• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Air: CO2/Nitrogen or...?

Thats really good. I have 31s (probably wont be going up in size anytime soon) and youre also going 20PSI on each fill up. I plan to run my tires at 15psi off road, so I fully expect to get a little more out of a 10lb tank.

I run a 20lb setup on my Rover and can fill my 33x12.50x15s from
15-35PSI ~ 40x. But I do run air tools so I cant honestly say I've ever filled that many on a full tank. On my daughters Xj I plan on setting up my 10lb system next to where the spare would go. I sell CO2 systems so I have a setup for any/every application (fixed regulators, adjustable regs and such). Here's a matrix i use as a helpful reference that the people at PowerTank put together:
http://powertank.com/full.chart.html

You can anticipate being able to fill between what it says for the 30x9.5 and 32x11.5 tires. Helpful chart, thanks PowerTank.

I recommend a 150 or 175# fixed regulator for the sake of cost, simplicity and reliability. They are set a little high for running air tools, but I run cheap air tools anyway with my CO2 stuff since its corrosive and I can't say I religiously oil my trail tools. If you are consistent about oiling your good
tools then a 125PSI regulator is the way to go for tool longevity.

I haven't gotten around to putting an air chuck on my ARB compressor yet, one day I'll do that as backup air (CO2 will always be faster).

I got that compressor for free along with a D-30 ARB locker. I think ARB lockers are unreliable and extra maintenance(I like the concept though) so I sold it used to buy my new full case Detroit and still had money left over.

The ARB compressor works good, I only use it for airing up. I can do two 35" tires from 15-35psi with CO2 while the ARB does one. Its a good back-up air source

I run a 20lb setup on my Rover and can fill my 33x12.50x15s from
15-35PSI ~ 40x. But I do run air tools so I cant honestly say I've ever filled that many on a full tank. On my daughters Xj I plan on setting up my 10lb system next to where the spare would go. I sell CO2 systems so I have a setup for any/every application (fixed regulators, adjustable regs and such). Here's a matrix i use as a helpful reference that the people at PowerTank put together:
http://powertank.com/full.chart.html

You can anticipate being able to fill between what it says for the 30x9.5 and 32x11.5 tires. Helpful chart, thanks PowerTank.

I recommend a 150 or 175# fixed regulator for the sake of cost, simplicity and reliability. They are set a little high for running air tools, but I run cheap air tools anyway with my CO2 stuff since its corrosive and I can't say I religiously oil my trail tools. If you are consistent about oiling your good
tools then a 125PSI regulator is the way to go for tool longevity.

Thanks for all the info. I plan to get a fixed 150# regulator. I dont plan to run air tools with the tank, it will strictly be for airing up tires. Of course, I dont like to say I wont ever run an air tool here or there with it, but I dont primarily plan to do so. The only tool I could think of I would run with it would be an impact wrench. For that, Id buy a cheap HF one or something.

One other possibility is the newer Warn PowerPlant winch/compressor combos. I recently had to replace my winch, and got the Powerplant. It was a $300 premium over the same winch without the compressor. The installation is very clean, though the winch is bigger (wider) than a standard winch.

The performance is nothing short of awesome. I didn't time it, but I could air up my 33s from 12 to 35psi in just a couple of minutes. The rating on the unit is pretty impressive. Most of the Viair units are rated at around 1 cfm at 90 psi. The Warn unit is rated at 5 cfm at 90 psi. Tha'ts about the same as a 2 HP shop compressor.

The other advantage is the unit takes up no inside room, and requires no additional wiring to the battery. Obviously, unless you're already replacing a winch, it is a pricey alternative. But if you're in the market for a winch anyway, I think it's a pretty good deal.

David Bricker / SYR

Thanks for all the info. I plan to get a fixed 150# regulator. I dont plan to run air tools with the tank, it will strictly be for airing up tires. Of course, I dont like to say I wont ever run an air tool here or there with it, but I dont primarily plan to do so. The only tool I could think of I would run with it would be an impact wrench. For that, Id buy a cheap HF one or something.

That's the way to go. If you cant find a regulator for cheaper than $45 shipped let me know. I rock the HF tools in my trail kit as well. I do use a nicer Husky 1/2" impact with my CO2 on occasion. But I use my adjustable regulator and set it at 130 and oil the wrench regularly. No rust, no harm. Get a 45* street elbow for the fixed regulator it keep the hose from being pointed straight down. I'll see if I can get a pic of how mine are setup.

here:
$%28KGrHqIOKkQE1p5zCm%28WBNk7j%28bhd!~~_12.JPG

Last edited:
Both OBA: Air compressor and CO2

That's the way to go. If you cant find a regulator for cheaper than $45 shipped let me know. I rock the HF tools in my trail kit as well. I do use a nicer Husky 1/2" impact with my CO2 on occasion. But I use my adjustable regulator and set it at 130 and oil the wrench regularly. No rust, no harm. Get a 45* street elbow for the fixed regulator it keep the hose from being pointed straight down. I'll see if I can get a pic of how mine are setup.

here:

Thats a nice setup! I figured Id get a HF tool so if it did rust, I wouldnt be super heart broken about it. Im very particular about maintenance in general, so it probably will never be an issue...but just in case.

My plan is after the holidays to start getting all this together. I want to see what comes along for Christmas before I commit to my "next" project...but this one is definitely on my short list.

What about icing when running at 150psi?

Icing happens on every regulator on very long pulls but my regs never freeze clog. You get some outlet pressure drop (~5-10PSI) but no clogging. If run an air chisel for 45 min straight, busting concrete. My 20lb tank was almost used up from full and half of the tank was frozen along with the regulator, but it kept flowing and going, no prob.

Icing is fine. Just use a nice hose.

Thats a nice setup! I figured Id get a HF tool so if it did rust, I wouldnt be super heart broken about it. Im very particular about maintenance in general, so it probably will never be an issue...but just in case.

My plan is after the holidays to start getting all this together. I want to see what comes along for Christmas before I commit to my "next" project...but this one is definitely on my short list.

If you need components or a whole system, let me know. My 10lb. mounting brackets are the best on the planet. Everything else is like every other high end kit, all about the same.

I don't personally don't use/or sell proprietary tanks because I like to just swap my tanks out at the industrial gas place and be done with it no waiting. Plus you never have to worry about hydotesting that way. Pretty tanks are nothing but a waste of money, unless you're insecure about the appearance of your tank.

here:

I haven't been able to find any regs that cheap other than harbor freight, do you have a hookup?

I haven't been able to find any regs that cheap other than harbor freight, do you have a hookup?

The HF freight reg is terrible. It will work for a little bit in a pinch, but those do freeze clog. I have an account with a distributor, so I get the reg and stuff wholesale and pass the savings to other enthusiasts.

If you need components or a whole system, let me know. My 10lb. mounting brackets are the best on the planet. Everything else is like every other high end kit, all about the same.

I don't personally don't use/or sell proprietary tanks because I like to just swap my tanks out at the industrial gas place and be done with it no waiting. Plus you never have to worry about hydotesting that way. Pretty tanks are nothing but a waste of money, unless you're insecure about the appearance of your tank.

I'm thinking of finding a good mounting location for mine in the XJ. How much are your mounting brackets?

Back