price, he is thinking it should be in line with their other Jeep intakes. Somewhere in the $200 range, but don't hold me or him to that as I stated above, he is in the R&D department. Also, I got some pictures of their prototype installed in a newer XJ. I asked him about the welds and he said they will remove as many as they can, but any angle too sharp for the mandrel will have to be welded. Pics to follow.

DSCN5285.jpg

DSCN5287.jpg

DSCN5288.jpg

So why would this design not fit older XJs? I prefer it to the first ... but mine's a '92.

I had the same question...here was the response I received from George in the R&D dept.

"The ’87-’90 have a different throttle body that is not compatible with the newer Jeeps and there are some other differences as well. The kit for the newer XJ’s is P/N 9948 and should be available in the next 60-90 days."

I would like this intake much better if injection molded plastic tubing was used instead of metal. With the underhood temps as high as they are in the limited real estate of our XJs/MJs, the metal tubing would probably heat up negate the advantage of the cold air intake. Especially in the 100-degree summers in 'Bama and elsewhere. But the cost of tooling up for the plastic tubing would prolly driver the cost up........

I do like the inline air filter, depending on it's filtering medium and if it's wet or dry. Any input for this? -Don

I would like this intake much better if injection molded plastic tubing was used instead of metal. With the underhood temps as high as they are in the limited real estate of our XJs/MJs, the metal tubing would probably heat up negate the advantage of the cold air intake. Especially in the 100-degree summers in 'Bama and elsewhere. But the cost of tooling up for the plastic tubing would prolly driver the cost up........

I do like the inline air filter, depending on it's filtering medium and if it's wet or dry. Any input for this? -Don

It is a wet filter as far as I know...I plan on replacing mine with an amsoil dry filter or similar if unavailable from them

Back