• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The lift from Hell: A Rant / Vent (Words of encouragement appreciated)

GAXJ4U

NAXJA Forum User
Wow, still in the process of installing the 4.5" lift on my XJ and I have to admit this has been one hell of an adventure. I don't think I've ever seen so much stuff go wrong with a lift let alone an upgrade to a vehicle.
Now with that said let me say that I do have extensive knowledge of vehicle / vehicle systems (Chassis, Suspension, Braking Systems, Electronics, Engine Performance, etc.). But that's not really what this thread is about. For my credentials just see my bio.
Since I have began this "journey" with my new XJ I have had to cut out the LCA bolts (the two to the Unibody; yes common I know). I've had to remove the track bar bracket and heat, press, and beat the snot out of the tie rod end to get it removed. One of the coil spring retainers started to free spin after new coil spring was installed leaving it "almost" tight.

Moving on to the cross member I found where one of the studs was already broken off from the previous owner. After trying to remove the nuts and studs what I am left with is two studs that are broken off and two points that I was able to remove. Obviously this leaves me in a predicament as I need to install spacers between the cross member. Last night I said screw it for now and bolted it back up as it was (only being able to bolt the two front bolts in place). This left me with a nice gap showing between the rear of the cross member and the unibody. Oh and RC only sent me 2 extended bolts instead of the needed four. I did attempt to cut out a hole on the side of the univody to expose the bracket and stud that was inside the rail (I know now i should have gone through the top or just drilled it out as I'm still going to have to do). Crappy thing is I have a hole there now (outside of the rail).

I decided to move on to the rear today. Of course the sway bar wasn't budging so I took the grinding wheel to that. I had planned on removing it anyway. Upon trying to remove the two forward leaf spring bolts both of them managed to break the welds to the nuts mounted in the unibody rail. I managed to find a space in the cab under the rear seat to cut through giving me access to this nut. But yet again two more freakin holes. Luckily one of the bolts did manage to come out. The other had to be cut out as it was seized to the bushing sleeve. The two rear leaf spring bolts were also interesting.
Due to a receiver hitch being in the way of the driver rear leaf spring bolt I decided to remove the shackle bolt and drop the spring down to better access the rear leaf bolt. That worked out okay. However I did notice as I went back together with the new spring pack in place that the shackle pretty much is in contact with the unibody mount. I am hoping that will change after I set this thing back down on the ground (maybe the geometry will change). The passenger side was a PITA. As I stated earlier I had to cut out the front leaf bolt. The rear had to be cut out as well as it wasn't budging. The crappy thing here was not only was I dealing with clearance issues with the receiver hitch but the exhaust pipe was routed right next to the shackle and rear leaf bushing bolt. So the exhaust had to be cut back.
Oh and here's another interesting thing I came across. As I was removing the clip to relocate the brake line and install the bracket I had to tweak that is, bend the brake line ever so slightly to accommodate the new angle. Even with the easy bending I did the line sprang a leak. So it looks like that will have to be replaced.
So tomorrow I will have to drill out another hole this time on the passenger side to access the nut with the broken weld (as I did with the drivers' side) and replace that nut as well. I am hoping that tomorrow I will be able to get the passenger side leaf in place so at least by the end of the weekend the vehicle will be sitting on all four tires. Then sometime during the week I can figure out a) what I am going to fill in those holes with so water does not enter and b) work on that cross member issue. Then maybe sometime after that I can get around to the break line.

So damn is it me or did Jeep use the bottom of the barrel hardware when assembling these things? Was the robot or installer having a bad day and over torquing the shit out of the nuts and bolts? I have done several lifts on many different makes (some which were a lot older) and never had this many issues. Is it just an XJ thing?

So in conclusion if any of you have ran into all these problems on a single lift let me know. That way I wont feel like the odd man out. Or if any of you can conjure up some word of encouragement they would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds about like a typical XJ lift process to me. On some of the holes that I cut in my frame rails I used expanding foam to fill it.

I ran into a similar problem with my crossmember bolts when I added in my LCA drop brackets. I drilled a new hole through the crossmember and the "lip" off the rail just above it. I cut down an old bushing metal sleeve for rigidity and then bolted it tight. If and when I get an opportunity to photograph it I could post a picture.

Anyone know if you can post directly from an iPhone?

I have'nt heard anything about
the rear shock mounts yet. Lol guess you haven't made it there. I encountered some of that buy my rear leafs actually dropped fine. The front seizing to the bushing oh that was fun.

