• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The hills between San Jacinto and Beaumont

I know my neighbor rides out that way off of Highland Springs but I've never been.

Browsing the satellite images looks like it's open coming in from Banning.

10 Frwy
South on Sunset
Left on Shirleon
Right in Old Idylwild
Right on Wolfskil Truck Trail

Left at 33.8561. -116.9264

So anybody been up in this area?

I've taken our KL Trailhawk through most of the trails up there. Bee Canyon is a nice drive with a water crossing when it rains. There are some offshoot trails that are a LOT of fun in the KL. We had a couple solid axle guys in the group and they were lifting tires and getting tugged through a couple spots. All in all it is a nice relaxing drive in the hills.

alltrails.com has some pretty good reviews on the area also.

Mostly private land- Bee Canyon access off San Jacinto side. There used to be tons of places to ride/ wheel there but the yahoos pissed off the property owners that now have fenced it off and/or posted No Tresspassing.
Some of the land I believe is Soboba Indian Res

I am not looking for a wheeling spot.

Turns out we have interest in a chunk of land out there. Others have tried to access it coming south on Highland Springs only to hit the locked gate at about 33.888993, -116.934030. There appears to be a somewhat mysterious history on some of the adjacent land. None of my family has attempted to access the land. There appears to be some interesting abandoned structures in the area.

Appears looking east from what I think is Petroro shaft (33.8561, -116.9264) is overlooking the subject property. Edit: 33.8565, -116.9381

The most viable path I can see from satellite images and a little bit of internet research appears to be:

10 Frwy
South on Sunset
Left on Shirleon
Right in Old Idylwild
Right on Wolfskil Truck Trail

Left at 33.8561, -116.9264 Edit: 33.8565, -116.9381
Down into a valley to 33.8565, -116.9381 and then foot paths up (South) onto property. I don't see any tire tracks on the subject property.

Last edited:
Wicked terrain- as far as I ever knew that was Soboba Indian Reservation in that area. USA always made sure to give the Indians nice fertile ground. I can ask my pops the history of that area- he was mounted posse and search n rescue and still rides his horse all over the banning pass area

We got in there this past weekend. Entered via Sunset and worked our way Bain the the back side of the preserve. Mostly Fire roads, but they do get a little narrow, steep and rutty in places.

Got to petroro shaft and down into the valley. There are live munitions warning signs and several water district stand pipes down there. The road tests the 74 goes past some abandoned buildings.

There is nobody down there, it's nice and quite, would be a cool spot in the spring.

The subject property I was trying to look at is several hundred acres, I saw no driveable access paths to it. Would have to forge a path then hike up to access it.

Looks to be pretty useless, not even worth paying the property tax.

Back