• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling, Blown Fuse

DBM

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, hope you can help.

My wife's 91 4.0 cherokee is having some problems. It's been running rough for a couple of weeks, some days it was good and other days not.

So I gave it a drive to try and figure things out. It stalls a couple of times on me during the drive home (at about 3000 rpm) and the last time it stalls I blow a 30amp fuse in the relay box which was for the fuel pump. I figured it was due to some water in the fuel because I had a leak in the fuel tank which I fixed, added some water remover to the tank but didn't help.

I swapped the fuse (3 days ago), changed the fuel filter, air filter, and drained the fuel from the tank and it will still occasionally stall at low idle - if I feather the gas peddle I'm fine. I don't get any codes.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

Also check the connection on the fuel pump, it's pulling too many amps and that usually indicates a short somewhere that could include the windings on the motor and/or the brushes on the motor.

Back