• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Head Offroad (THOR) Cowl Induction Cold Air Intake

It does require cutting of the firewall into the cowl space. It does not go into the interior of the vehicle.

Does that thing come with instructions of how to do the install? Is there a writeup some where on how it is done?

The final question;
That tube crossing the valve cover is it plastic or metal?
High heat come to mind which exsist between the valve cover and the hood of the XJ.

Yes it has very good instructions. I had to widen my hole a couple of times. The tube is metal and heat transfer from a solid to gas would be minimal if your worried about intake air temps. The air is drawn in through the vent by the driver side wiper arm.

I use it and am satisfied with it's performance and design. Another thing I like about using this design is it opened up the area where the stock box was for my power steering cooler.

Yes it has very good instructions.

Another thing I like about using this design is it opened up the area where the stock box was .

Thanks Los Lobos.

I also could use that space to mount other things.

Do you hear the intake suction that others speak about with similar (home made) cowl intake?

The final question;
That tube crossing the valve cover is it plastic or metal?
High heat come to mind which exsist between the valve cover and the hood of the XJ.

You do realize our intake manifold sits right ON TOP of our exhaust manifold?The heat transfer difference between a plastic or metal intake tube would be trivial compared to the amount of heat transfer that takes place with our intake manifold.

That is a very expensive option for a cowl snorkel! I'm a cheapskate. I spent $20 on the tube and $5 on some high quality black sealant.

snorkel09-.jpg

Yes you can hear a the intake a little more, but there is no coolness factor like when my twin turbos light off in the big truck. Then you know you got some suction taken place. If the sound were to bother you one could spray undercoating on the metal into the passenger compartment.

That is a very expensive option for a cowl snorkel! I'm a cheapskate. I spent $20 on the tube and $5 on some high quality black sealant.

snorkel09-.jpg

I already ditch the OEM filter box in favour of a second battery. There is a cone filter wedged between the break master cylinder and the battery. I want to relocate that cone filter or replace it with something else placed some where else. Enter THOR Cowl Induction Kit.

Looks great, thanks for the pictures. When you enlarged the 4" hole with the grinder, would it have been easier to use a 4.5" or 5" hole saw instead?

Yeah, 4" was to small hight wise. 5" might work. The hole needs to be oval because of the angle. A plazzmatik would be best. Be sure and vacuum up all the metal shavings from the cowl.

So does the filter just thru the hole in the firewall?
Yeah, through the hole and into the cowl.

Last edited:
Noise level? Looks like a nice product, what's your impression of the kit?

I love it. I will be adding it to the list of things to get for the XJ.

Thanks for the pictures and the write up.

Seems like a nice product to me, I'll be buying one soon. The price is cheaper than most other intakes and the design is great! This would compliment the treks inner fenders nicely

i agree that the price isn't bad compared to intakes and safari snorkels.

a member on here, Muddeprived built a real nice setup as well from Home Depot or the likes.

Back