• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering for front leaf conversion

i just finished my leaf spring swap. Don't listen to anyon that says leafsprings don't flex, mine worked so well it cracked my windshield. Don't do a dana 30, you will regret it in the long run. Dana 30 steering is just too tought to get around, that is why I didn't do it. Add to the fact that gears, install kits, and lockers are not much more for a 44 or a 60 and you just can't beat doing a 44. Most people do high steer or crossover steering. I will post some pics of my set up tommorow.

I did the leaf conversion on mine using stock YJ springs, sitting at about 10". And yes I'm looking for a steering setup for mine. I talked to Rustys and he's looking at making up a knuckle to knuckle with a Z-bar drag link and 3" drop pitman. I have used Z-bar setups before on other vehicles and have never had a problem with them... so hope this works.

Rockkrawlr said:
I did the leaf conversion on mine using stock YJ springs, sitting at about 10". And yes I'm looking for a steering setup for mine. I talked to Rustys and he's looking at making up a knuckle to knuckle with a Z-bar drag link and 3" drop pitman. I have used Z-bar setups before on other vehicles and have never had a problem with them... so hope this works.
What size tires are you running? If you needed ten inches of lift to run them, your tires are probably too big for a D30 to handle.

how are you getting 10"+ ??? a SOA on a YJ nets 5-6", are you using a big shackle. there is not much arch on a YJ stock pack... pics please

skyjackedxj96 said:
how are you getting 10"+ ?

I kept telling myself to take some measurments before I started and never did. Oh well, after I got the lift done and it was sitting on the stock tires I took a tape and measured from the top of the tire to the top of the wheel opening...now I know the top of the opening is off the tire somewhat (was guessing four or five inches)but didn't know for sure. Anway the measurement was 14 1/2". Anybody know for sure let me know because I'm guessing at the outcome.

measure from the center of the wheelhub to the bottom of the stock flare if you've still got them. If not, pick another static point on the body to measure to, the crease that runs front to back in the fender would do nicely.

Back