• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thinkin of gettin a cat

igotanxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm thinking of getting a cat. I don't really want a dog right now, even though I love them; they seem to take more time, space, and energy than a cat. Any tips on where to get one? What kind of cat? Male or female? I had a female calico with medium hair growing up. Shes was nice, a little too much fur to clean up tho. Never had a male cat, tho I've heard they have more energy, which I think is cool. What do you think?

I think I am *not* a fan of cats.... Sorry, but I hate the things heh

ya i need some pu$$y too lol

maybe that's it? I already got a girlfriend, all set in that department.... ;)

Cats are amazing animals, provided you get a good one. Their moods and temperments are as varied as the colors of the rainbow. You could get two from the same litter and have complete opposites. My advice: get a kitten and raise it how you want to. They make great pets because they are mostly independent.

Dogs are more social-intensive then cats, but cats still need care. I do apartment maintenance. I spend all my work time in apartments with pets that are starved for attention for 9 or 10 hours a day.

If you don't have time for a pet, don't get one. Really. Please.

we had a ragdoll mix, very smart cat,followed like a dog, great to have around,pooed in the toilet, but the coyotes got him, they are not really an outside cat (poor self defence). got a dog instead now.

Support your local animal shelter! I'm sure they have kittens and adult cats. Both of my cats were rescues. Think I got lucky with them though...they are both great cats.

We had a dog for a while, but he was high-energy and we're not home enough for him so we gave him away.

We have 2 cats, and it suits our lifestyle much better now. We just leave a bowl of food and water and they're good for a week.

X2 on the maine coon, just short of a bobcat or something. They look cool too.

i2pz5w.png

Like someone mentioned, getting a good Cat is mostly luck. I had a small Black Cat (we called Mini), which never got much bigger than a normal kitten. Best hunter and mouser I ever owned, she would bring back three four mice a night and a Rat a week, most nearly as big as she was.
Males have a tendency to mark there territory, they spray some foul smelling skunk juice on the walls.
I have a true Wild Cat now, you'd think would be a good mouser, born klutz, falls out of trees. Vet gives me some static every time I take him in for shots, they are supposed to be protected. Found him in a trash can In a picnic area, obviously abandoned by his mother and mostly dead. Useless farker, but obviously part of the family after 16 years.

don't wrestle with your cat as a kitten. Its cute and fun, but they keep that habit forever, and once your cat weighs 10 pounds, those random and unanticipated tackles with all claws beared arent fun anymore. ;)

.. just ask my roommate.

Go for it. Once you get used to a cats personailty you will fall in love. My girlfriend and I have two. One male black domestic short hair, and a female short hair, siamiese(SP?) mix. We love them, and I have come to realize they are not as needy as dogs are. I cant stand dogs always wanting attention and running up and jumping on me while I am watching a game.

My advise from my experience is to get two kittens so they can play with each other when you aren't there. If you want a vocal cat, go for a Siamese or a Siamese mix of some sort.

I'm a huge fan of shelter animals. Don't go out and buy a designer cat when there are thousands of homeless cats in shelters across the nation.

I'm a huge fan of shelter animals. Don't go out and buy a designer cat when there are thousands of homeless cats in shelters across the nation.

Not only that, but most shelter animals know what you did, they are thankful and more affectionate.

Bengals are awesome. But I agree, shelter is the way to go.

Back