• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The tale of the $500 XJ

I remember going with you the day you bought it. and the first shakedown run to La Gloria Road. It sure has come a long way since then and I gotta say watching its progress has been a major motivator on my project(s) as well. rock on bro!

Its been a while since I've updated this thread. Some big changes have happened since the last post.

Well after getting the bushings in, and attending KOH, I took it wheeling in Hollister with Kevin, Mike, Mike's GF Heather, and her friend Gina.

Mike in his CJ-7
IMG_1666_zps5b1ea1ef.jpg

Top of Hollister with Mike, Kevin, Kevin's Dad, and Heather.
IMG_1669_zps7047b27e.jpg

Kev going through the gulch at the bottom of truck hill.
IMG_1670_zps0ce04078.jpg

Mike powering through the same gulch
IMG_1672_zpsd82e89f6.jpg

Since it was Heather's first trip out with her newly lifted tj, we convinced her to try the gulch...here is what happened.

Good start.

IMG_1673_zps9fec3d0f.jpg

Looks pretty composed.
IMG_1674_zpsb153361c.jpg

Getting a little 3 wheel action
IMG_1676_zps84842af7.jpg

Whoops! haha. Should have disconnected the sway bar.
IMG_1680_zpsf6e8d6c4.jpg

Mike and I having a little fun with the situation.
IMG_1681_zpsbe2326b2.jpg

Heather then proceeded to play in the puddle of water that had formed during the last rain.
IMG_1686_zpscfa6fc90.jpg

We made our way to the big pipes in the 4x4 playground.

Kevin going through.
IMG_1691_zps3c79a029.jpg

Mike going through
IMG_1690_zps5a726cf3.jpg

Then Kevin found a hole to play with.
IMG_1695_zps8235d776.jpg

Gina and Heather decided to have some fun with the situation.
IMG_1693_zps0e245233.jpg

After we got Kevin out of the hole we played on the mini rubicon, and then made our way over to the jungle trail.

We started around 5:30pm.
IMG_1700_zpsa50be969.jpg

About 1/4 of the way up.
IMG_1702_zps945dc177.jpg

Getting a little rougher.
IMG_1707_zpsdd954048.jpg

Kevin at the exit. Time was about 6:30-7pm.
IMG_1708_zps4ba08e64.jpg

Mike exiting. Time was about 7-7:30pm.
IMG_1709_zpsbb187663.jpg

My turn to exit. Time was about 8:30. Such a hard exit after dark! The new lights helped though.

IMG_1711_zpsef5dbe20.jpg

Never let me have access to the internet and a credit card while I'm home sick from work haha. I ended up ordering a new rear bumper from Aj's offroad, shackle relocation brackets from HD offroad, and a used JKS trackbar (thank you Robert).

I went to pick the track bar that weekend in the bay area, and ended up meeting up with Kevin and Sam. We decided on a whim to go to fordyce. What an amazing and beautiful trail.

New track bar.
IMG_1726_zpsebb5aae4.jpg

Staging area for fordyce. We Started the trail around 8pm.
IMG_1728_zps27f9661b.jpg

Trail was all wet from the melting snow.
IMG_1729_zpsb6f63e6f.jpg

In some places it was like driving down stream in a river.
IMG_1734_zps866a854e.jpg

Not a bad setting for two Xj's.
IMG_1736_zps3bea349c.jpg

More water...
IMG_1747_zps0f6d7e19.jpg

Sam coming over some rocks on Sunrise.
IMG_1753_zps1db9b019.jpg

We only went as far as the first water crossing because the water was too deep and would have been over the air box. Also because we got to camp around 1:30 or 2am. Bring on the beers! Good times were had.

The next morning. Around Noon haha.

