• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel not centered

tomcat, I am a little confused on what you are saying. I understand the physics of what happens to my front axle when I lift it but the last part is what I am unsure about. What do you mean by the steering wheel is the last step that needs to be done in the alignment. When I take it in should I let them know to worry about the wheel last? Also, when you state how my toe will be off when i straighten the wheel myself and my track bar will be the least of my problems, should I just not straighten the wheel out at all until after it is aligned and what will be the major problem of doing this other then increased tire wear?

tomcat, I am a little confused on what you are saying. I understand the physics of what happens to my front axle when I lift it but the last part is what I am unsure about. What do you mean by the steering wheel is the last step that needs to be done in the alignment. When I take it in should I let them know to worry about the wheel last? Also, when you state how my toe will be off when i straighten the wheel myself and my track bar will be the least of my problems, should I just not straighten the wheel out at all until after it is aligned and what will be the major problem of doing this other then increased tire wear?
all i meant was that when you change the toe, it ALSO changes the steering wheel rotation.
the alignment shop knows what they need to do, you don't have to worry about telling them how to do their job.

to measure if your axle is centered, you can using a framing square on the top of your tire up to your fender to see if you are in the ball park, or a plumb bob and a measuring tape.

changing your upper/lower control arm lengths only affects your caster angle, and won't affect your steering wheel rotation at all.

get your axle centered, and get to an alignment shop, they can take care of everything else

Do a search on alignment(s)/shops,youll be suprised!Of the 1k's of threads they have alot in common.
Most only adjust the toe!
Some try to align it to factory specs(that doesnt work on a lifted/larger tire rig)!
Most didnt center the steering wheel!
Some didnt even know you can somewhat adjust the castor w/ shims!
Those that had adj uppers and/or lowers-"they wouldnt touch"!

Do it yourself,its easy,accurate and cheap.Again see GoJeeps site!

Back