• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire dicisions

AT OR MT

• BFG AT

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • BFG KM2 MT

Votes: 24 68.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

REWSTER

BACON!
NAXJA Member
since i bought my last set of tires i was sure that my next set would be a set of BFG KM2's 33x10.5x15 now i am getting close to ordering and i am tossing the idea of BFG AT's same size out there for a couple reasons, there a little cheeper, there better street life, and there only a day away (instead of the MT about a week from my tire guys) so i am wondering if any of you guys wheel with the AT's what are the draw backs and should i just get the MT's

type of terrain is Badlands trails really that is the only place i have gone so far, i want to get into the rocks a bit more too though. its my DD and see's highway most of the time in fact the only wheeling trip of 2010 was winterfest witch is kinda why i was now leaning toward the AT for better street manners

input please?

I love the bfg at's. I have a brand new set and so does the wife. They are great for wear on the road and can take some pretty good abuse off road. The traction they offer isn't like an mt on the trail, but they perform great on the trails Yes, they are a little pricey vs some other at's, but I am willing to pay more for something that I trust on my wife's jeep. I have had a couple sets throughout the years and in my opinion you just can't beat getting over 70,000 out of my tires.

I do love the BFG ATs as I had a set of used ones right before I got new tires... Bought them with 7-8/32nds and wore them pretty much out. Took 2.5yrs to do, and I still have one of them as a full size spare.

Only reason I went with Cooper Discoverer STTs now is I wanted something a little more aggressive than the BFG AT but not an MT...

I have both I run My KM2's from right before winterfest until the snow starts to fly. The At's are great tires and i have run them at the dunes and they are decent I would think for badlands tey may not be as aggressive as you would want but would be a good chice if you are only going to wheel once or a couple of times a year. That said the KM2's are awesome on the street and even more awesome offroad. It is crazy how little noise they make. After 10 MPH they are as or more quiet that the AT's. The only thing i do not like about them is i would think they would suck on the road in the snow, the contact patch is so small that in the rain on a sealed parking lot you can get sideways with very little throttle. Hope it helps.

Rew, I personally would say that you would be better off with the AT's. Taking into consideration it is your DD and you dont wheel every weekend, you will like the AT's everyday and they will do most of what you want to on the trail. I got @ 70K out of my last set on my truck and sold them to a guy that is still running them..granted they are a bit bald now :D

P.S. I think you were trying to spell "decisions" in the title :D This is not the SEC son!!

P.S. I think you were trying to spell "decisions" in the title :D This is not the SEC son!!

Well spelling is not my strong point in life :D

the AT's are looking good so far, i just dont want to be disappointed on the trail

They can chunk on the trails when I used them I like the KM2 more.
Or wrangler Kavlar.
Hankook MTs I am running are great in the snow sand mud street don't even notice any noise from tires on the freeway. Great wear and have side wall protection

Hankook MTs I am running are great in the snow sand mud street don't even notice any noise from tires on the freeway. Great wear and have side wall protection

I wont be running this tire again had them in a 30", its BFG or BFG in my eyes now. with my experience selling tires at the dealership Michelin and BFG are the tits (BFG is made by Michelin)

I want my tires like I want my women....

waiting for the punch line........

he cant mean big round and dirty can he ......

waiting.....

:dunno:

Bald. I like them that way too Sean.

I ran both on a DD, I was impressed how well the MT's wore, and like mentioned they're quiet.

I would buy the AT's only if I had another set to wheel with.

BFG MT's are THE best all purpose tire.

Dan

You can go any way you want with it,
Round and black, bald and dirty, big and bald....
Or run a bunch together,
Big, black, bald and dirty...

I really need to go do something constructive.

I have only had 4 years experience running BFG's but I have had very positive experiences with both AT's and KM2's. I installed 31" BFG ATs on my frist XJ and ran them on the road and trail for over two years. I typically ran rock and snow trails at 14-18 psi and I found them to be exceptionally grippy in all conditions. Climbing granite boulders proved no challenge for those AT KO's.

My next XJ came with 30" BFGs and I drove them on the street for 8 months without a complaint. I swapped them for some 33x15x10.50 KM2's and I think they are the best tire I have ever owned (had 30 vehicles). They look amazing, drive exceptionally well on the road, and have performed great in all conditions, including snow. They seem to be a perfect match for the granite rocks in the Sierras, and althoughs some prefer a wider tire, I like the low road noise and handling aspects of the 10.5" varietal.

My kid runs the 32x12.50 Kevlar's. They look aggressive as hell, but I believe my KM2's have out performed his meats in the trails we have run together. Driving excellence, not withstanding. :)

Good luck with your decision. Er...dicision.

I have only had 4 years experience running BFG's but I have had very positive experiences with both AT's and KM2's. I installed 31" BFG ATs on my frist XJ and ran them on the road and trail for over two years. I typically ran rock and snow trails at 14-18 psi and I found them to be exceptionally grippy in all conditions. Climbing granite boulders proved no challenge for those AT KO's.

My next XJ came with 30" BFGs and I drove them on the street for 8 months without a complaint. I swapped them for some 33x15x10.50 KM2's and I think they are the best tire I have ever owned (had 30 vehicles). They look amazing, drive exceptionally well on the road, and have performed great in all conditions, including snow. They seem to be a perfect match for the granite rocks in the Sierras, and althoughs some prefer a wider tire, I like the low road noise and handling aspects of the 10.5" varietal.

My kid runs the 32x12.50 Kevlar's. They look aggressive as hell, but I believe my KM2's have out performed his meats in the trails we have run together. Driving excellence, not withstanding. :)

Good luck with your decision. Er...dicision.

Look at what the cat drug in! :D I agree though, I am gonna go to the same size KM2 you have when my Kumhos wear out.

Rew, I had some 31" BFG AT's before my current 33 BFG KM MT's. The AT's were bar none more superior on icy and sloppy,snowy roads around here. However as mentioned earlier, they seemed to chunk very easily. The sidewalls didn't seem to hold up as well as the MT's. The sides might have been made the same, but I feel more comfortable on the MT's in the rocks and offroad situations. However the AT's wore excellent on the street. The MT's not as well. I rotate my MT's every oil change just to try to keep up with treadwear. So if I were to pick some tires that were for an XJ that sees street everyday and offroad use maybe 2-3 times a year, I would go with the AT's. You'll be happy with them.

Rew, just get some LTB's and home groove them and throw a bunch of bb's inside them....you will hate them but they will look cool..and we are all about looking cool and trying to pick up chicks at buffetts or the highschool....or at least I am.

Rew, just get some LTB's and home groove them and throw a bunch of bb's inside them....you will hate them but they will look cool..and we are all about looking cool and trying to pick up chicks at buffetts or the highschool....or at least I am.

Bahahahahaha, the buffet? You sir are not right in the head, at all! :roflmao:

..you will hate them but they will look cool..and we are all about looking cool and trying to pick up chicks at buffetts

Is that were i can find the big,black,bald,and dirty chicks?

I just put a set of General Grabber AT2's on my wifes DD two months ago. P265/70 15's (essentially a 30x10.5). They have basically the same tread design as the BFG AT's and were only $112 each plus shipping from Tire Rack. These are by far the best snow/slush tires I've ever owned other than Firestones Winterforce. Quiet on the highway, took very little weight to balance, and look great. I'll be putting a set on my ZR2 when the crappy Michelins wear out later this summer.

i showed the wife a pic of the 2 different tread patterns yesterday, she likes the AT she said it looks like it wont wear out in like a year. you should have seen the glow in her eye when i told her those were the cheaper of the two :D

Back