• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Air: CO2/Nitrogen or...?

Ed, I meant to add that I only get mine filled once a year and usually go on at least 10 wheelin trips a year. I air-down to 16psi and air back up to 35psi for the road. That's on 35's

Others will use the can at the end of trips as well. I don't keep up with how many tires i air up a year with one tank but it has to be 60 or so. I believe that a full tank has around 1500psi in it when full, maybe more.

I'll just add that I do have one of the best Viair compressors, and it does take way to long to fill tires, even with a 5 gallon air tank. I use air for a locker(used to be lockers), and an air horn. Next time I'll have electic lockers, and a CO2 tank. :)

I'll just add that I do have one of the best Viair compressors, and it does take way to long to fill tires, even with a 5 gallon air tank. I use air for a locker(used to be lockers), and an air horn. Next time I'll have electic lockers, and a CO2 tank. :)

Thanks, Fred. I enjoy it when someone shares their real world perspective. Especially since I was (originally) considering the Viair setup. I will not be running lockers or an air horn, so its sounding more and more like a tank is the way to go for me.

I bought a 20lb CO2 tank off of my local craiglist for $45. I bought a 150PSI fixed regulator for $50. Then I bought a tank mount like "sunburned". I mounted in the same place. Works for me.
I can exchange tanks at the welding supply house or refill at a local Coca-Cola distributer. One advantage of the welding house supply exchange system is I don't have to pay for the recertification as I just swap tanks when it is due.

25 (i think) C02 tank here... its pretty big. love it.

6c29ccb6-9599-0889.jpg

Is it ok to mix co2 with regular compressed air I already have in my tires? Anyone have any links to a decent priced regulator?

I prefer an electric air ride suspension compressor and a tank, run the compressor as you drive to keep the tank topped off, refill after use. Sometimes requires more amps at the alternator but I build high amps so makes no difference to me, but it is nice to know air is always there when you need it.

What make is that tool box I really like your setup!

The tool box was hand made by Hadfield4wd's dad(Hadfield is my neighbor and wheelin buddy) he was going to toss it after he sold his XJ so I took it and used it for a couple of years. Its sitting in storage now. I like it too much to get rid of it and its well built. Matt's dad was a school shop teacher and is a hell of a carpenter. I could easily carry all of my tools and trail spares/fluids in that one box and it fit behind the rear seat. When I went to 35's I could no longer put a spare on top so I took it out.

Now my spare sits on the floor in the rear and all of my tools are in storage bins. My spares are below where the rear seat use to be. I can turn the back of the rig into a sleeping area in less than 5 min. Screw pitching a tent!

^^ That's the tank setup I have. "The Source". It was the cheapest at the time I bought it but still works fine years later.

I use an old SCOTT SCBA tank with a OXY/ACT regulator on top.

The steel tanks hold ~2500psi while the carbon tanks hold ~4500psi.

I did this because I had access to a bunch of tanks and can fill them for free at the FDPT.

I can regulate it up to 200 psi. I can fill up my 35" tires from 8psi to 30psi maybe 6 times. Run air tools if I need to.

02-10-08_2156.jpg

CO2 seems to last way longer but since mine is free it was the way to go.

Where is the best place to have a CO2 tank refilled?

I get the 10 lb CO2 tank filled at a local home-brew soft drink/draft beer supply store. About $12 and ten minutes to refill the tank.
I get about 8 refills, raising the 33's from 10 psi to 30 psi.

Another vote for 10lb aluminum CO2, works well for me on 35s.

PS - The seepage with CO2 is true, I've witnessed it many times. Just keep an eye on your tires and it's no big deal.

I get the 10 lb CO2 tank filled at a local home-brew soft drink/draft beer supply store. About $12 and ten minutes to refill the tank.
I get about 8 refills, raising the 33's from 10 psi to 30 psi.

Thats really good. I have 31s (probably wont be going up in size anytime soon) and youre also going 20PSI on each fill up. I plan to run my tires at 15psi off road, so I fully expect to get a little more out of a 10lb tank.

I use an old SCOTT SCBA tank with a OXY/ACT regulator on top.

The steel tanks hold ~2500psi while the carbon tanks hold ~4500psi.

I did this because I had access to a bunch of tanks and can fill them for free at the FDPT.

I can regulate it up to 200 psi. I can fill up my 35" tires from 8psi to 30psi maybe 6 times. Run air tools if I need to.

02-10-08_2156.jpg

CO2 seems to last way longer but since mine is free it was the way to go.

My tank is a Catalina diving tank. I got it from UltimateAir(now out of business) I got the high-flow reg and mounting bracket for $200.

If I had it to do over. I would just make my own, much cheaper!

An up to date pic of my current OBA set-up including the ARB compressor.

1130121231.jpg

And yes that is a spare fuel pump hanging on the rack in the back window LOL!
1130121234.jpg

Back