• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The build thread

.....and what is with everyone painting their Heep olive drab?
Agreed, but i do love the flat green that does look pretty nice.
But really lets get some updates and some action shots!

day24.jpg

day313.jpg

day315.jpg

Maybe it's me, maybe it's that I'm looking at pictures from 500+ miles a way. But this use of lumber scares me a tad.....

On the other hand, it looks like it'll be a great XJ when you get done....

i can see why your drinking pbr all yer dough is tied up in yer jeep looks good though yall and yer skills make me so jealous what kind of work do you do

Maybe it's me, maybe it's that I'm looking at pictures from 500+ miles a way. But this use of lumber scares me a tad.....
That's what we do with 50-Ton rail cars. If we have to put the car on a horse, we put some hardwood in between. It compresses nicely and keeps the car from moving around on the horse.

That's what we do with 50-Ton rail cars. If we have to put the car on a horse, we put some hardwood in between. It compresses nicely and keeps the car from moving around on the horse.

!!!1

Poor thing... I don't even think a Clydesdale could handle that....

I've seen many ways that are less safe for adding height to a jack stand.(cinder blocks come to mind).

Maybe it was a first glance type of thing.....:dunno:

Maybe it's just past my bedtime.....

Dutch,

I would never rain on anyones parade but I have done this same front end swap before. The low pinion waggy will not give you enough caster angle to correct your pinion angle. Turning up the caster enough to keep it on the road will not allow the pinion to work properly. Correcting the pinion angle cause the caster to be too negative causing severe (understatement) bumpsteer. I highly suggest you find a high pinion 44 or have the knuckles rotated on your Waggy. This setup is highly dangerous and problematic with more than 2-3 inches of lift.

This thing will change lanes every time you hit a pea sized rock in the road.

Nice build going on!

That's a good point about using the Waggy 44, it really solves alot of problems rotating the knuckles, and it's not that hard.

That's really gonna make a difference on how you place that TnT truss. To get a good pinion angle, I think you'll find you want somewhere around 10 degrees maybe more, it will probably require some grinding on the back side of the truss so it will clear around the center section.
Dsc00988.jpg

I had to do that and a knuckle rotation on this HP44 build.

I think TnT figures most people don't worry about the pinion angle and they just set the housings up for a good caster angle. The truss fits just right and is easy to line up for that set up. Pinion angle won't often effect on-road drivability since the hubs unlock.

But here in Colorado we do use 4 wheel drive on the roads in winter sometimes and you do have to worry about stress on the front driveshaft especially when articulating off-road.

Dutch - Since I am running an un-turned-knuckle waggy axle, I'll chime in, particularly since I don't think it is as bad as portrayed above. I am at about 5" of lift, and set my caster at 4.5 degrees. While my pinion angle is not ideal, it isnt so low as to stress out the u-joints too much, and it works fine in 4wd on the road in the snow. I am also running a radius arm setup, so at least my pinion angle doesn't get any worse at droop than it is at drive height. I think it would be a problem at greater than 5" of lift, but I dont have any issues with sudden lane changes on pebbles with my caster as is... it handles fine on the highway at 70 and is my daily driver. :cheers:

After the mourishment my son wanted some love, and to steal my hat.
day32.jpg

My buddy Matt after helping me pull the T-Case.
day320.jpg
I know it's not the case. But the silliest things catch my eye, and I'm a bit twisted in my thinking....

The baby looks to be being held haphazardly, and the t-case is being cradled with love and affection....

Then again, I'm just looking at pictures from 500+miles away.....

Well I haven't gotten much accomplished this last week. Between military duty over the weekend and a good friend's brother killing himself after returning from Iraq my week has been filled with late nights. Furthermore I'm trying to buy a house. I'm actually starting to get pretty depressed and am no longer counting on making November to Remember.

