• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

subwoofer cubby enclosure question

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, you guys that have built the "cubby" enclosure for a subwoofer. Do you have a rough estimation of what your total volume was? I am going to build one and need to make it around 1.25 ft^3

TIA

I have the SubThump box in the 10" flavor, the volume is small, but paired with a Rockford shallow mount sub and a bunch of polyfill stuffed in the box it still hits nice for a low power setup.

I installed this one yesterday with a 8" Sound Ordnance sub and mono-block amp:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_663XJPOD/Select-Increments-XJ-Pod.html

Sounds great, much better than I expected from a 8" sub.:thumbup:

The more time I spend in my Jeep with the 8" sub, the more I wish it were a bigger sub. I have a 210-watt RMS single channel Sound Ordnance amp (1350 model) powering the 8" Sound Ordnance SVC sub. So I don't think power is the issue. I have also spent time tuning the amp and Alpine head-unit to provide the best sound. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good and provides some bass and kick/punch (sealed enclosure). But it doesn't provide that real deep booming bass (it's an 8" sub in a sealed enclosure).

The thing I don't like about the 10" enclosures that fit into the cubby hole is they appear to require cutting the plastic interior panel. I didn't want to do that, nor did I want to lose ANY space in the back. So, for my requirements, what I have is a good choice.

I just wanted to share that in case the person who started this thread is debating which direction to go in terms of sub size.

:cheers:

I'm happy with my 8" sound ordnance B-8PTD. AMP and speaker are self contained and sit on the floor behind the passenger seat. It provides very good fill, but is not going to win any competitions. 3 year warranty and you can't beat Crutchfield's customer service. Amp is 125 watts.

The more time I spend in my Jeep with the 8" sub, the more I wish it were a bigger sub. I have a 210-watt RMS single channel Sound Ordnance amp (1350 model) powering the 8" Sound Ordnance SVC sub. So I don't think power is the issue. I have also spent time tuning the amp and Alpine head-unit to provide the best sound. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good and provides some bass and kick/punch (sealed enclosure). But it doesn't provide that real deep booming bass (it's an 8" sub in a sealed enclosure).

The thing I don't like about the 10" enclosures that fit into the cubby hole is they appear to require cutting the plastic interior panel. I didn't want to do that, nor did I want to lose ANY space in the back. So, for my requirements, what I have is a good choice.

I just wanted to share that in case the person who started this thread is debating which direction to go in terms of sub size.

:cheers:

Just stepped up to the Kicker CompR 8" Dual Voice Coil (DVC) sub and it is providing the lower frequencies that the SVC 8" S.O. sub was not. Now I am very happy with my setup! DVC is definitely the way to go, as it allows the amp to put out more watts because the sub is showing lower resistance (went from 4 ohm load to a 2 ohm load due to the dual voice coils being wired in parallel). I went from 210W to 350W amp output. Low frequency reproduction requires a lot of power; the more the better.

Back