• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The lift from Hell: A Rant / Vent (Words of encouragement appreciated)

Here are the pics of the holes I had to cut to get access to the front leaf bolts. You can see the new bolts / nuts. Yes I know those holes are bigger than they need to be but it was pretty tough finding the exact spot where to locate the spot to cut. Yes I know that one bolt doesn't clear the nut in the picture but it does:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
This is what I've got to call Rough Country about tomorrow. As you can see the shackles are facing the front and pretty much lodged against the Unibody frame:

aefbfc58-988a-0318.jpg

aefbfc58-989e-854a.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some other views:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
As you can see the axle is right where it should be. I'm wondering if I was supposed to get longer shackles?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
did you wait to tighten the leaf bolts and shackle bolts until you had it back on the ground? that is really not supposed to be that way.

I'm not gonna lie, that's kinda hack, man...

What's hack? The bolts? The other bolts snapped off rusty when I was removing them. There really isn't anyway to get inside the frame rail there to put in a new weld nut (especially since I can't weld) and I wasn't confident drilling it out and re-tapping it.

I needed something stong to keep that cross member in place because the front nuts are on a fixed bolt and when the bracket braces were in place, the nuts wouldn't go on the bolt far enough for me to be 100% comfortable.

I used an old bushing center to space between the brace and the pinchseam to keep it from crushing. It may not look pretty, but the cross member is pretty stout. I had zero issues at Hale Mountain on my first run after finishing it.

Out of curiosity, how would you have done it?

I would have drilled a small hole through the floor where it covers the top of the frame and gotten to it that way. I know people who have drilled those weldnuts out and tapped up to at least a 1/2-13 (though that's pushing it) - they aren't all that small, plenty of meat in there to work with.

Going through the side of the frame I'm not sure how I would have fixed it up after - the problem being corrosion resistance after the fact, of course. Expanding foam is cool except the risk is that the inside wall of the frame isn't perfectly clean and will wick water into the bare cut metal and allow it to corrode, welding a patch over it is cool except that it burns all the protection off the inside and then you can't protect it at all. I can't really think of a good answer right now, aside from boring through the floor and getting at the nut that way, or boring the nut out and tapping to a larger size (preferably loading it with antiseize at the same time!)

I'm still intrigued by how jeeps rust differently in different areas of the country - up here, things rot out and leak to the point that my crossmember nuts and bolts came off with not a single problem, since they were soaked with 20 years of leakage from the front diff, PS system, oil sump, and trans cooler lines all rotting and/or seals being aged by weather and salt. I just put a wrench on them and unscrewed them.

But you could fit a shoebox through the hole in the passenger floorboard, and there was almost nothing left of the bottom of the frame rail behind the crossmember for about 3 feet due to corrosion.

And somehow you guys get beautiful sheetmetal, but your fasteners are impossible to get loose.

did you wait to tighten the leaf bolts and shackle bolts until you had it back on the ground? that is really not supposed to be that way.

Well yeah I would think it isn't supposed to be like that. As far as the tightening the bolts, the only thing that's going to change in my situation once the weight comes down on the axle and springs is its going to put more pressure on that bad angle with the shackle. It's stretched to far. I'm waiting to see what RC wants to do. I'm thinking I was supposed to receive replacement shackles.

My rear shackles looked the same way even after the weight was on them. I had to use a large prybar to pull the shackle back as the truck was let down. Once you do that and drive around a bit before everything settled in.

Well I talked to Jason at Rough Country today. He consulted with their R&D department and came to the same conclusion. He was honest and said that he has seen this happen on models ranging from 84-01. Why exactly this happens he did not know. After offering me several options we decided that it was probably best if he send out a set of 3" leaf packs with extended shackles. The bad news is the upper bolt that retains the shackle to the Unibody's chassis has a problem. While trying to loosen the bolt the nut that resides inside the rail (God knows where) has broken from its welds and is free spinning. This is indeed the "lift from hell".

HD Offroads are way nicer and Made in USA by a current sponsor. I'm trying to get a set now.

Open the hatch, pull back the carpet and cut from the floorboard. I had the same problem it sucks but pretty common.

Open the hatch, pull back the carpet and cut from the floorboard. I had the same problem it sucks but pretty common.

Yeah I did that but couldn't get a wrench or socket on anything. Not saying it cant be done as that would have been the preferred route. However I have gone another route. I know one thing I'm glad I didn't remove the bumper and try to attack it from that way. The sheet metal and the rail holes were not lined up exactly the same. A socket would have not gotten in there.

Back