Even worse (in terms of the build), just now when I started to put my t-case back together I ran into a problem. The gears that need to be transferred over from the stock shaft to the new SYE shaft don't fit onto the SYE shaft. Not entirely sure why except the obvious thing is that the diameter of the SYE is greater than the diameter of the stock shaft. The size difference looks to be the exact thickness of the bearing that are pressed into the said gears. Its an Advance Adapters SYE kit, I'm going to give Rusty's a call and see whats up.

I did finish painting the majority of the Jeep last night though. All thats left is the two doors I'd removed, the hood, and the roof. The roof will have to wait until I can get the Jeep out of the garage.

Stang will be up tomorrow and we're going to weld the stuff onto the axles and weld up my uni-body stiffeners. Then if we have time I'm going to make him help me throw the new gears/lockers in the axles.

I had a buddy off himself a few weeks ago -- it blows, especially for those left behind to be pissed. Hang in there man, and share the good memories with family and friends.

As for the SYE, I think those needle bearings in the gears need to be pressed out for use in the HD SYE...

Well I haven't gotten much accomplished this last week. Between military duty over the weekend and a good friend's brother killing himself after returning from Iraq my week has been filled with late nights. Furthermore I'm trying to buy a house. I'm actually starting to get pretty depressed and am no longer counting on making November to Remember.

Even worse (in terms of the build), just now when I started to put my t-case back together I ran into a problem. The gears that need to be transferred over from the stock shaft to the new SYE shaft don't fit onto the SYE shaft. Not entirely sure why except the obvious thing is that the diameter of the SYE is greater than the diameter of the stock shaft. The size difference looks to be the exact thickness of the bearing that are pressed into the said gears. Its an Advance Adapters SYE kit, I'm going to give Rusty's a call and see whats up.

I did finish painting the majority of the Jeep last night though. All thats left is the two doors I'd removed, the hood, and the roof. The roof will have to wait until I can get the Jeep out of the garage.

Stang will be up tomorrow and we're going to weld the stuff onto the axles and weld up my uni-body stiffeners. Then if we have time I'm going to make him help me throw the new gears/lockers in the axles.

I am sorry to hear about your friends brother!!! More of my unit just got called up to South Africa because of the Piracy going on there, I may be getting deployed very soon myself! On the lighter side, I recently installed the very same AA SYE on a 231 I had thinking I would like it better, had no problems. I hope to see ya at the run on the 8th but if you cannot make it, there will always be more runs! I wish you and your family the best!!:us:NAXJA

Don't know what to say dude...............

You can always vent out here.

Even if you can't make N2R III least you have a little more build time to finish it without feeling rushed. When do you have to report for another tour? Maybe there will be another couple trips before you go?

Well my deployment has been cancelled for now, so thats not an issue.

Talked to Rusty's and apparently I have the AA's HD kit and that requires me to remove said bearings from the chain gear. Not a big deal, although I'm not sure how much I like the idea of not having bearings there. The chain gear free spins on the shaft when its not in 4wd, thats a lot of metal on metal contact with no bearings.

Well so far today I did manage to get a little done. Right now I'm waiting on the wife to get back from work so i can head up to Lowes and get a few things. We would have made more progress but Josh's Hobart 220V welder was giving us some major headaches. I've never been overly impressed with Hobarts in the past and now I'm definately going to get a Lincoln when I finally buy a welder of my own. Josh did leave me his 110V Lincoln and that'll be enough for me to finish up the welding, I'll just have to use the slowes wire speed and fight off carpul tunnel to get good penetration. :D

Most of the jeep is painted now
Day5.jpg

Day53.jpg

I had to clean up after this mess
Day54.jpg

Old brackets and what-nots ground off axles
Day59.jpg

Day58.jpg

Day55.jpg

Day56.jpg

Welded the tubes to the housing on the D44 (please forgive my welds, its been awhile and i've never mig welded w/o gas before)
Day57.jpg

Added a new hose onto the breather tube fro the D44
Day511.jpg

Where is the breather tube supposed to go?
Day510.jpg

Maybe here?
Day512.jpg

Yeah, that looks right.
Day52.jpg

I'm going to weld on the rear spring plates and weld the tubes into the housing on the 8.8 next, just waiting on the wifey.

Back