• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for upper rear shock mounting bolts

Some of you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Just unscrew them, if they snap off punch them out with a punch & BFH, fish in New Grade 8 Hardware (Use a piece of wire wrapped around the bolt to fish them in).
It’s less than an Hours work!
If you are lifting the jeep installing a pair of http://detoursusa.com/xjstm.php these will extend your existing shocks & end the XJ rear upper shock bolt dilemma forever!

And remember, if you apply enough heat to a nut or bolt to turn it cherry red, it’s now trash! Replace it with new (properly graded) hardware!

Last edited:
94 XJ 4.0 chry8.25 blah blah. Just did the shocks and leafs. Nothing broke. Front leaf bolts were a pain. but nothing broke. P.B.balster on all and heat on the leaf bolts but NOTHING BROKE!! I get snow but they don't salt they sand. P.B. for sure then heat.

Just an idea, since there isn't much room under there, I just bought an air hammer from Lowes for about 30 bucks and just knocked the weld nuts out. Much easier than swinging a BFH in thar small space and the air hammer will can be used for lots of other jobs on the XJ.

97 XJ originally from Ohio. I snapped the bolts off, drilled and tapped them for the next size up... I think from 5/16ths to 3/8ths. Put in stainless hardware for good measure. (The next owner should be pleasantly surprised.)

I say bust 'em out any way.....

It's really easy to feed new nuts and washers up on top. If you need, just tape them to the end of a wrench.

I had to replace all of them on my '98. It's really easy......

I just had to do this on all four rear upper bolts last week. You'll break them, then just bang them out and like mentioned before just tape the new nuts and washers on there. You just have to fish them through the little gaps. The worst part is the crap falling on you when you are banging (I used a punch I picked up from Lowes and a 9lb hammer I had laying around).:patriot:

The worst part is the crap falling on you when you are banging
I think you may be doing it wrong :gag::wow:

sorry, had to be said...

Yeah, it's a pain in the butt, glad you got it done! Next time the nuts will not be attached as securely so you shouldn't have a problem.

Back