• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Official "That Dumb P.O." Thread!

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all.

Looking for everything stupid, redundant, ghetto, or otherwise amusing that the owner before you did to their Jeep before you bought it. All pics are welcome.

my jeep's climate control system didn't work when i bought it, neither did hte a/c used this to talk them down on the price.

took it home, spent half an hour playing with the vac tubes, found out that the valve going into the cab was in backwards... turned it around, everything worked except the a/c

took it to an a/c shop, turns out their mechanic didn't tighten the fitting to the condensor and all the freon he put in leaked out. My guy tightened it, filled it up, works great now.

With my first MJ, instead of replacing a rear cab window with a glass version, the PO used plexi. Held in with duct tape and clear silicone. I took it out with three fingers... Not to mention it was so fogged you couldn't see through it.

The one that everything was done up with orange RTV was pretty cool. That was my second MJ. I mean everything, including all vacuum lines were sealed with it. And it appeared they had made a head gasket with it...

And in my XJ a remote starter was spliced in to the fuse panel/ignition. The entire box was left hanging by the wires under the dash above the brake pedal. Suprise suprise, it fell off and jammed under the brake. Always cool with an auto. Especially when it happens when somebody is hammering the brakes in front of you.

However, anybody who has bought anything from me would probably say I'm the worst PO in the world.

The drivers lower seatbelt. (the one the seatbelt clicks into) Was a piece of a lap belt off another car. They just tied a knot in it around the bolt on the floor.:gee:

had allowed ~ 1/8" of tar to build up inside from smoking. I'm stil having fun with the smell

The PO trimmed the wheelwells way too much. I had to add some bracing to open and close the doors properly. He also didn't change the diff fluid after water crossing, soo...the only part of the d30 that's original is the housing at this point. Hey, at least it came with tj flares, a snorkel, and four mismatched 33's:D It works fine now, and I'm the only one who has working ac in my rig. It was worth it.

I recently sold my '88.
It had been parked outside for about 6 mo.

Wasps had setup shop in my snorkel - I discovered that by finding a bunch on them in the airbox/filter.

I hope I got them all out... :D

Whoever owned mine before me "lost" about $10 in coins down in amongst the 4x4 engagement handle. I was pulling out quarters that were bent, theres still some in there that I couldn't get but at least it isn't messing with anything now.

On my MJ #2....the WORST ghetto rigged cobbled POS wiring for the "Sound System" I have ever seen....there was so much cobbled up, hacked wiring tied into the under dash wiring harness, I had to REMOVE the harness and spend TWO days restoring it.....AND the interior smelled like asscrack...had to pull everything out and sanitize it....the stink was in the foam of the seat so bad, I had to have the seat completely rebuilt with all new foam...the "antenna" was a coat hanger....the "pipe bumpers" welding was so bad, I literally ripped the "bumper" off by hand.

BUT!!! The body was flawless, no rust at all, not even underneath, no dents, door hinges good....and I bought it for 200 bux:laugh:

That's funny!

A guy whose signature says "I'm an old fart" complaining about the fart smell in the seats.:roflmao:

For those not in the know :laugh3: "Old Fart" is a title bestowed only upon those of extreme experience and wisdom.....one must toil and work hard to achieve this lofty goal....the title can only be officially given by an even older preordained Old Fart.....so come the day if you acheive Old Fart status, you know you have arrived.

Perks of Old Fartness include: (A) You are always right. (B) You can belch and fart any time you want. (C) Address uppity youngsters as Dumbass.
(D) Crowds gather to hear the stories of your adventures. (E) Run the show without actually doing any of the work using your point finger to direct the project. (F) Have it your way every time. (G) Last but not least....no better what the conversation is about, you have done it better, quicker, faster, longer, deeper, than anyone present, unless you have to defer to an older Old Fart.

Plexi rear side window. Also there were a bunch of square bags that were duct taped together. It looked like the ones you see on TV that the cops are pulling out of cars. When I took all the interior out to do redo the floor and Herculine I saw it stuffed in between the interior plastic and the body in the back. I didn't know what to think when I found it, but I cut it open and it was full of sand. I also found my horn button under all of the carpeting. I have no clue how it got under there, but I found it when I was cutting everything out. It was worth the $800.

I'm not entirely sure what happened but according to the Maryland State Police "The roof made contact with a stationary object. It hit an embankment." As a result my roof is not original and now I am dealing with a not so structurally sound XJ with doors that don't quite fit right (this being despite the fact that my paint and body guy said it was a really well replaced roof). I guess it is just more reason to cage it and hack the roof off. I really wish I had a garage.

It appears that the PO of my 2 door must have had a habit of parking it submerged in a creek or a lake or maybe they just never rolled up the windows when it rained.

I know a guy whose PO put a bunch of brass tacks in the seats and into the dash for no reason to give it a "studded" look.

Mine had a wad of double-sided duct tape where the hood catch was supposed to be.

Back