IMG_1757_zpsbdbe9767.jpg

I'm not sure if this guy is a member here or not, but he had an awesome 2 door/buggy hybrid. looked like a slightly modded xj in front, all buggy in rear. Yes it was still street legal, he had removable mud flaps.
IMG_1759_zpsf98071c2.jpg

Beginning the climb out over sunrise hill.
IMG_1769_zps0f1a3ce5.jpg

Sam beginning his accent.
IMG_1776_zps2e6c8dcd.jpg

Then I got high centered on my slider.
IMG_1778_zps338badf7.jpg

What a back drop!
IMG_1781_zps4cb39c6b.jpg

Such beauty, much win.
IMG_1785_zpsdceeb87c.jpg

More from Fordyce. A trail so epic it requires two posts haha.

One of the many streams next to and crossing the trail.
IMG_1792_zps242748d7.jpg

More water...
IMG_1796_zps65e7c77c.jpg

Epic view in the mirror.
IMG_1798_zps16281514.jpg

Sam coming over some rocks.
IMG_1800_zps2e1522b8.jpg

More water...
IMG_1808_zpsf4385ba3.jpg

We reached the end of the trail around 4 or 5pm. Sam took off to reno, and Kevin and I shot down to Sacramento. While in Sac I picked up a new brake booster (mine was leaking), a spare alternator, and a spare high pressure power steering hose all thanks to Thomas.

I had ordered my bumper before fordyce, and got some progress pictures about a week after it. Huge shout out to Duane at Aj's for sending the pictures and for such a high quality bumper. The thing is super beefy. I'm really happy with it.

The base of the bumper with cuts made for the receiver and weld through D-ring tabs. The base is 3/8" thick box tube steel.
IMG_1818_zps2aa0484b.jpg

Base finished.
IMG_1819_zps78f5ffbd.jpg

Sing out carrier. Its also 3/8" box tubing.
IMG_1817_zps162c3cfc.jpg

All finished.
IMG_1843_zpsf04f3985.jpg

While waiting for the bumper to show up, I decided to see what I could do about the wrinkle in the rear quarter, see if I could fix the pesky parking light wiring, changed the brake booster, and seafoamed the engine.

The wrinkle in question.
IMG_1822_zpse92d2b0c.jpg

Ratchet strap...not the best idea...after it only moved the panel a little bit I gave up and drank beer.
IMG_1823_zps38781216.jpg

Worked on the wiring. Beer helps figure out wiring shorts.
IMG_1824_zps0038ac71.jpg

Sea foam smoke. It was so smoky I should have done it at night haha.
IMG_1825_zps429cafe3.jpg

New brake booster next to a jack&coke after a fresh coat of paint.
IMG_1834_zpsf5ccd25f.jpg

Old.
IMG_1835_zps75e7af9f.jpg

New
IMG_1838_zps6f0b6431.jpg

New track bar going in.
IMG_1850_zps6db537a4.jpg

Bumper showed up about a week after I got the track bar in. Since the base has box tube going forward along the rear quarters, it required the cut and fold mod to be done. So out came the grinder and safety glasses.

IMG_1853_zpsf1fba365.jpg

The reason for the new bumper...
IMG_1854_zps57557526.jpg

All finished with the cut and fold.
IMG_1857_zps8d52c262.jpg

Installing the new bumper. Had to remove the tail lights because they were interfering with the filler caps that cover the space between the light and the bumper.
IMG_1862_zpsc46a0366.jpg

All Installed! Those holes are for back up lights. To be installed later.
IMG_1863_zps4eb2c9ed.jpg

Beginning my relocation bracket install. Those things are pure beef! all 1/4" plate. Super tight fit into the original boxes, had to bend the original box to allow them to fit.

IMG_1865_zps10f617f5.jpg

Got them in. (its at near full droop in this picture)
IMG_1866_zps92476393.jpg

Passenger Side.
IMG_1868_zps0992eee1.jpg

Just after I finished the install I went to the Molina Ghost Run in Hollister as a shake down run before Reno. I ended up being a trail leader for group 2. A single Cherokee leading a whole group of wranglers and yotas.

