• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE with XJ Ft. DS, but which one?

I tried to put a zj shaft in the front of my xj and it wouldnt fit...it was bout 1.5" too long...I have one on the rear of my xj for my sye...it measures about 35.5 from u joint to u joint where the xj is only 34

red_01_xj said:
I tried to put a zj shaft in the front of my xj and it wouldnt fit...it was bout 1.5" too long...I have one on the rear of my xj for my sye...it measures about 35.5 from u joint to u joint where the xj is only 34

I will never claim to have seen it all, but you are the only one I have come across to make such a statement. Using a front shaft is a very common mod. Plenty of folks with AX-15 would love to do this mod, but can't find a long enough shaft. Plenty of people on this board use a ZJ front shaft. I have never heard mention that a ZJ shaft is longer than a XJ. This subject comes up monthly. If it were true, it would not be a secret. The only way I would believe you is if you took a picture with a tape measure from center of the joint to the center of the last joint. If it was 32.5 inches after subtracting the slip, I would be more than happy to proclaim to all I am wrong. I'm not calling you a liar, it is just that something has to be off here.

So at what point does the spline length become important? Im curious about using a front shaft, but how much lift will somthing like that take before its obsolete??

Well, when the rear flexes out, it is pulled forward, so the DS compresses. When the suspension stuffs, the angle decreases, so again it compresses. I would say as a rough estimate, the front DS is good from about 3" to 6" of lift. (Well, with a D44 rear end which has a longer pinion)

so i assume its safe to say that the front shaft will still fit fine with no real problems with the d44 and automatic with about 4.5 inches lift?

"A full size old Bronco has a rear double cardan 1310 shaft. I have only seen one and it was in bad shape. They are 15-20 years old."

are you saying that a bronco shaft would work? if you're talking late 70's stuff, they're all over the place, a buddy of mine has got two just laying around, and joints are like $12 a pop. the cv section is in good shape or can be rebuilt, just ask the guy at the local parts shop for a neapco book, close to the back.... i also have the pieces to a late 70's ford rear shaft, which uses the same joints (dude cut it in half on a rock, d/s dont make good skidplates) it would be easy to get a custom length on that, just find you some tube, hack off the ends on a lathe, and weld in the new section to length. then, have ur local shop balance it for you.....

Last edited:
I've read several different times where people said they were using a ZJ front shaft with a AX15 manual (w/ 8.25 or 44 rears) or a D35 (w/ AW4 auto) because of the extra 1.5" it has, since the XJ auto front shaft was to small for their measurements.

Like someone said earlier the C8.25 output is about 2" further forward than the D35. And thats why alot of time everyone says that the front XJ shaft conversion only works on AW4 and C8.25 applications.

The D44 and C8.25 are very close to the same in relation to yoke output.

hope this helps....

96CheroKeeClassik said:
I've read several different times where people said they were using a ZJ front shaft with a AX15 manual (w/ 8.25 or 44 rears) or a D35 (w/ AW4 auto) because of the extra 1.5" it has, since the XJ auto front shaft was to small for their measurements.
Thanks for backing me on this...Ill try to take some measurements if and when I take the shaft out.

For the tiny little 4.5-6" lift, skip the Double cardan shaft, and use a 84-86 Xj front shaft. I have a front shaft from a '86 on the rear of my '88 with a '96 AX-15, and NP231 w/SYE.

I had a 1986 Waggy 2.8v6 with an auto tranny, np207 t-case, and no Double cardan front shaft.

Stock ??? Who knows?

Powerman said:
ZJ drive shafts are not longer that XJs. A ZJ front DS from an auto is the exact same as a XJ front DS from an auto. They are the same part # too IIRC.

According to the factory parts catalog for 94-96 the XJ and ZJ have different part numbers for the front drive shaft:

http://www.stoneattic.com/jeep/dshaft.pdf

Now if someone can verify what the length difference is....

I know with my 95 with 4.0, AX-15, 4.5" of lift and D44 I'll come up about 2" short using a front driveshaft from an XJ with AW4. That's based on if I hack & tap my 242.

96CheroKeeClassik said:

Like someone said earlier the C8.25 output is about 2" further forward than the D35. And thats why alot of time everyone says that the front XJ shaft conversion only works on AW4 and C8.25 applications.

The D44 and C8.25 are very close to the same in relation to yoke output.

hope this helps....

Not true. I put my SYE and my front shaft on my D35. Then I swapped in my D44. The front shaft was more than adequate for both. Maybe 3/4 difference on the slip. I have about 1.25-1.5 of slip showing on my shaft now.

Again I don't claim to know all, I would just hink that this horse has been beat so much, that something like the ZJ being longer than a XJ would be common knowledge. Aw hell let's find out....

Anybody know the yoke length of a 9" compared to a d44 or 8.25 of the top of their heads?

As far as making driveshafts yourself, not that bad. Tractor supply prolly has cheap square shafts that could work also.
Scott

I bought this DS from a guy w/a 5.9 Limited, but it doesn't look right:

CIMG1128.JPG

Are the 5.9 front DS's not compatible or did he send me the wrong thing?

no they are not compatable...check on the other forms they seem to sell pretty quick

Back