• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock chyco 8.25 weak points...

emr1101 said:
(Notice no one answered my question as to if i could do this myself :]), . . . i might just skip it or grab a Powertrax no-slip...
One of the first things I did to my 2 wheel driver was install a "PowerTrax Limited Slip" long before I headed off road. I can't even tell if a wheel if off the ground, it just keeps on going. You can probably do it your self, if I could. If you have a manual trans it might eat the tires some, but to me it's worth the security.

Rod Knee said:
Powertrax is a locker, not an LSD. That's prob why you keep going when one wheel is off the ground.

powertrax is a BRAND not a product. they're manufactured by richmond gear. the lock-rite and no-slip are both technically powertrax's.

that being said, i have a no-slip and love it.

I had an LSD on my fisrt XJ. It had: RE 4.5", 32s, 4:11s, LSD rear, and lockright front. I was relatively happy with the LSD for rock crawling and did some pretty hard trails with it plus the street mannerisms are great (although I love the locker in the rear of my YJ even on the street).

The thing about using your brakes to aid in traction is that if your LSD starts to spin one tire, you pull the e-brake enough to and resistance to that tire and this will simulate even traction to both wheels and even out the power to each one. I used this method regularly while rock crawling and it's quite effective. Don't get me wrong, it's no locker but it is cheaper and it performes better than an open diff.

Cheers!

yjkrawlerboy said:
I had an LSD on my fisrt XJ. It had: RE 4.5", 32s, 4:11s, LSD rear, and lockright front. I was relatively happy with the LSD for rock crawling and did some pretty hard trails with it plus the street mannerisms are great (although I love the locker in the rear of my YJ even on the street).

The thing about using your brakes to aid in traction is that if your LSD starts to spin one tire, you pull the e-brake enough to and resistance to that tire and this will simulate even traction to both wheels and even out the power to each one. I used this method regularly while rock crawling and it's quite effective. Don't get me wrong, it's no locker but it is cheaper and it performes better than an open diff.

Cheers!

Was this a track lock lsd?

yjkrawlerboy said:

Really? wow thats interesting. Im going with an aussie up front so even with an LSD rear in the 8.25 i should be good. locking a 8.25 would seem to be maybe a lil bit far for it to handle, at least under extreme conditions and 35" tires. When i get it geared ill probobly have them put it in at the same time to save some dough. Since the front isnt always 4wd you wont notice the aussie obviously because it wont be engaged on the street, but wat does an LSD do in terms of tire wear?

emr1101 said:
Really? wow thats interesting. Im going with an aussie up front so even with an LSD rear in the 8.25 i should be good. locking a 8.25 would seem to be maybe a lil bit far for it to handle, at least under extreme conditions and 35" tires. When i get it geared ill probobly have them put it in at the same time to save some dough. Since the front isnt always 4wd you wont notice the aussie obviously because it wont be engaged on the street, but wat does an LSD do in terms of tire wear?

The LSD shouldn't affect tire wear, it didn't with mine. I liked it but i'm going with a no-slip on my current XJ. I have lockers front and rear on my YJ. I always heard horror stories about rear lockers on the street and was reluctant to get one. I'll just say that I should have done it sooner. Sure it spins a tire when turning off a stop sign if you give it a little gas but it's not wearing them out and I only get that loud bang on the street every couple of months. Your 8.25 would handle a locker fine, just don't drive like an idiot. My YJ has 35" Krawlers on a D35 and I have only broken each side once in 5 years of pretty hard rock crawing and both times were stupid mistakes.

Cheers!

Rod Knee said:
Could you elaborate on that thought.

Thanx in advance.

Not to hijack the thread, just to answer an unanswered question... The technique he spoke of is when one tire is spinning and the other is just sitting. You lay on the brakes slightly to give the wheel with no traction some resistance, thereby sending some of the power back to the wheel that is not spinning. Useful for those with open diffs.

fwiw, i have only felt mine unload 2x. the first time was backing out of my driveway right after i installed it and turning onto the road... the second... i think i was driving carelessly and i have a manual. if you've ever felt a lock rite unload, a no-slip is nothing like it. it's so much smoother. i wouldn't hesitate to put another one in any cherokee.

in terms of strength on big tires, there are only 4.56 gears available for it (...yes, i know 4.88's are out, but they're super expensive...) so unless you have a manual, you probably won't have enough gearing to run larger than 33's or so. i'm going to be putting on 34" LTB's soon as wheeling rubber and 33" AT's as DD rubber on 4.56 with my ax-15. food for thought.

winkosmosis said:
Anyone have a link to a Powertrax LSD for the 8.25??
Here you go; http://www.powertrax.com/powertrax/noslip.html

Clarification; When I bought mine they were called a "Limited Slip", they're not. They are a locker like the Aussie with a few extra springs to smooth out the engagement. Mine chirps the tires if I give it any gas around a corner. It's been known to "POP!" and shake the car when unloading.

From the web site; "The POWERTRAX® TRACTION SYSTEMS are the latest design in traction adding differential technology. It combines the smooth operation of a limited-slip differential, with the traction performance of a locking differential.
A precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other locking differentials. Special gear and spring design reduce the backlash and therefore driveline windup."

They lie, but I like it.

Interesting...I've though about going with a powertrax no-slip in the rear for my 8.25 (that is the one that's available, right?), but i was worried about the ratcheting and unloading. Is it really that bad? When does it "unload"?

Wait, so the Truetrac doesn't use clutches, but is gear based? Does that mean it has nothing to wear out? Looks like it's a torsen, which means it requires some force on the wheel without traction, and then multiplies that force. That means that the braking trick would create a lot more torque on the wheel with grip.

And according to this website the lunchbox lockers like the Aussie don't lock the tires together, but in a turn they drive the inside wheel while allowing the outside wheel to freewheel?

JNickel101 said:
Interesting...I've though about going with a powertrax no-slip in the rear for my 8.25 (that is the one that's available, right?), but i was worried about the ratcheting and unloading. Is it really that bad? When does it "unload"?

I don't have experience with the no-slip but that is what I am getting for mine. I was always worried about the "streetability" of a locker but not after having one in my YJ. it's a lunchbox and it doesn't EVER ratchet. When it "unloads" (which is every few months) it just makes a loud bang sound and feels a little squirrely for a sec. No big deal! I hear that the no-slip doesn't do that but who knows. I'll get it anyway.

Cheers!

I had a No-Slip in my 8.25 and it was very smooth. No ratcheting, no unloading. Just a very occasional pop. And it was in my daily driver for several years.

Now I have a Dana 44 with Detroit Locker. And even that is very smooth on the street.

so its settled that the no-slip by powertrax is NOT a limited slip, but simply a locker that doesnt "ratchet", instead it just "unloads" when it needs to, i guess thats why its "no slip" because its either in or out, no searching for it to see if it should go in, thus if i did lock my rear id probobly get the no-slip instead of wait for an Aussie/lock rite (same thing basically) for the rear, because ratcheting would suck.

What is this tru track you speak of??????????

have i mentioned enough that I HAVE A NO SLIP. it will only unload due to driver error or new install, from my experience. it operates much smoother and forgiving than a lock-rite.

here's a trutrac. learn to search.

DTT-Exploded-700pix.jpg

operates somewhat like an LSD but more like a locker. when it recieves torque, it will just lock up, but is a carrier replacement style locker that does not rachet. strong, simple and not that expensive for a carrier replacement locker. i plan on putting one in my D30 to go with my rear no-slip.

Back