• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do other GM steering columns work, or just XJ columns?

bigalpha

Working on rebuilding a steering column but need more carcasses for parts. Is the XJ column the only one that works in the XJ? I know you can salvage parts from columns in other GM cars but does the XJ require an XJ column?

Also, How tf do you get the actual shaft out of the column?

I don't know the answer, but I can tell you then answer is going to require that you be clear about what year (or at least era) of XJ you are dealing with.

I'm gonna guess that 92 in your signature.

To the best of my knowledge only the column housing itself is XJ MJ specific. The firewall mounting flange is welded onto them, some other models it is bolted on or is a different welded on unit. Almost all the guts and attachments are pretty standard or at least apply to a few models and years.

Here are two pics of my present dilemma:

https://i.imgur.com/EXOxCM5.jpg

In red is the bracket that holds the column tilt together, and in yellow are the ears that bracket sits behind. The tab of the right ear has broken off.
https://i.imgur.com/Hu3iKNu.jpg

Wondering if I can find these internals in a non-XJ and essentially rebuild this portion of the column. Finding a whole column around me feels nearly impossible.

I think I saw a '91 column in the JY today. It would have been tan in color. It would probably also come with the challenge of a lock cylinder for which it doesn't have a key. But I expect I could pull it fairly easily--the steering gear box was already removed. I did not note if it is a tilt column or not. Don't know if that matters.

As to getting it to you, I can get it to SoCal. If you can parts train it from SoCal to AZ it might not require any shipping.

Where are you located? There's a 93 at the Phoenix P-n-P.

I think I saw a '91 column in the JY today. It would have been tan in color. It would probably also come with the challenge of a lock cylinder for which it doesn't have a key. But I expect I could pull it fairly easily--the steering gear box was already removed. I did not note if it is a tilt column or not. Don't know if that matters.

As to getting it to you, I can get it to SoCal. If you can parts train it from SoCal to AZ it might not require any shipping.

I have enough parts to fill in any gaps, except I gotta have that tilt. Thanks for the lookout!

The parts that appear to be broken in yours are likely the same on any similar era GM Saginaw column if you haven't found anything yet. I'm a thousand miles away or I'd grab some parts for you.

I'm far enough down into the column that I'm not sure exactly how the rest of it comes apart, and the broken piece is like the inside structural ring thing part (idk the fucking name).

Back