• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swamp Lake trip July27-29

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Always a great trip. This will be the 18th annual Swamp Lake run. Swamp Lake Trail is 14 miles long and is easy to moderate rock crawling and great scenery. Leave Dinkey Creek at 8:30 Fri morning, run the trail in to Grouse Lake, camp next to the lake Fri night and Sat night, drive out and finish the trail on Sunday. We'll camp at Dinkey Creek Thurs night, which is about 15 minutes from Shaver Lake, which is east of Fresno. No camping or other costs for the trip. We camp at Grouse Lake which is about 9200' elevation.

If you like wheeling in the mountains and camping in beautiful places, you'll enjoy this trip. It's the Sierra's, quite a step up in scenery from the socal mountains. It's also a lot closer than the Rubicon if you want a great long weekend of wheeling and camping.

Anyone is welcome. Should have at least one locker and rock rails. With tires larger than 33's steering and front axles should be upgraded. This is a very casual trip. If folks are interested in going I'll post up directions to where we'll camp Thurs night.

I'm in.

David Bricker / SYR

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Man you sure are lucky to have that close by.. I would love to be a part of that.. do some wheeling with a bunch of great people, do some fishing from the looks if it too!! If I get my jeepspeed sold in time, there could be a chance that this san diego guy road trips it!!

Man you sure are lucky to have that close by.. I would love to be a part of that.. do some wheeling with a bunch of great people, do some fishing from the looks if it too!! If I get my jeepspeed sold in time, there could be a chance that this san diego guy road trips it!!

Is the JS 4wd?

I think Eric Filar drove his a couple of years ago.

Wish I could make it, too many things conspiring against me.

For the newbie in the crowd, what kind of temps should be expected day and night? Should I be bringing the down sleeping bag, jacket and thermals? I realize temps will vary based on the weather, but I'm guessing daytime in the 60-70s and nights in the 30-40s?

David Bricker / SYR

For the newbie in the crowd, what kind of temps should be expected day and night? Should I be bringing the down sleeping bag, jacket and thermals? I realize temps will vary based on the weather, but I'm guessing daytime in the 60-70s and nights in the 30-40s?

David Bricker / SYR

70s day and was 40s nights last time I was there.

70s day and was 40s nights last time I was there.

Thanks, Cracker. Sounds like I can leave the down bag rated to -20 at home.

David Bricker / SYR

While not usually, it can hit freezing temps at night. I'd figure 30-80 is possible.

Here are directions to where we'll be camping Thurs night. We camp at Dinkey Creek, but not in the campground, so there are no fees. We'll leave for the trail from our camp area at 8:30 on Friday morning. We'll run half the trail on Fri and we usually get to Grouse Lake by early to mid afternoon. We'll leave Grouse Lake mid morning on Sunday and finish the trail. There will be a pot luck dinner on Sat night.

Here's directions: Take Hwy 168 from Fresno east about an hour to Shaver Lake. As you are coming into the town of Shaver Lake make a right turn onto Dinkey Creek Rd, where there is a sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reservoirs. Go about 12-15 miles on Dinkey Creek Rd and look for another sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reservoirs, and make a right turn at the sign onto McKinley Grove Rd. You'll immediately cross the bridge over Dinkey Creek then go about a 1/4 mile and you'll see two roads that go to the left, one cuts back sharply and goes to Camp Fresno, and the other one is 10S36, make a left turn onto 10S36 and immediately turn into the trees on the right, which will be our camp.

The best place to gas up, if you're not towing, is in Prather at the bottom of the big grade going up to Shaver, or at the station in Shaver Lake. There is gas at the Dinkey Creek store but it's expensive. There are showers at the Dinkey Creek store, a little cafe, and ice. You can top off your ice in the morning if you need to. We could use some firewood at camp Thurs evening, and it never hurts to have some firewood at Grouse Lake since the firewood can be scarce from regular use. There is a decent outhouse at the camp at Grouse Lake.

Man, I'd like to make this but I cant take off Friday 3(

Planning on heading up Friday afternoon after work, never been up there. How difficult is the trail to get from dinkey to grouse lake??

Planning on heading up Friday afternoon after work, never been up there. How difficult is the trail to get from dinkey to grouse lake??

Trail is not difficult. Very scenic though. If I were to guess, I would say deep creek would be similar in difficulty.

Get a map and map it all out.

Back