• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tires for a 97 cherokee

regev

NAXJA Forum User
i am a new owner (but proud...) of a 97 cherokee. i am looking for advice regarding tires, size and brand. the goal is to have a set that would do the job in snowy icy roads and yet be good for dry summer as well.
thanks in advance

I think there was still some variation in the OEM tire size in 97, but most models came with 225/75R15s -- the base (SE) model may have had 215/75R15.

225/75R15 is a good choice. The largest you can go without encountering some rubbing is 235/75R15, which would probably be my choice. That's what I currently run on my 88 and I think they look good. They fill out the wheel arch nicely without looking like you tried to stuff in too much tire.

Your proposed use sounds like mine. I like Cooper tires. They wear exceedingly well, they are made in the USA, and they are priced attractively. The ones I like are the original Discoverers, which have a tread very simillar to the Dunlop Radial Rover ... but last much longer. This is what Cooper now sells as the Discoverer LT. However, the Discoverer LT doesn't come with a wear guarantee. They also sell the Discoverer A/T, which has a 40,000 or 50,000 mile tread life guarantee. My first set of Discoverers lasted over 100,000 miles, so for me the guarantee is a piece of paper ... I'd buy the LTs again because I like the tire better and I think it'll outlive the warranty on the other model with no problem.

If you'll be doing a lot of highway miles and want a tire that's more oriented toward that use, look at the Discoverer H/T.

Eagle said:
The largest you can go without encountering some rubbing is 235/75R15, which would probably be my choice.

On the 97 you will have to limit the steering stops with a washer or two to prevent the 235's from rubbing on the control arms.

Just dealt with the same issue on my 98 Classic. Since it is a daily driver (no money so no life :mad: ) my two tire choices were Discoverer H/T and A/T. I have ran 2 sets of 225/70r15 on my 94 Dakota (2wd) and they did great in rain/snow and got decent life from them if I could resist smokin them off. Here is a pic:
discovererHT.jpg

Decided on the A/T with its more open/aggressive tread in the 235/70r15 size (same approx rolling diameter as the stock 225/75r15 but wider tread and firmer sidewall due to the 70 series which improved handling) :
discovererAT.jpg

They are somewhat noiser on the open road than the H/T but the Jeep is not quiet like her car so who cares!!!

I will dig up some pics installed

FYI: Here is the LT mentioned above and it is a Light truck tire so will have a stiffer sidewall.
discovererLT.jpg

I had 235/75/15 BFGoodrich All Terrain KO's on my Jeep for a while, and loved them. I didn't have any rubbing, and they wear very well. Their on road manners are good and wet roads aren't a problem. Off road they do very very well. I would say they are an all around good tire. But, I switched to 31/10.5/15 TrXuS MT's when I got my 3" lift.
I'm running BFG A/T KOs on my '88 now. I find them to be very "greasy" on wet pavement. The Cooper Discoverers (mine were the originals, what is now the Discoverer Radial LT) were FAR superior to the BFGs on wet pavement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the Coop A/T's on my '97 for 3 years now & they're wearing great. At just $100 a pop; they were really a good bargain. Be cautious wet braking though, they'll spin pretty good too...

I stopped at sams club last nite to pickup some mobil-1 for sat and checked out the tires there, they had BFG AT/KO's for $104 a tire + $7 for the M/B/disposal/Tax.... They were 235/75R15's, the 31's were $118 ea... but they also had a special 4 pack price took them down a few bucks too...

Gotta put a plug in for the Cooper AT's, I got a set of 235/75 put on for less
than $400, balanced and free rotations, 50/50 warranty. So far they have been great, they don't spin on wet pavement where the old Gootyears did,
and the ride is excellent. One of the best deals out there for the money.

Osprey413 said:
I had 235/75/15 BFGoodrich All Terrain KO's on my Jeep for a while, and loved them. I didn't have any rubbing, and they wear very well. Their on road manners are good and wet roads aren't a problem. Off road they do very very well. I would say they are an all around good tire. But, I switched to 31/10.5/15 TrXuS MT's when I got my 3" lift.
I'm running BFG A/T KOs on my '88 now. I find them to be very "greasy" on wet pavement. The Cooper Discoverers (mine were the originals, what is now the Discoverer Radial LT) were FAR superior to the BFGs on wet pavement.

