• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Subs

Unless you've got the crankdriven sub from mythbusters and the body parts are held by glue and the occasional ziptie.

XJhabitat said:
the amp will kick your alternators ass

X2. Even with a capacitor, it still can kill the alt......especially the stock ones.

I plan to upgrade my alt very very soon, for this reason. That and, i'd like to add some more lights, and i'm afraid it's going to be too much for the stock unit to handle.

When I upgrade my alt. do I have to redo other things?

So it's not going to hurt my hatch or the hatch window?

Depends on the sub, you need to put more details. Ive seen hatch glass breakage detectors sold at circuit city so im sure it happens, it just depends on if ur putting in walmart subs like me or competition subs like some people.

Prowler, you can run a solid 500 - 700 watt amp without having to wonder about your electrical system. Now this is a true 500 to 700 watt system and will be determined by the amp that you purchase - above that i would suggest a 1 farad cap to help the load/ strain that it puts on the overall 12 volt system - what are you planning on running? what year xj? i have been installing car audio stuff for a few years and have run a JL 1000x2 at 4 ohms on my 99 xj with 2 15 inch mtx subs for 6 months then added a 1.5 farad cap

anyways good luck and the only thing i had rattle off was my rear view mirror - it was a lot of bass and i was going through the bass phase

A Duel 580watt amp with 2 12inch duel subs. (The subs were the 150 dollar ones box and and speaker at Best Buy)
The Amp was bought seperate, not sure of the quality.

I bought these off a friend for only 100 all together and when it comes to sound and sterioes, I only know how to turn them on.

sure these will be fine - if you happen to have extra lights, dvd, etc i would opt for a capacitor with a digital display to make sure you have proper voltage - if not you can use 8 gauge wire but i would reccomend 4 gauge to be safe and in case you want to upgrade later

are you installing these yourself>?

remember - run the rca's opposite of the power cable and remote turn on - most people will keep the rca's on the other side of the exhaust which is run on the passenger side - this will keep the intererence down and any excessive noise from the audio signal

make sure your rca's are well insulated - not just a/v cables those these will work but you will see car audio rca's are much thicker

keep the ground as short as possible usually no more than 16 inches if possible

good luck - and make sure all your connections are solid and that your subs are tied down somehow in case you are in a wreck, joyridin' etc

installing speakers and subs in an xj are about as easy as it gets - simple plastic trim and plenty of room for cables etc - it should be easy for a newbie to make a clean install

i am done

ahhh...LOL they are already in and I am ashamed to say I took the easy way out. I just handed over my debit card. And all that rca stuff is over my head lol. Thanks for the help though.

What is rca? Maybe this will be a good learning experiance for me.

Back