I am on app on iphone. Just above these letters here i am pushing is a camera click it and it will give you options on adding a photo. If your not using app i cant help ya.

Sounds like its Awfully rusty to me... I usually don't have issues with Cherokees coming apart, but if stuff like this happens, The bill gets a lot bigger.

There's nothing I hate more than working on a rusty jeep!

Or maybe grinding??? lol.

At this point you have to keep chipping away at it until it's done. But look at the bright side, you will have all brand new bolts holding your suspension on!

Sounds pretty normal to me. How much PB blaster did.you use?

yikes, that really sucks.

I didn't have any of those bolts break on my XJ or my MJ and my floorpans were GONE. I have no idea how I got away with it so easily.

I have'nt heard anything about
the rear shock mounts yet. Lol guess you haven't made it there. I encountered some of that buy my rear leafs actually dropped fine. The front seizing to the bushing oh that was fun.

I am on app on iphone. Just above these letters here i am pushing is a camera click it and it will give you options on adding a photo. If your not using app i cant help ya.

I was thinking the same thing about the shock mounts.

All the issues you mentioned do happen, although usually not all on the same Jeep. Like Stryker said, when you put everything back together use ALOT of anti-seize. Stay with it. It'll be worth it in the end.

yikes, that really sucks.

I didn't have any of those bolts break on my XJ or my MJ and my floorpans were GONE. I have no idea how I got away with it so easily.

Yeah that's the weird thing. No visible rust on the jeep with the exception of a spot on the body. Guess it just worked its way in over the years.

All the issues you mentioned do happen, although usually not all on the same Jeep. Like Stryker said, when you put everything back together use ALOT of anti-seize. Stay with it. It'll be worth it in the end.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sounds about like a typical XJ lift process to me. On some of the holes that I cut in my frame rails I used expanding foam to fill it.

I ran into a similar problem with my crossmember bolts when I added in my LCA drop brackets. I drilled a new hole through the crossmember and the "lip" off the rail just above it. I cut down an old bushing metal sleeve for rigidity and then bolted it tight. If and when I get an opportunity to photograph it I could post a picture.

Anyone know if you can post directly from an iPhone?

Yeah pics would be cool if you could. BTW didn't think about the expanding foam. Everyone says it retains water and will cause future dust issues. Or
Is there another type out there that you used? That would be a clever fix to all of those holes.

Last edited:
Hmmmm......

How hard would it be to build a small inground pool about 3 feet deep, ramp to roll in, and just fill the thing with PB Blaster? Guess you could just winch the Jeep back out. :wierd:

Hmmmm......

How hard would it be to build a small inground pool about 3 feet deep, ramp to roll in, and just fill the thing with PB Blaster? Guess you could just winch the Jeep back out. :wierd:

Lol, ain't that the truth. It's coming to an end now. Been working crazy shifts so haven't had time to get back on it. All that's really left is to put the back shocks on, the wheel spacers, repair the brake line and replace the studs at the crossmember. Oh yeah and fill the freakin holes, lol.

Hmmmm......

Lol, ain't that the truth.

Seriously though if I can ever get away from work all that's left is the rear shock absorbers, 1.5" wheel spacers and to drill out and install those studs on the crossmember so I can install the spacers. Then I just have to figure out what I'm going to fill in those holes I cut out with. I have a few ideas.

Yeah pics would be cool if you could. BTW didn't think about the expanding foam. Everyone says it retains water and will cause future dust issues. Or
Is there another type out there that you used? That would be a clever fix to all of those holes.

I shot photos today. Just need to get them downloaded, then I can post them up. Sorry for the delay. Vacation last week and a 3 day sales retreat to start this week.

At long last.

Here is a shot of the expanding foam that I used after I cut into the frame rail. I suppose that water and rust might be an issue. Not sure if that stuff aborbs it or not. Since it is used to seal cracks to keep out water, I have to assume not. Not a great job as I look closely...but the frame is full of holes anyway.

IMG_0171.jpg

Here are two shots of how I resecured my crossmember after I put on the drop brackets. I ended up snapping off 2 of the bolts when I removed it...and the drop bracket brace didn't allow for much grab on the other bolt that I was still good on each side.

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

I'm not gonna lie, that's kinda hack, man...

@ Cottontail. What kind of foam did you use?

Back