When you went to the truck rated tires (31x10.50) you picked up a few plys and a rating for more weight and psi. In exchange you probably gave up some sidewall and tread flexibility and ride quality. Hence the greasy feel. I did the same on my Blazer without thinking and later regretted it, but to get the big tires, there isn't much other choice.

many thanks

good people, thank you all for the vast info and good will.
my budjet is around 110 bucks a tire and they are required to carry me and the mrs. in a winter that chalenges us with ice as well as snow on the paved roads. they will also be used off road but not wildly.
i have the oe rims, and not sure how well will they acommodate the 235's, directions will be most appreciated.

again, a big thank you for each and every one of you for the detailed answers and attention, its great to rely on a fellow's experience insted of shooting in the dark.

The OE rims, steel or aluminum, will handle LT235/75R15's with no problem.

Good timing with this post. I'm seeking to replace the Wild Country RVT's, which came on the vehicle when I bought it, as they are at the wears bars. I was not to familiar with Cooper as truck tires, but in reading around, there seems to be a lot of liking for them. I've currently narrowed my choices down to either the Toyo Open Country A/T, Cooper Discovery A/T, or Pirelli Scorpion A/T.

Although the forum favorites of A/T's seem to be the BFG's and Nevos, does anyone have a good source for actual tire tests (vs. reviews)? Tirerack has not really tested many tires geared towards Jeeps.

If this is a concern: The Discoverer A/T is quieter than the Toyo. We testdrove 2 Jeeps before we got the current 98, one with each brand tire and the Toyo's hummed driving around town, the Discoverer A/T does not. I believe the tread is more open which causes this. I am guessing you probably get the Coopers for about 10-15 less a tire.

Travis

Actaully the best test 'review' is to go to an off roading event and see what everyone else is running on mostly stock DD rigs. I think mainly you will see BFG and goodyear, the GY's are probably 'leftovers' from when they bought it or owners replacing them with what was on it when they got it. Like my S-10, it came with wranglers so thats what I kept buying for it, they lasted 50K and I was happy more or less but that was before I really knew there there big differences in AT's...
I've had GY's, Pirelli's, Dunlops and finally bfg's on my 98. They all had their pros and cons, the GY's were terrible on wet roads, the pirelli scorpions were awesome when sears sold them for $70 a tire, not so awsome when they stopped and local pirelli dealers wanted $140... Dunlops rover AT's were OK but were only so-so on wet roads. The BFG AT/KO's are proving to be a good all round tire, wet roads a bit better than the Dunlops, pretty good in snow, very good off road. Sams club and BJ Wholesale carry them at very good prices compared to say Sears when they are on sale. One TJ owner I was talking to the other nite bought a set of 31 BFG AT/KO's at a local big name big tire shop, paid $170 a tire out the door, big difference compared to the same tire at BJ's for $127... or $480 at Sams club for a set of 4 in a package.
As for buying tires over the net, why, shipping and handling then finding a local shop to do the mounting and balancing plus old tire disposal will kill any savings gained over the net not to mention any 'warranty' involved. Unless you have a tirerack in the neighborhood. I had a nail in one of my sidewalls, took the jeep to BJ's where I bought them and was in and out with a new tire in 30 minutes, still under warranty after 30K, did not cost me a dime except for gas to drive 30 min to get there.
About the only tires I would buy over the net would be some kind of speciality tires that the dealers don't normally carry but even then I'd price them locally first just to check. Shipping now a days is a killer. I bought Warn bumpers for our TJ's, quadratec wanted around $200 + tax[~$12] + shipping [~$30], got them locally for $199 + tax and no shipping, local warehouse had them in stock to it pays to shop and take a catalog with you so you you can show them that they may be charging outrageous prices...be an educated consumer...its your money and better the odd $80 or so in your pocket than someone elses..

Last edited:
I love my Nokian Vatevas on my '01. They work great for the snow and are also good for the summer time. They are pretty agressive, but not so much so that you hear them on the road.

~Jeremy

I've had Dunlop Radial Rovers 225/75/15(which were on the Jeep when I bought it).I didn't like them,they were horrible in the wet.
Pirelli Scorpions 235/75/15 which were great in the wet and super traction dry.I had to have them rebalanced every 3-4k and only got 30k out of them.
Now I am running Cooper Discover A/T's 235/75/15..not as sticky as the Pirelli's but not bad at all.I've only had them for 12k miles but as things stand now I would buy them again.
Both tires in 235 rub at full lock so mabey somday I'll get around to do the washer thing,then again...mabey not.

Back