Beginning of the day, getting all staged up.
IMG_1869_zps60a29d0f.jpg

We made our way to the top for lunch.
IMG_1870_zps4c253648.jpg

This poor guy broke the mounting flange between the tranny and transfercase.
IMG_1874_zps0216fe65.jpg

Those relocation brackets really improved the flex, as well as the new track bar. Supper happy with the ride and handing on the rocks.
IMG_1878_zps88e542dc.jpg

IMG_1879_zps8dbba541.jpg

IMG_1880_zpsc76b9ca0.jpg

Little teaser of whats to come.

IMG_1884_zps348407d9.jpg

Lookin good man! Great pictures! Heres a few that I took from Fordyce:

Dropping down from the camp site

Sam being a stud

Comin up

The tree of death

Flexy friday (even though it was a sunday)

Thats really all I got picture wise from that trip. Im glad you were able to make it out there man. I had a blast! T-case skid is next, right? :laugh:

Haha that stupid tree, got sam's jeep and my jeep in almost identical places on the rear drip rail. That was such a fun trip, I can't wait to go again. Yes, a t-case and gas tank skid are going in shortly. Picking some up from BigK this week.

Thanks Pat, it was cool meeting you at Tim's as well man. I'm looking forward to Reno man. When are you heading up?

Thanks for the invite Pat. I really wish I could make the xj train, but I have to work that day. I'll be up there hopefully by early evening or at worst 10-11pm.

Sweet xj, I'm digging the shackle relocation brackets.
I also picked up my cherokee for $500, I just can't wait to lift mine

Sweet xj, I'm digging the shackle relocation brackets.
I also picked up my cherokee for $500, I just can't wait to lift mine

That's awesome man! What are your plans for yours?

Okay guys, I could use some advice. My engine sounds like it's got a piston slap, and I'm thinking that the head gasket is gone as well. It's leaking oil at the block deck. The head is dry but the block just below it is wet. It also has a weird crunchy clanking sound when it idles down. The oil pressure is great, there is no metal in the oil, there isn't much blow by to speak of and it isn't blowing any smoke. Any ideas on if I should tear the engine down, or just replace the whole thing? If I had the cash laying around it would become a stroker but not an option at this point.

There is also a weird acceleration problem when warm. It acts like its running out of gas unless I romp on the peddle or let off, but every once in a while it acts like it's loading way up on fuel. If I remove the tps from the throttle body it runs fine except it doesn't lock up the torque converter. I've checked the engine and transmission side of the the tps pig talis and it's close to being in spec. It's not quite getting 5.0v of I put voltage, it's at about 4.8-4.9v. Ive gone through and done the ground refreshing, deleted the c101 and added extra grounds. At this point I feel like I'm banging my head on the wall. Does anyone have some light to shed on this problem? I'd really appreciate the help.

Haha that stupid tree, got sam's jeep and my jeep in almost identical places on the rear drip rail. That was such a fun trip, I can't wait to go again.

i hate that stupid tree hahaha. dud that was a blast. yes please get a skid and a front diff guard dude!! can't wait to hit the con w you!! love the bumper mayn

you are sure its piston slap ? not an exhaust leak?
make sure the manifolds are not leaking at the head, and make sure the header isn't cracked.

try some 20w-50 oil and a better filter? how is oil pressure? you could pull the head and most places do a valve job for like 170$.

Sam- Thanks buddy! Dude the con is going to be a blast! I can't wait! I've already put the tcase skid in and upgraded my tie rod.

Jon- I know it's not an exhaust leak because the sound isn't a hiss it more of if you took a rubber mallet and hit it against something hard, and it sounds deep in the engine.

The oil pressure is around 60-70 cold an 40 warm. I'm running a wix filter and rotellaT for oil.

I'm going to do a compression test before the head comes off. I could just get the valves done at work if they do need to be done.

I did find the rattle when it idles down, the ceramic in the cat is coming apart and bouncing around in it.

Back