• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TIRE PRESSURE (what do you run?)

i was running my 31 inch kumho mts at 35 for highway.. but i cant take the crap ride i get with going up that high. I run 30 psi on all four for street and depending on the trail 15-20 offroad. I just cant imagine how bad your trucks must ride with +30 psi unless you have some long arms and some soft shocks.

32x11.5 R15 Pro Comp MT's 32lb front, 30lb rear on street.

90Pioneer said:
I have been running 32 PSI in my 235 Radial TXRs. In an effort to increase my MPG, I inflated them to their max PSI, 50. I went from 13.5 mpg to 15.5 mpg. I was suprised that I got 2 mpg more.
Cool.........the money you save on gas can go towards the new set of tires you'll need when the centers go bald! ;)

30psi on road (welded rear) and 6psi offroad.
DIG IT!

35 inch radial claws, 26-28 on road, not sure what ill go to off road with these yet, when i had my 33"ltbs i went to about 5, but my 33" dayton timberline mts, i would only go to about 12, back then i was still afraid of stupid stuff like blowing beads lol. id guess ill air these down to 6 or 8

kolby

boise49ers said:
I did the chalk test and went about 400 yards and all the chalk was gone. I couldn't find a trace. Is that good or bad ?
THat means you either didnt put enough chalk on or went too far. The idea is that it will show you the wear pattern and of course if you go far enough it will be gone. So put a big fat line on the tire and go 200 yards and look. (btw, are you sure that you didnt stop on top of it?)

boise49ers said:
I did the chalk test and went about 400 yards and all the chalk was gone. I couldn't find a trace. Is that good or bad ?
Try mixing about 1/10 oz. of acetone in with the chalk. That should extend the distance you can drive before needing more chalk.

If you don't want to worry about stopping on top of the chalk line, do what kevlar does; cover the entire tread surface with chalk with the exception of a small stripe across the tread in line with the vallve stem. This will eliminate the possibility of covering the evidence, except in my case. I have two valve stems, so I was totally confused and finally gave up on the chalk method.

Now I use a warm liquid goo

MaXJohnson said:
That's a great test if you can live with a tolerance of +- 5psi

I run my 33x12.50's with 25 to 30 psi and only go above 30psi(rear only) for hauling heavy loads or trailer towing. It is far more common to see center tread wear than outer edge wear because most guys run too much pressure.
that sounds about right!
The bigger the tire the lower the pressure needed in it for the same truck.
If you nottice in the glove box you will have the stock tire pressures and the bigger the tire the lower the pressure there.
I would say on a 31x10.50 on road to run around 27 PSI just a guess. It's not an exact guess but that was what we used to do when I worked at the tire shop.
See th #1 reason for air in a tire is to keep the tire cool. Then to hold it up. But the chalk test is a good thing because over-inflation will wear out the centre of the tire, and under-inflation will wear the edge's.

Just my 2 cent's

MaXJohnson said:
Try mixing about 1/10 oz. of acetone in with the chalk. That should extend the distance you can drive before needing more chalk.

If you don't want to worry about stopping on top of the chalk line, do what kevlar does; cover the entire tread surface with chalk with the exception of a small stripe across the tread in line with the vallve stem. This will eliminate the possibility of covering the evidence, except in my case. I have two valve stems, so I was totally confused and finally gave up on the chalk method.

Now I use a warm liquid goo

So you trying to tell me I've been hosed ? If so I went for it hook line and sinker.

Back