• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Air: CO2/Nitrogen or...?

Jhumphrey

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Ive been looking for some air options. Since running OBA isnt in my wheelhouse (now or probably ever), Ive been looking into CO2 / Nitrogen for my tires while offroading. Obviously, this would be used to repair flats and air up at the end of the day. The one thing I have not found is how far a tank of air/nitrogen will go. I realize there are outside factors to consider with that question (such as temperature), but overall, how much can I do with say a 20lb tank?

I did read on one site that he was getting 80 tires (from 15lbs to 30lbs) out of a tank (Im presuming his tank was 20lbs of CO2). Is that right? If it is, that would be a very viable option for me, as I am not wanting to run air tools, etc. Im just looking for a way to air up my tires after riding and if I repair a flat on the trail.

I am also looking into other options, like Viair.

Thanks!

just.... no....
buy this

I havent heard very good things about air compressors like that. To explain that a little better, Ive heard they arent reliable (die, wont inflate, etc). I have a trail buddy that is planning to put OBA on his CJ, but I dont want to solely rely on him being around.

I am building my XJ for overland type of use. While I do light trail riding, mudding, etc., its primary function is camping/hunting. Hence why Im looking for a way to air up tires and fix flats. This would not be a constant use system.

BTW, why the hate on the tank?

A lot of people run CO2. It's fine for your purposes, though it does take up some space.

CO2 fills up my 35's at least 3-4 times from 13-27 psi. Great option for trail air and can even run air tools. Only issue is that CO2 can leak out through tires quicker than regular air, so your tires will lose air slowly after a while, but this is like weeks or months, not days.

I run a 10 lb tank. Very convenient, quiet and fast compared to a small compressor.

A lot of people run CO2. It's fine for your purposes, though it does take up some space.

Thanks, Fred. Though Ive been looking around, I havent really been able to hammer down how far a tank will go. That would certainly help on the space issue...whether I'd need a 5, 10, or 20lbs tank. Ideally, I'd want to be able to air up my tires several times (and help out buddies, if they need it to) before refilling.

From what I know about CO2 and also from what Ive read, it sounds like this would be a better option for me than a Viair setup. As Ive said before, I dont plan to run air tools with it, just make repairs. I would also like to be able to mount this upright in the back of the XJ, but I could also mount it to the safari basket (a future purchase).

I've run CO2 for probably 10 years. The biggest problem I have had is when people "borrow" some air and don't turn off the valve when they get done. A slow leak will take down a 20lb bottle in a couple of days.

I have never noticed any slow leakage on my 35's.

CO2 works the best. I don't remember the exact facts but it will last longer than N2. That said, I run nitrogen so I can work on race shocks. I have used the cheap 12volt compressors...takes forever but gets the job done eventually haha.

20lb CO2 lasts me quite a while. I have never counted fill ups, but I would have to say at least 20-30 air ups from 12 psi to 30psi (on a 35" tire). I also run my air horns off the tank. a 20 pounder will last quite a while.

Also, I would be reinstalling my last valve stem cap before that cheap pump would be half way finished airing up one tire. Just the way it is.

Thanks guys. It seems that a 10-20lb tank would be great. Maybe I should go with a 10lb for now and get a 20lb later. That way, Ill have something for the trail and if its not enough, Ill have a spare later. It seems (from what I can find) the most popular choice is 10lbs for most jeep enthusiast.

just.... no....
buy this

seriously?

I can't gauge exactly how many tires i fill up because I also use it for air tools, re-seating beads and whatnot when on the trail. But it always impresses me and will last me a few runs filling up both my tires and often a couple other rigs each time.

I carry a 10# CO2 bottle and I have the older style ARB compressor on board as a back up or to air up other rigs tires. I can fill up 3 tires with the CO2 while the ARB fills up one. My CO2 will run air tools as well and comes in handy when getting parts off a donor in a JY or out in a field somewhere. I seldom use air tools on the trail, its just too much crap to carry.

10lb doesn't take up much room. The other tanks are taller, but I believe will still fit vertically in an XJ. In this pic, mine was bolted to the spare tire bracket. I now have it mounted flat on a shelf.

IMG_3580.jpg

Sunburned, that picture is exactly where Im thinking of mounting my tank. Since my tires are to large (31x10.5) to fit on the spare tire mount, I was thinking that would be the perfect spot to sit a tank.

I also like what everyone else has said about their tanks. It seems like a very viable option and would be well suited for me. When I had my YJ, we went off road trail riding maybe once every 3 months. I plan to do a little more once my buddy gets his CJ ready (engine swap) and I get mine where I want it exactly.

10lb doesn't take up much room. The other tanks are taller, but I believe will still fit vertically in an XJ. In this pic, mine was bolted to the spare tire bracket. I now have it mounted flat on a shelf.

IMG_3580.jpg

I mounted mine in the same place but higher. I no longer run this tool box. I took the back seat out and made tool/spares storage there instead.

24.jpg

just.... no....
buy this

I know what you mean. He just needs to get a good reliable air compressor.
Roughly 78% of compressed air is Nitrogen anyway. You should be able to
fill your tires and top it off once or twice a month afterwards and it would
be the equivalent of filling your tires with Nitrogen. Don't waste your money
on that crap. If your tires are always going down then you have a leak somewhere.

I know what you mean. He just needs to get a good reliable air compressor.
Roughly 78% of compressed air is Nitrogen anyway. You should be able to
fill your tires and top it off once or twice a month afterwards and it would
be the equivalent of filling your tires with Nitrogen. Don't waste your money
on that crap. If your tires are always going down then you have a leak somewhere.

My tires aren't always leaking, I want to air down for trails and air up to drive home. As stated in other posts, the typical compressor is to small/weak to really do much and are unreliable.

Where is the best place to have a CO2 tank refilled?

Back