• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things to do before the Crawl.....

Thanks for the info...I may be able to swing something like that before the Crawl (hopefully).

Is there a better box I can put in besides the stock unit? I know that is a whole other can (or cans) of worms since I read J20, Durango, etc etc on boxes.

I already have a PS fluid cooler installed.

lol, Perhaps the lack of fluid is killing them?

It might be but the main issue is the fluid comes out the top when on climbs.

Thanks for the info...I may be able to swing something like that before the Crawl (hopefully).

Is there a better box I can put in besides the stock unit? I know that is a whole other can (or cans) of worms since I read J20, Durango, etc etc on boxes.

I already have a PS fluid cooler installed.

Hindsight speaking here. I bought a box taped and a rebuild kit. I'll never do that again. Those damn balls in the box are a bitch to get right. It's a lot more dollars but imho worth it. PSC is the only way to go with hydro I hear.

The key to drilling and tapping a box easily, is to not take the box apart. Both Tyler and my steering boxes were tapped by holding them upside down and putting some heavy grease on the bit and tap. Works great! Shavings fall right down or stick to the grease.

The key to drilling and tapping a box easily, is to not take the box apart. Both Tyler and my steering boxes were tapped by holding them upside down and putting some heavy grease on the bit and tap. Works great! Shavings fall right down or stick to the grease.

Yea I think I read something about that somewhere.

New list:

Rear Bar tubes Done!
Repair Fuel Pump Ground Done!
Taillights/fix headlight switch Done!
fix rock lights on front
fire extinguishers Done!
tool storage tie downs
Mount spare driveshafts
New tie rod (waiting on Ironman Andy to ship)
35 spline stubs and flanges
tune up, fuel filter, air filter, plugs
address noise under hood, suspect e fan
maybe move power steering cooler to the rear cage
steering column
Fix breaking leaf spring mount Done!

Seems like I have seen people use hose clamps to mount their driveshaft's to the cage. Good or Bad idea? Also any thoughts to relocating the PS cooler to the rear?

Last edited:
I have to fix myself before I can go...the Jeep is pretty much ready, tho the list of things I wanted to do to it before the Crawl are all put on hold.

Shredded my Achilles at work on 4/4. Surgery a week ago...on the mend now. It's just a 3-4 month recovery before I can go back to work...and work my part times...which pay for the fun trips.

mac 'a maybe at this point' gyvr

I have to fix myself before I can go...the Jeep is pretty much ready, tho the list of things I wanted to do to it before the Crawl are all put on hold.

Shredded my Achilles at work on 4/4. Surgery a week ago...on the mend now. It's just a 3-4 month recovery before I can go back to work...and work my part times...which pay for the fun trips.

mac 'a maybe at this point' gyvr

Good luck on the recovery. That sucks.

I think you can make it...worst case is you just ride and do no walking. Hell...you've got time...build an offroad wheelchair!

Seriously...I hope it all works out.

New list:

Rear Bar tubes Done!
Repair Fuel Pump Ground Done!
Taillights/fix headlight switch Done!
fix rock lights on front
fire extinguishers Done!
tool storage tie downs
Mount spare driveshafts Done!
New tie rod (waiting on Ironman Andy to ship)
35 spline stubs and flanges
tune up: fuel filter, air filter, plugs
address noise under hood, suspect e fan
maybe move power steering cooler to the rear cage
steering column
Fix breaking leaf spring mount Done!

Well this past weekend I made an attempt to build an anti wrap bar. But once i got it finished and tested I reliezed its way too short and its causing me to have lift during acceleration and it's limiting me about 2" from bumpstop on the driver side. So guess I'll redesign and make it longer.
BB94416C-81F9-47D1-A915-FF01942D124B.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, yeah. You want it twice that long.

My shackle is between the front spring hangers. I've noticed no binding and an Awesome increase in rubber to the rocks.

Fix my tcase Close enough.

Replace control arms

Whatever else decides to go wrong between now and then.

Not going to Colorado so......get the new engine buttoned up and make sure it's gonna make it to Harlan.

Not going to Colorado so......get the new engine buttoned up and make sure it's gonna make it to Harlan.

Stroker?

mac 'haven't heard much about it' gyvr

-Tires
-Figure out alignment issues
-Fab up a rear tire carrier DONE
-Front axle u-joints DONE
-Shackle relocation brackets Passenger Side - DONE, Driver's Side - Not Done
-New lower control arm bushings DONE
-Get spare big joint small shaft DONE
-New centering pins on rear leaves DONE
-Driver's side wheel bearing and hub
-Grade 8 hardware for tire carrier DONE
-Swap rear leaves side to side
-Get junkyard replacement driver side mirror
-New leaf spring bushings

Last edited:
This is always a list of things I don't get done, but at least it's entertaining.

1. headgasket
2. cage tie ins
3. unibody stiffners
4. build rear bumper
5. build tire carrier for rear bumper
6. leaf spring bushings
7. swaybar link mounts
8. fluids
9. alignment
10. refinish front bumper

I could go on, but I'm only going to do 3 or 4 of these things anyways.

Back