• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAXJA's members' home catches fire

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA's Treasurer, lobsterdmb (AKA John Bergacs) home was recently destroyed by fire. John had posted the following in the BOD forum, after informing us he would be tied up for a while. I'm not a real good story teller when it comes to typing stuff out so I'll let John tell it.

lobsterdmb said:
First of all, I would like to say a great big thank you to everyone for their support. Now the story of what happened:

On Saturday Night at approximately 9:30pm, my Fiancé, Melissa (a fellow :NAXJA: member: Ms. Lobsterdmb) and myself were arriving home from dinner with my parents in my truck. Melissa noticed something flickering off to the side of us and asked me to pull forward so we could see what it was. We immediately saw the bedroom of the condo above ours fully engulfed in flames. I immediately put my truck in park and jumped out running toward the door of that condo while dialing 911 at the same time. Melissa also began dialing 911 but stayed in the truck. I began banging on the door of the condo yelling fire. A young girl answered. I grabbed her and pushed her out the door. I then asked if anyone else was inside and she said one other person. I ran up the steps into the condo to find a young male at the top of the steps who proceeded to run back into the condo. The entire condo was filled with smoke and the room was hot, but I saw no fire. I grabbed him as he started to run away and dragged him down the steps and out of the condo. I then ran and banged on every other door in the building. I then jumped back in my truck to move it out of the way for the fire trucks I knew would soon be arriving. I then proceeded to enter my own condo (which was filled with smoke) with Melissa. We grabbed essentials like our computers and important papers (I even grabbed the :NAXJA: treasury stuff as well as my First Aid Squad treasury stuff). We quickly exited and backed away from the building. The window to the bedroom containing the fire exploded at this time. The fire department arrived a few moments afterwords. Fifty firemen from 6 different departments worked on scene. The fire wasn't under control for 2 hours and completely out in about 3-4 hours. In the meantime, I was transported to the ER in which I work as a RN (which happens to be the State Burn Center). I was treated for smoke inhalation. Melissa refused to go to the ER. The roof of our building is gone. Our condo sustained heavy water and smoke damage. We also have debris everywhere from the ceilings being pulled down. Our condo is pretty much a total loss. It will have to be gutted and completely redone. All our appliances and furniture will have to be replaced. We are working with our insurance company but no work can begin until the building exterior is fixed by the condo association. We are currently staying with family but have found an apartment as of January 1st. Our insurance will be paying for our temporary housing. We managed to salvage most of our clothes. The fireman did some incredible things. They took Melissa's diplomas and some pictures off the walls, placed them in the kitchen (the furthest point from the fire) and then covered them with a garment bag from our closet. We also found some pictures off the walls which they had placed in our dryer to protect them. They helped us carry anything out we were trying to salvage. The dug through debris to find jewelry for us and to allow us to open some lower drawers in our dressers. Some of the things we lost includes all our shoes, some pictures, all our dishes, etc. We are trying at this time just to piece our lives back together and get the essentials we need. Melissa is going back to work tomorrow, and I don't have to go back until Saturday.

Once again, thank you all for your support.

I think most of you will agree, It's always bad when stuff like this happens, especially at Christmas time. I know things are tight at Christmas time for most of us. Now, imagine that on top of having your home catch fire. Not good. I plan to help out the best way I know how to from 900 miles away.

I have obtained Johns PayPal address. I can't afford to send as much as I'd like, but I'll send what I can, and I encourage you to do the same. Big or small, it does not matter. I know if I was in his situation, I'd want as much help as I could get and I'm sure most of you would be the same.

John's PayPal address is: [email protected]

Thanks guys, I know John appreciates it.

Haleyes said:
NAXJA's Treasurer, lobsterdmb (AKA John Bergacs) home was recently destroyed by fire. John had posted the following in the BOD forum, after informing us he would be tied up for a while. I'm not a real good story teller when it comes to typing stuff out so I'll let John tell it.

I think most of you will agree, It's always bad when stuff like this happens, especially at Christmas time. I know things are tight at Christmas time for most of us. Now, imagine that on top of having your home catch fire. Not good. I plan to help out the best way I know how to from 900 miles away.

I have obtained Johns PayPal address. I can't afford to send as much as I'd like, but I'll send what I can, and I encourage you to do the same. Big or small, it does not matter. I know if I was in his situation, I'd want as much help as I could get and I'm sure most of you would be the same.

John's PayPal address is: [email protected]

Thanks guys, I know John appreciates it.
X2

That sucks, especially at Christmas. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his fiance.

Lets take care of our fellow NAXJA member. I'm sure we're going to step up to the plate and least make their holidays somewhat enjoyable.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

The entire condo was filled with smoke and the room was hot, but I saw no fire. I grabbed him as he started to run away and dragged him down the steps and out of the condo. I then ran and banged on every other door in the building. ... I then proceeded to enter my own condo (which was filled with smoke) with Melissa.

My sympathy about the fire and the loss of some of your posessions.
It sounds as though he has the bases covered. Temporary housing, new housing after Jan 1st, insurance claims started. Some folks are not that fortunate.

Could have been worse, much worse :doh:

Zuki-Ron said:
My sympathy about the fire and the loss of some of your posessions.
It sounds as though he has the bases covered. Temporary housing, new housing after Jan 1st, insurance claims started. Some folks are not that fortunate.

Could have been worse, much worse :doh:

Merry Christmas Ron.

Can we start a donation thread for them? I have some clothes/shoes I would like to donate. If they can list their sizes I would like to send some stuff from my girlfriend and I. I don't have much money to spare but I do have alot of clothes and other misc. utensiles, pots and pans, etc.etc. Please keep us posted, Thanks-Kelvin

im gonna send them the leftoer funds i have in paypal. they are in my thoughts, i wish them luck with getting their lives back together

I must be a dumbass, but I can't get the paypal link to work :( is there another way? And anybody that puts the safety of someone else above their own deserves to be called Mister in my book. (that is a real old school compliment:) )

Last edited:
MudDawg said:
I must be a dumbass, but I can't get the paypal link to work :( is there another way? And anybody that puts the safety of someone else above their own deserves to be called Mister in my book. (that is a real old school compliment:) )
You have to go to paypal's site and enter the reciepent as [email protected]

You can't click the link for the addy, it will likely just take you to your email.

HTH

Hale

Thanks man, I'll try that....LOL I never used PayPal before....Damn I'm Old School...

Money sent, not much... but Its something

Merry Christmas guys

Zac

Sent what I could at the moment, it's not much at all but I know every little bit helps in a situation like this.

Merry Christmas ya'll!
18.gif

I sent as much as I had in my paypal, again not much but glad to help in any way. Like everyone else said, if there's anything else you need, don't hesitate to let us know.... Happy Holidays and Good Luck :)

Back