• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TCM interchangability?

lawsoncl said:
The wiring colors changed between the years, particulary between the Renix and HO years.

That too. 1986-1987 saw a change in what control system was used, 1988-1989 was the changeover from AMC to ChryCo, 1990-1991 was the change from RENIX to OBD-I, ...

Another problem I've run into; my TCM harness does not have wires in all the places that the articles says should have wires. Maybe that's the problem. haha.

I wasn't sure which plug in the throttle body was the TPS. I was going to check and try to adjust it.

bigalpha said:
Another problem I've run into; my TCM harness does not have wires in all the places that the articles says should have wires. Maybe that's the problem. haha.

I wasn't sure which plug in the throttle body was the TPS. I was going to check and try to adjust it.

TPS is easy to find. Check out your throttle body, and note where the throttle linkage meets it - that's the end of the throttle shaft. Follow that shaft to the other side of the throttle body - that's where the TPS is.

bigalpha said:
What pins are missing? Sure you're not looking at it upside down? The red and yellow wires should be an easy reference for which row and pin is which. This might be helpful:

AW4_OBDI_Connector.jpg

Ah. That matches what I have. I was seriously confused. I was using the guidance of that "Shift Points". I think I posted a link to that already. That must be from a different year.

But yes, this looks like what I'm seeing. Do I still use the readings from that article as guidance to test the TCM?

I'll go sneak a peak at the throttle body and see what my little eye can see.

When I was scoping it out today, there was two plugs. One plug had 3 pins and the other plug had 4 pins. Well, the plug itself didnt have pins, but it had the holes the pins go into. the plugs were all linear. i.e.: the holes lined up like this: oooo or ooo

But neither plug was directly across from the linkage. There are two linkages though. One is for the throttle, and the other is for cruise?

Yes, the only things that really changed between the Renix and the 95 would be wire colors and the datalink connectors (Renix was serial, 95 would be OBDI).

Unplug the trans computer and measure at the wiring harness connector. Check for +12 volts on D14 and D16 (yellow and red wires) with the ignition on. If they aren't getting power, you'll get 4th gear in (D), 3rd in (3), and 1st in (1-2). Next thing to check if the power looks good, is to measure C14, C15, and C16 individually to ground. These are the shift solenoids and should be 11-16 ohms as I recall. If way off from that, you might have a bad solenoid or damaged wiring.

Yeah, I had already checked the power, and it was checked out fine. It was right around Battery voltage.

I already tried checking C14-16, but I don't think I did it right. I need to try again tomorrow when it's daylight again.

I scabbed the voltmeter from work, so I have to get used to using it.

Thanks again everyone for all the help!

Back