• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the LED tail light thread

urban yan

NAXJA Forum User
Well I monopolized enough of bcmaxx's tail light thread, so I decided to start a new one. As most of you guys know... I'm finishing-up my LED signal marker lights, and I'll be looking into some LED tails next. I could ask my friend Greg to retrofit a set, BUT he hates working with LEDs. It almost seems easier to request a manufacturer to design a set for us. These are the two companies I spoke with:

www.anzousa.com
A tech at anzousa.com said they did produce an LED taillight for the Cherokee but had too many problems with the resistance from the ecu, so they discontinued the line after a few ECUs melted.

Personally, I don't buy it. I never saw the lights for sale (and I keep my eyes peeled for this stuff all the time), so I emailed him to clarify we're talking about the XJ not the WJ. I asked him for a photo before they were scrapped.

www.inprocarwear.com
They confirmed they sent my mock-ups to R&D. I was told it would take several months before a decision is made whether to develop the said product. They said their R&D team would have to do market researches, popularity, selling price and costs, develop-ability of the product (meaning whether it is possible to make it LED). Some tail lights are too small to be designed into LED tail lights. Etc.

//////////////////////
I'm going to use this thread to post updates. Hopefully some of you guys can chime in with your own, input, mock-ups, or links to other companies that make LEDs (I'll do the footwork to contact them)
//////////////////////

BTW. Here is the mock-up I sent them:
LEDtaillights_97-01_Jeep-Cherokee-v.gif

I LOVE the idea!!!! I have wanted someone to make LED lights for Cherokees for a while. I would like to through out my 2 cents and say I think they should have a smoked lenses instead of red with red lights for the brake and running lights but still retain yellow amber lights for the turn signals. Just my thought. I know RECON makes a bunch of stuff for full size trucks but send them some ideas and see what they think. They make some BA lights and may be up for it.

I agree with the OEM feel thats why I think there should still be amber LEDs for the turn signals. But that is just me. But glad I could help make a suggestion and if we are lucky they will pick up the idea and make some killer taillights and they are also smart enough to make LED center brake lights which many manufacturers tend to neglect to remember.

Hah... just saw this after posting in the other thread lol. I personally like the first pair of chopped ones. They almost look like the new toyota suv lights. Would you be separating the stop/tail/turn functions, or using a PWM to combine everything?

Quite honestly I don't know. I imagine that everything would be separated like in the oem lights. I just slapped those pictures together to build some sizzle, and to direct them away from some chrome happy or craptezza-tastic design. I think a clean/oem design would sell allot better than a flashy one.

I'm going to email these guys back next week. If someone knows of another manufacturer that deals with led tail lights than let me know... I'll contact them as well.

well i shouldnt admit it but i have the craptezzas i did go for the amber turn tho if it matters. i put led bulbs from superbrightleds in em. they are distintive in that few xjs have them.all my exterior bulbs are led, that being said i would definatly be interested in your design if you can get them produced. i like the lower left design.keep us posted,and thanks for your effort. i also converted my 3rd brake light to led, with one of those ribbon led strip light got off ebay for 1.25

Last edited:
www.anzousa.com
A tech at anzousa.com said they did produce an LED taillight for the Cherokee but had too many problems with the resistance from the ecu, so they discontinued the line after a few ECUs melted.

Are you sure they weren't talking about a 99+ Grand Cherokee? They have a BCM that controls lighting. However, on our XJ the PCM doesn't have anything to do with the brake lights activating.

^ I was thinking the same thing. Most of them say NOT FOR XJ at the end of the application listing. Even though it LOOKS very similar.

If you could avoid using a PWM I would. They tend to complicate things, and can be pretty pricey for just a simple one.

Are you sure they weren't talking about a 99+ Grand Cherokee? They have a BCM that controls lighting. However, on our XJ the PCM doesn't have anything to do with the brake lights activating.
That was actually the first thing I asked him. They never replied back, so I sent them another email.

BTW. Does anyone know of other companies that offer LED tail lights? I'm still looking for more leeds.

Well I'm either certifiably insane or serious for a set of LED tails, because I spent a huge chunk of time tracking and emailing other tail light manufacturers. So far these are the guys that replied back:

Jeep LED lights - www.JeepLEDlights.com
JeepLEDlights at aol dot com
- He said the chances are slim to none he'll make a set. It's a shame because his work is AMAZING!!!!!

Winjet - www.winjetauto.com
sales at winjetauto dot com
- They said they'll talk to their retail customers to gauge interest in this model.

These are the other guys I emailed/ awaiting a reply.

Cawor Enterprises Co.,Ltd. http://ec.caraccessory.com.tw
- email on submit form

EFX - www.euroeffects.net
info at euroefx dot com

Elegante - www.elegantebytyc.com
salesmarketing at genera dot com

KGS Racing - www.kgsengineering.com
Customer at kgsengineering dot com

SPEC-D Tuning - www.specdtuning.com
info at specdtuning dot com

Spyder - www.spyderauto.com
sales at spyderauto dot com
- LED tails for the WJ and WK

Vertex racing - www.vertexracing.com
sales at vertexracing dot com

RECON www.gorecon.com
customerservice at reconaccessories dot com
I also emailed them again

I like the one in the right top photo. Those look pretty slick.

My dad has some capabilities of plastic forming at his work, I'll have to take a second look into that. If I could just get a hold of some clear lenses, or better yet how to mass produce them I would be in business.

My dad has some capabilities of plastic forming at his work, I'll have to take a second look into that. If I could just get a hold of some clear lenses, or better yet how to mass produce them I would be in business.

All those craptezzas use clear housings, and everybody makes them.
I often wondered why none of those companies gutted the crap from inside/ converted the shells for an LED application. UGH, this is really frustrating.... every other Jeep out there seems to have an LED application floating around... except ours!!!

Back