• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swamp Lake trip July27-29

Many years there is a small group that goes in late Fri or Sat morning. You might get some takers. Trail is not hard, based on equipment. But, it's all based on equipment and experience. From my perspective, with two lockers on 33's it's easy.

A small group is likely to get to the lake in 4 hours or less. A couple years ago I drove from Dinkey to the lake in 55 min in the buggy. That was fun. :)

Will there still be a pot luck dinner for Saturday night?

Yes, very casual, we'll throw out what we have.

There is a small group leaving from Bakersfield Fri afternoon. I don't know how soon you'll get on the road and if it's possible to hook up with them.

Here's directions to the trailhead, from the south, which is the way we'll be running it. Follow the directions I posted earlier to where we'll be camping Thurs night. When you turn off the highway at road 10S36, you should see a few trucks and trailers in the trees, which is where we camped. Continue on road 10S36 for a few miles, passing some logging roads, until you come to a road to the right with a forest service gate, which will be open, turn right on this road. Turn right through the gate and go for another few miles (could be 3-5 miles, hard to say) until you come to a road going to the left that also has a gate, which will be open. Turn left through the gate and this is the start of the trail, continue for 6-7 miles until you reach our camp at Grouse Lake. If you get on 10S36 and go to the first gate and turn right, then go to the first gate and turn left, you can't miss it. Enjoy the drive.

Planning on going Friday evening providing I get off work on time, 3:30pm... If not I'll show up Saturday AM.

See you up there. If you can leave Visalia around 3:30, I'd just keep going and drive in Fri night. You might finish in the dark, but driving by yourself you might get there in daylight. Worst case if something happens you have your camping gear. There will be other people running the trail, so you're not totally out there by yourself.

See you there.

See you up there. If you can leave Visalia around 3:30, I'd just keep going and drive in Fri night. You might finish in the dark, but driving by yourself you might get there in daylight. Worst case if something happens you have your camping gear. There will be other people running the trail, so you're not totally out there by yourself.

See you there.

I'm hoping everything goes to plan and I can get off work on time. See you there!

Well, David is on his way. I've gotten used to watching people drive off in my jeep, but its still a little weird to watch someone tow it off with my tow rig.

2012-07-26_13-06-15_507.jpg

Well, David is on his way. I've gotten used to watching people drive off in my jeep, but its still a little weird to watch someone tow it off with my tow rig.

2012-07-26_13-06-15_507.jpg

Well, it's off the trail in one piece. :)

finally back and at work....I'll have this trip story to tell for years....

Awesome trip. Glad to see you guys made it home ok. We got home about 1am. A long, but fun day of wheeling. That is an awesome trail... I would like to do it without 5000lbs on my roof rack! Were you guys able to get the tow rig running? And has anyone heard from the couple in the red XJ that left their rig on the trail?

Awesome trip. Glad to see you guys made it home ok. We got home about 1am. A long, but fun day of wheeling. That is an awesome trail... I would like to do it without 5000lbs on my roof rack! Were you guys able to get the tow rig running? And has anyone heard from the couple in the red XJ that left their rig on the trail?

It was an awesome trip!

We got home at 6:30 this morning......

After two hours and lots of persistance, we got the truck running....that SUCKED!

On the way back we had a blowout on one of the rigs too.

Anthony and Jessica walked out and had their folks grab them. They are coordinating a rescue effort of saturday morning.

It was an awesome trip!

We got home at 6:30 this morning......

After two hours and lots of persistance, we got the truck running....that SUCKED!

On the way back we had a blowout on one of the rigs too.

Anthony and Jessica walked out and had their folks grab them. They are coordinating a rescue effort of saturday morning.

6:30!!! Chit, That sucks... I hope you have today off!
That sucks for Anthony & Jessica. I hope they got a ride part of the way out. That's a long walk!

6:30!!! Chit, That sucks... I hope you have today off!
That sucks for Anthony & Jessica. I hope they got a ride part of the way out. That's a long walk!

I am here at work..... :doh:

Dunno if they did. I found out at 2am so I will call later...I assumed someone would have grabbed them.

Boy am I glad I took Friday and Monday off for this trip. Sebastian and I got home at about 7:40 am after picking up a little sleep on the side of the road in Visalia. The last hour of my drive was real tough with the traffic and my sleep deprivation. I came home, took a shower, and passed out.

I'll have to post some photos up later on today but I have a few things to do first.

I'm in chicago right now. Had a grand total of 90 minutes at Cal's to unpack, and grab a shower before going to the airport. Talk about cutting it close!

David Bricker / SYR

I'm in chicago right now. Had a grand total of 90 minutes at Cal's to unpack, and grab a shower before going to the airport. Talk about cutting it close!

David Bricker / SYR

Why'd you need a shower?

:D

Back