• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SUV Rental in Portland,OR

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
So my 3 sisters, mother and I came to Oregon for my grandma's funeral.... not trying to get home our flights have been cancelled 3 different times with 2 different airlines... now we're thinking of driving home but can't find anywhere that has an SUV with 4-wheel drive...

Anyone know where we could rent one? We're trying to get to Boise... we'd even pay someone to get us home!!!

As of right now Southwest probably couldn't get us home till Christmas Eve or Christmas day...

Anyone got any help for the Portland area for a good car rental place that would have a suitable vehicle for 5 people + luggage?

How much are you willing to spend? Just buy a cheap XJ and drive it home, sell it when you get there (or better yet, keep it). Probably cheaper in the long run than renting something.

-----Matt-----

P.S. My Dad did this once trying to get home for Christmas because all the flights were cancelled. Ended up with a '67 Olds Delmont 88 (white with olive green interior) with a 455 ci 4-bbl BB; we had the car for years and is always a great story.

I got nothing for you, legal anyway. The freeway heading out the Gorge is closed anyway. You will have to head over Hood or down to Bend and out that way. Sorry I can't be of more help. What rental companies have you reied so far?

On traffic.com I did a trip report thing, since the Gorge is so messed up it says we can go down towards Warm Springs Indian Reservation and get on to I84 again after the Dalles.

We've called Alamo, International, Hertz, Dollar, Budget, Avis, Thrifty...

Yes. take hwy 26 east to madras, then 97 north to biggs junction then i-84east

If you have the money, you can get home. if your serious, pick up a jeep off craigs for $1500 in the morning, you should be home by tuesday morning.

Sell the jeep off for the $1500 and you essentially just lose the fuel costs. but you'r home before christmas!

We've got a Dodge Caravan we're renting and are gonna put chains on. We're gonna drive probably about 10mph or so... depending on conditions. If we have issues my bro in-law said he'd drive up from Boise in his Tundra to help get us back.

Hopefully the weather and roads are nice to us though...

Are there any hotels along Highway 26 in case we need to stay over night? We're hoping we can at least make it to Pendleton tomorrow. We're planning on leaving Portland around 10.

Well good luck and drive safe out there. Watch out for D-Heads Effin' around on them icy and snow covered roads. Hope your Caravan holds up for you.

-PJ-

You need to understand something,
between mt.hood and madras, there is nothing!
between madras and Biggs junction, there is nothing!
between Biggs junction and pendleton, there is nothing.
Between Pendleton and the idaho border there is (pretty much) Nothing!

and In the few towns i have named, there will be VERY LITTLE open for business.
your going to deal with ALOT of snow.
I strongly advise buying shovels/bags of salt and kitty litter/LOTS of Food and drinks.
Take alot of blankets. PLAN FOR THE WORSE, i dont believe you will have many issues, but spend the extra $50 and GO PREPARED

p.s. can i hitch a ride? sounds fun!

p.s.s. wait.. is hwy 35 open? thats alot quicker.. but where is i84 re-opened?

84 reopens in hood river, 36 I have no clue about.

Well, we're in Portland another day... checking rentals again for SUV's. We've got our hotel room booked another night and we're checking to see if there will be an opening for passing through on I-84. My ma doesn't wanna take the other route as there isn't much there in case we get caught up in the weather and can't go on...

So we're planning on sitting it out for now... We've got flights with Southwest on Christmas day... but we're hoping we can get out prior to that.

You need to understand something,
between mt.hood and madras, there is nothing!
between madras and Biggs junction, there is nothing!
between Biggs junction and pendleton, there is nothing.
Between Pendleton and the idaho border there is (pretty much) Nothing!

and In the few towns i have named, there will be VERY LITTLE open for business.
your going to deal with ALOT of snow.
I strongly advise buying shovels/bags of salt and kitty litter/LOTS of Food and drinks.
Take alot of blankets. PLAN FOR THE WORSE, i dont believe you will have many issues, but spend the extra $50 and GO PREPARED

p.s. can i hitch a ride? sounds fun!

p.s.s. wait.. is hwy 35 open? thats alot quicker.. but where is i84 re-opened?

" Between Pendleton and the idaho border there is (pretty much) Nothing "

Isn't there a nasty climb just South of Pendleton? I've only driven that route from Boise North but I seem to remember a long steep hill just South of Pendelton.

You must be thinking of cabbage hill. It can definitely get pretty crazy in the snow. Last time we drove that route there wasn't even half this much snow and it was plenty dangerous

I've been driving a rental Ford Explorer for like 5 weeks now.

I waited two weeks for them to try to get me one without warped rotors, belt squeal and an oil change light on. There was nothing in the entire city so I ended up taking my xmas trip in that one.

Moral of the story, every SUV in PDX is rented out.

Back