• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Carrier Recommendations

TunaSoda said:
What is the story with that Detour roof rack? was that a custom job?

No thats an Olympic or some other like brand rack....or a look-a-like.

Detour -

That looks really good, but the D-rings look to be mounted to the stock bumer attachment location. Is that mount heavy duty enough to take the stress of a hard side pull?

splitz said:
Detour -

That looks really good, but the D-rings look to be mounted to the stock bumer attachment location. Is that mount heavy duty enough to take the stress of a hard side pull?

He said its reinforced by using HD nutstrip-style mounts down the framerail, and I know rigidco uses the same general idea for mounting their stuff so its gotta be tough.

splitz said:
Detour -

And I quote

Detour said:
JLane.....and everyone else, it should be made clear that the TailBone does
'not' use factory bumper brackets, it use's the same bracketry used on our
full SlimLine bumpers, I know it is yet to be shown...I just want to point
that out. The breakdown has been fully photographed, but I'm holding those
photo's back for now, they'll be viewable on the website when released.
*snip*

Detour said:
Pretty sure it's an '01.

As far as the install goes, we'll be working on directions with pic's you can
print off and follow along with as you install, much like our BackBone
directions on the site. I'm also attempting to have a 'tacky-template' made
which you would stick down to your bumper and use as a cutting/drilling
guide...then peel off when completed. Install over all is not that bad, but
then again it all depends on what you're installing the system on.

DSC_0021-edit.jpg

Ok, that just looks sooo sweat!!! I think I've found what I've been looking for...

Will it work with an aftermarket hitch? (I've got a hidden hitch with factory skidplate...) LOL looks like I should have finished reading the page I was on - it does work with both. I want one now :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
springer said:
So whats the date looking like for release? I am wantting to do something soon, but this might be worth holding out for.

I believe it's on their site already

I got news that it was delayed as they have other projects that need finishing first and were getting stick on drilling templates made as well.

Matt98XJ said:
I don't know about you guys, but I like to see out my back window, so my spare is in the cab.

Good for you.

:D:D

Do you have cargo and back seat passengers? I can see through my wheel somewhat. I never could fit a tire bigger than a 31 incher on the floor with the seat up.

Any guesstimate on price and time frame for availability?

And X2 on the passengers and cargo issue. I drive my rig to the trail with family in tow, so every inch inside and out is precious.

Any update from the Detours guys?

A customer of mine got this reply from them.

" I need to hold off on this item a little longer, our supplier cut a
50 sets of parts wrong....while they've replaced 'some of the bad
parts, we still have yet been able to retrieve the new parts.

Item is also going through it's last field testing next week, trail
time has been limited thus far...

We've been working 7 days a week for the last 5 weeks attempting to
stay up on current product orders, fine tuning & jig time simply
has'nt existed to get this new item on the market just yet...hopefully
we'll slow down soon and be able to focus on the TailBone.

Sorry for the delay-"

IMO, the Kaymar unit still (by far) has the best latch mechanism and the best pivot, but that's why I bought it.
It has large over center cam latches and the pivot is an actual stub axle with twin roller bearings which allows for extremely smooth operation of the swingouts.

dsc02427.jpg

dsc03163s.jpg

The twin swingouts (you choose which side you want the tire and/or gerry can) allow for much shorter opening radius which allows me access to the hatch while parked close to someone or even more importantly when I have my boat or camp trailer hooked up. No need to drop the trailer to open swingouts (the swingouts can also be locked in the open position). Yep, it even has a integrated Class 3 receiver.

dsc00191s.jpg

They even thought about jacking points with 2 built in High Lift jack mounts with the use of the ARB jack adaptor. The adaptor bolts the bumper and High Lift jack together so the Jeep can't fall off the jack. It's the same mounts used on ARB bumpers for the High Lift. I've field tested it first hand, unfortunately. :D
It's a perfect match in styling to the ARB XJ front bumper so it's a love it/leave it sort a thing.

dsc03873s.jpg

The second set of built-in taillights/turn signal are a nice touch and keep it legal to even the most restrictive State laws. Some countries require these secondary lights since taillights must be viewable from the rear at all angles including from spare tire obtruction (notice stock taillight is blocked from side angles)
dsc03771ms.jpg

Kaymar is very popular with the Land Cruiser & Land Rover crowds but never really caught on with the Jeep crowd; probably due to it's price? It is the most expensive aftermarket rear bumper currently offered for the XJ and almost always get overlooked probably for that reason.

I've had mine for over 4 year now and couldn't be happier with it... other than the price. ;)

dsc04738s.jpg

Back