• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock chyco 8.25 weak points...

an LSD has spider gears like an open carrier and a clutch system outside of the shaft gears, one for each shaft. i'm not 100% sure on how everything in there goes together and i'm sure it varies from design to design, but basically when the torque on the axle shaft exceeds what the clutch can hold, it breaks free and the spider gears take over. when offroading, this will happen as soon as one wheel gets stuck (the other will spin) or just plain loss of traction and it is effectively no different than an open differential. a locker doesn't care how much torque there is (up to failure) it will spin both shafts the same speed. once again, HTH

but if one is stuck wont it put all the rest of hte power to the other wheel? Either way, the percent of torque each wheel must add up to 100, but itll put more torque to which ever wheel is getting the most traction, right?

An LSD is just a regular diff with clutches between the carrier and one of the side gears. Basically when one wheel slips, it still has a maximum amount of torque that will be transferred to the other wheel. That torque is the amount of resistance the clutches give. It doesn't ever lock. Imagine filling your carrier with silly putty. Or imagine feathering your clutch-- there's only so much torque that can go through but sometimes that's enough to get you moving.

The reason I say to imagine filling the carrier with silly putty is because that's what I used on my radio control Hummer's diff. When the wheels on one side lose traction, that amount of torque that the silly putty applies is enough to move the vehicle. Obviously it's not a real truck, but the point is that you don't necessarily need a full lock to move. Come to think of it, it's pretty much equivalent because the putty is soft enough that the L/R wheels can turn at different speeds on the road, but the resistance to differential action is enough to cause it to be more tail-happy, like a sports car with a rear LSD

insanity said:
Luckley most military posts have a car craft center. So I have been lucky to beable to go to these places. There have been plenty of times where i was cutting on my jeep in the baracks parking lot using a power inverter or a really long extention cord and cought a lot of weard looks.

Back to the topic a 8.25 29 spline with some yukon shafts and a lockrite should do good off road.
There is no Lockrite for the 29-spline 8.25."

winkosmosis said:
An LSD is just a regular diff with clutches between the carrier and one of the side gears. Basically when one wheel slips, it still has a maximum amount of torque that will be transferred to the other wheel. That torque is the amount of resistance the clutches give. It doesn't ever lock. Imagine filling your carrier with silly putty. Or imagine feathering your clutch-- there's only so much torque that can go through but sometimes that's enough to get you moving.

The reason I say to imagine filling the carrier with silly putty is because that's what I used on my radio control Hummer's diff. When the wheels on one side lose traction, that amount of torque that the silly putty applies is enough to move the vehicle. Obviously it's not a real truck, but the point is that you don't necessarily need a full lock to move. Come to think of it, it's pretty much equivalent because the putty is soft enough that the L/R wheels can turn at different speeds on the road, but the resistance to differential action is enough to cause it to be more:pirate1: tail-happy, like a sports car with a rear LSD

well i mean it couldnt be that bad if its still gonna keep spinning...

Seems to me that for someone who expects to use the XJ for moderate offroading (seldom if ever putting one wheel in the air) and also for winter driving conditions, an LSD would be better than a locker, especially an auto locker. Maybe you would want to put it up front though to avoid handling issues and because, from a physics standpoint, pulling is more efficient than pushing.

emr1101 said:
well i mean it couldnt be that bad if its still gonna keep spinning...

it will keep spinning though... the amount of torque supported by the LSD is usually, depending on the situation, less than the amount of torque it would take to spin the tire. good luck either way. i don't want to sucker you into spending more $, i just personally don't see a large advantage. you can modulate the brake pedal and have the same effect... and that's free.

xjohnnyc said:
Easily preventable with a welder though.

288522842405_0_BG.jpg

And there is no c-clip eliminator kit for the 8.25. Superior was working on one, but I guess it didn't rate very high on their priority list.

Wow. That is some serious pinion angle!

The Auburn ECTED is limited slip in unlocked mode, and I've seen people say they forget to lock because they get such good traction with just the LSD. I've never had a vehicle with an LSD so I don't really know

winkosmosis said:
The Auburn ECTED is limited slip in unlocked mode, and I've seen people say they forget to lock because they get such good traction with just the LSD. I've never had a vehicle with an LSD so I don't really know

Yea i looked at those, seems like a pretty sweet way to go, but again money is an issue. I mean, if im gonna have to pay to have someone install the trac loc LSD (Notice no one answered my question as to if i could do this myself :]), and the used trac lock plus the parts for a pack-rebuild comes out to be a lot of money, who knows i might just skip it or grab a Powertrax no-slip...

emr1101 said:
Yea i looked at those, seems like a pretty sweet way to go, but again money is an issue. I mean, if im gonna have to pay to have someone install the trac loc LSD (Notice no one answered my question as to if i could do this myself :]), and the used trac lock plus the parts for a pack-rebuild comes out to be a lot of money, who knows i might just skip it or grab a Powertrax no-slip...

I think in the link I posted to the Trac Lok, they say you can install it yourself. I have no idea what exactly is involved

emr1101 said:
(Notice no one answered my question as to if i could do this myself :]),

The question is can you set up a carrier?The trac lock is a different carrier than an open carrier...you cant just buy the trac lock parts and install them into your open carrier.You will have to mess with bearing setup and such.

So the answer would be,no you probably wouldn't be able to instal a trac lock yourself if you are inexperienced in rear end work.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong......

outlander said:
The question is can you set up a carrier?The trac lock is a different carrier than an open carrier...you cant just buy the trac lock parts and install them into your open carrier.You will have to mess with bearing setup and such.

So the answer would be,no you probably wouldn't be able to instal a trac lock yourself if you are inexperienced in rear end work.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong......

Yea that seems right, i was hoping you wouldn't say that lol. Is it a weaker carrier than the stock one? Or about the same? I was thinking maybe when i get it re-geared I can just say put this in instead of the old carrier, i'm sure they wouldn't charge me too much to do that...

Back