• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the LED tail light thread

Man if I could only get a hold of some clear lenses.... I'm thinking about caving and buying a pair of euro tails just to mess around with, I have some pretty cool ideas :)

I would use candy red paint for the sectioning of the lense. Proper urethane, not that spray bomb crap. Then smoke the middle section for either turn signals or "reverse" (useless). Here is a pic of one that was smoked. This is pretty dark, but you can vary the shade of it to whatever you want. Do the same with the candy red for darker or lighter red.

P1000796.jpg

P1000815.jpg

P1000913.jpg

I don't want to jump the gun on this project. Afterall, the guy didn't get the spares yet. I spoke with him again today, and he told me once
he makes sure everything is golden on the boards (that they fit right, and work properly), he will definitely sell assembled boards for the DIY
crowd. He told me earlier that he will make molds of our lenses, so all the neat aesthetic stuff we're discussing now will be tended to right
after the boards are complete.

Having said that, I think the tints above are way too dark for street-legal use, but I will admit they do look good. I know what you mean
about varying the tint however . Personally, I had something like this in mind (it's probably the extant most people can get away with legally).
civic-tailtint.jpg

Last edited:
Dan man, did you put a clear coat on top of the tint? Yours look waaay better than mine...
I did mine way to dark and i know it, so dont hate. And no, I have never been pulled over for them.

Here are some pics. (About 3 coats of VHT)

img048.jpg

img049.jpg

img050.jpg

img051.jpg

Last edited:
Alsacorp and R-M are the only two companies that I know of that sell black candy concentrate. Both VERY reputable companies.

Yes, there is clear on top of the candy coat(s). A lot :) then wet sanded and buffed.

Alsacorp and R-M are the only two companies that I know of that sell black candy concentrate. Both VERY reputable companies.

Yes, there is clear on top of the candy coat(s). A lot :) then wet sanded and buffed.

The finish is perfect. mine looks all dirty and rough. Yours is like glass.

Awesome. Great to hear. Be sure to take TONS of pics as things progress :) I caved last night and bought some eurotrash tails. I'll be posting up as I dick around as well.

lol You just couldn't wait could you? You had to get some altezzas.

hehe, I think you'd go mental if you had to wait as long as I have for my front LED markers (I'm still waiting for them BTW). That guy loved to snap pics, but he worked slow. Hopefully this guy does the reverse. Of course, pics are nice too :D

lol You just couldn't wait could you? You had to get some altezzas.

hehe, I think you'd go mental if you had to wait as long as I have for my front LED markers (I'm still waiting for them BTW). That guy loved to snap pics, but he worked slow. Hopefully this guy does the reverse. Of course, pics are nice too :D

So you ordered LED side markers before tails?

That's why I'm using someone else for the tail light project. The other guy has a tendency of disappearing for months on end. He emailed me yesterday to say my marker boards were repaired and shipped back to him.... so I guess that means I should see them sometime between August 2009 and 2012 (when the world's scheduled to end) lol

That's why I'm using someone else for the tail light project. The other guy has a tendency of disappearing for months on end. He emailed me yesterday to say my marker boards were repaired and shipped back to him.... so I guess that means I should see them sometime between August 2009 and 2012 (when the world's scheduled to end) lol

lol wow. hopefully this new guy is a little more reliable...

aw yes, the pity fab'er...

Almost as good as pity se.... you know.

Back