• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck in 4WD!

TortureTested

NAXJA Forum User
I have no idea how this happens, but after i put it in 4WD it takes forever to get it 2 disengage! Can anyone give me some way to get her back 2 2WD?????

probably needs the linkages that go to the transfer case adjusted. might wanna give a little more info as to your tranny, transfercase, and describe the problem in a little more detail as to exactly what and when you are feeling this. but in the mean time while you wait for responses, try searching and i'm sure you'll find lots of useful info as this topic has been up several times. good luck

after putting it in to 4wd, shift the tranny in neutral, then shift to 2wd shift it in reverse and drive backwards 10-20' then shift to drive and you should be in 2wd. this happend to me once so now thats what I do.also check linkige and fluid leavels. this happend to me like 4 years ago when it was stock. Now It's 8" higher and no more stucky in 4wd

PS: I have a 96 XJ with a 4.0 auto what you got?

Last edited:
Ive tried the reverse method every which way possible,, ive tried shifting in neutral and in park,, ive checked the linkage and its fine,, & i had the jeep serviced from top to bottom just last year. Im at a loss for how this is possible and what to do!!!

It may sound silly but make sure you have even pressure in all tires. One very low tire can cause the same effect as mismatched tires or trying to shift out of 4wd when you are turning. Binding will occur and make it shift hard from 4wd to 2wd but not 2wd to 4wd because there is no binding possible shifting 2wd to 4wd.

Hope that made some sence. :)

95 sport w/242 TC auto. Chrysler 8.25 rear, D30 front, 27 spline, 355 (all stock). Has about 115,000 MI & all service work from bumper to bumper is 100%
Anything else?

I also have the 242 T-case and I often switch between 2wd, Full Time and Part Time. One method that I have found to be very effective on my rig is, when shifting back into 2wd make sure the front wheels are pointed straight ahead and goose the gas pedal then while letting off the pedal simultaneously shift into neutral, repeat if neccesary. This always works for me when I have to turn around in a tight area, which is bad in Part Time.

are you having trouble getting the lever to move into 2wd, or is the lever moving ok but its not shifting out of 4wd? a couple of times i have dug coins and such out of the shifter compartment on fellow xj'ers rigs that was preventing the shifter from moving freely. if your having trouble moving the shifter, tear down into the console and have a look. you'd be suprised what can find its way down in there.

Had a co-worker with a similar problem on her Grand Cherokee (same t-case). Ended up being a bad linkage from the shifter to the t-case. Might be worth re-checking...

And ?????????

What fixed it?

i dont know. I started her up, put it in 2wd, and backed up, then went foward, then backed up again in my 30 foot driveway and it just went right in 2wd! I did this a hundred times the other day and nothing! Maybe i have to shut her down, let it sit and then go back and try it again. (i think).

Back