• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tires for a 97 cherokee

Yokohama Geolandar A/T II's, 31/10.50 - 15 LT. I like them better than my BFG AT's, especially in the snow. I got 60K miles out of the BFG's; hopefully I'll get the same from the Yokos. They're cheap, too.

97XJ said:
I've had Dunlop Radial Rovers 225/75/15. I didn't like them,they were horrible in the wet.

I'll second that notion.

I didn't like them either, I was always spinning out in the rain (as well as not in the rain, doing brake stands). They did hold up pretty good though; I ran them untill my rear passenger side was showing steel. I do not recomend doing this, but when I did take it in for new tires, the guy at the shop said that he had no idea how i made it there.

Anyone familiar with private brand tires? One tire dealer here in the NW sells Wild Country tires, which are produced by TBC Corp. There doesn't seem to be much on the internet (good or bad) concerning these brands. No issues on the NHTSA web site. There are quite a few people around running these tires, although I suspect its primarily due to this brand being a economical alternative to major brand tires. The Wild Country XTX have a UTQG of 500AB and a 50K mile warranty. They also appear to be meet traction tire standards, as they spout the severe weather (snowflake in the mountain) symbol. Tread pattern is VERY, VERY close to the B/S Dueler A/T D693. Considering the uses for my XJ will be road, sand, snow, and forest service roads, these appear to be a decent budget tire at $388 out the door (with road hazard, life tme rotation, balance, etc., etc.). That's about $60 under the Toyos and $170 under the Revos.

i run the mud terrain SXTs from les schwab. if you go in and tell them what you will be doing, they can help you pick out the right tire. i buy all my tires from them and like the service, warranty and quality of tires they sell.
my tires have worked 100 times better than the goodyears that came w/ my xj. they wear evenly, but they wear a little fast for me.

In reference to the off brand tires, I purchased a set of 235/75 Wild Country Radial APT's for my '01 XJ and after 17k miles have zero complaints. They ride smoothly and stay balanced, look nice, handle great in all weather, have a 520 wear rating and still look new with hardly any wear evident. Off road they are surprisingly capable, given their pavement-oriented tread design. They are an excellent choice and value.

Boris T said:
If this is a concern: The Discoverer A/T is quieter than the Toyo. We testdrove 2 Jeeps before we got the current 98, one with each brand tire and the Toyo's hummed driving around town, the Discoverer A/T does not. I believe the tread is more open which causes this. I am guessing you probably get the Coopers for about 10-15 less a tire.

Travis

I've had the Toyos on my '92 for about 40,000 miles and not noticed the "hum" you refer to.

I only had trouble with them on wet roads once, and it cleared up shortly after a rotation, leading me to believe that the tires had either gotten some oil on them from the road or something.

Overall, they've worn well, and still seem to have quite a bit of tread left. They've also done very well off-road (as evidenced by last year's NAC-Fest).

Rob

RichP said:
Actaully the best test 'review' is to go to an off roading event and see what everyone else is running on mostly stock DD rigs.

x2

I'm currently running 30*9.5 BFG A/Ts on my stock '99 and they've treated me very well. And they wear like iron. I've also seen/heard a lot of praise for the Bridgestone Revo's . . . of course, I'm about to go to 33s soon and I'm wondering what to go for next:

Goodyear MT/Rs, BFG M/Ts, or maybe Firestone's Destination M/T . . .

Good luck,

DR

Rob Mayercik said:
I've had the Toyos on my '92 for about 40,000 miles and not noticed the "hum" you refer to.

Rob

Wow back from the dead. Rob, I believe they were Toyos but could have been Yokohama Geolanders now that I think about it. If I caused confusion to anyone I am sorry about that
:gag:
Travis

I'm runnin cooper discover sst's and love them but ya have to love a tire that will sing to ya

Eagle said:
The largest you can go without encountering some rubbing is 235/75R15, which would probably be my choice. That's what I currently run on my 88 and I think they look good.

Eagle, do you run the 235/75R15 on '88 stock rims? If so, what is the back spacing on the wheels? Also, you say no rubbing with 235's, but is that for both street and mild off-roading use?

And if you would answer one last question please. Can the later-year OEM "up country" suspension be fitted to older ('88-'90) XJ's? I would like a small 1-2 inches lift, but don't like any of the BB lifts I have seen, for an XJ that's mostly a DD.

Thanks a million ... Maz

norcal420 said:
x2

. . . of course, I'm about to go to 33s soon and I'm wondering what to go for next:

Goodyear MT/Rs, BFG M/Ts, or maybe Firestone's Destination M/T . . .

Good luck,

DR
I don't know how much lift you plan on having but I have been very happy to fit 33x9.5 r15 Big'O XT tires on my 95 with a 4" lift. I have stock steel rims and no trimming. I have been running them for 4 years 40k on and off the road. In some situations I would like a wider tire, but even with the sway bar disconnected they will only slightly rub in the front. I am very happy with the added clearance.

You may not be so lucky as you have a 99

Last edited:
The first set I bought for my XJ were some wal-mart tires. don't laugh, bishes. anyways, they're 31x10.5R15 BFG Land Terrains, they're suprisingly good. They look good, handle well, and have about as an aggressive tread as the BFG AT. To me, the price can't be beat. they ran at about $93, they're 50,000 mile tires. with the warranty, they come out to about $100 each. they're to be intended as mud tires, but they can get the job done. the only bad thing is that the biggest size is a 31, still good though for a starter.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1819307&cat=0&type=28&dept=91083&path

I have a set of Bridgeston Dueler A/T tires in 225/75R15.
They're tire set #2 that I've had on my 99 XJ and will be replacing them with the same ones. They have excellent grip in the rain and I have NEVER heard them squeal while making a fast turn on dry pavement.

My previous tire was a Pirelli Scorpion A/T in LT235/75R15. I hated those things.
On cool southern California days, I would get a thump, thump, thump, thump until the tires warmed up then it disappeared. They were pretty noisy on the street and let you know when they needed rotating. It seemed like these things got a flat spot from sitting overnight. They caused an annoying shimmy in the steering wheel as well as the thump in the morning. I had those things rebalanced 2 times a year for several years. They took a lot of weight to balance too.

I've never had to get these Bridgestones rebalanced, just the regular rotating is enough.

MAP

Back