• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sprintex / Boostec Supercharger Install

That's a great option but I really want this supercharger to work with the stock ecu tune, stock injectors and a 7th auxillary injector to provide the extra fuel during boost. I don't want to abandone this setup just yet.

IMO, the 40 pound injectors will be a tad large. I run them on the Sprintex/AEM setup so... I know... To keep the injector useage at or around the 80% mark at full boost, WOT and near redline, somewhere close to 34 pounders will work just fine. I only went with the 40s as I was going to attempt an E85 tune, and for that I needed the extra 30% of capacity. As the AEM O2 Sensor Offset circuitly is not reliable, I have abandoned that idea and will, eventually, replace these injectors with the 34s.

At idle, my injectory duty is 2% and under full bore boogy it is around the 58% mark. What are your duty cycles looking like?

What are you using to measure duty cycle?

^^ Correct. The duty cycles show up when you have the gauges window open. And, if you are going to make changes to the map whilst driving then, the gauges window must be open do you can see which Cell is being used at the time. In the "extra injector" mode, only one injector will be reported.

I connected the output of my AEM Wideband to my F/IC so as to be able to read the AFR on the Laptop. Makes the job a goodly deal easier to accomplish. Other Widebands may have to be calibrated to the AEM software but there is a built in function for that as well. I went with the AEM O2 precisely for the reason that is is plug complatable with the F/IC.

I have my Daytona sensors wideband tied into the FIC which is nice so I don't have to download two logs and use two different pieces of software. Using the AEM log reading software you can see a whole lot of things.

I don't have the lm-2 wide-band tied into the FI/C(yet), so I am using both LogWorks and AEM

It is really nice to be able to be able to use just the AEM software to tune. A single wire connection from the UEGO controller. Still, I monitor my fuel trims (via the OBDII port) during tuning sessions and do try to keep them as close to stock as possible. If the trims get out of bounds, the PCM will throw codes for mixture even if the AFR is where it is supposed to be. Excessive trim = CEL. Leastways, on a '98 it does...

The seventh injector works just fine as long as the electronics controlling it fires it multiple times during the cycle. If that makes sense. I walked away from the idea due to my concern over fuel distribution issues. The AEM only fires it in conjunction with which ever factory controlled injector is tapped for the fire signal. AEM recommends that the number 1 cylinder be used.

...as to how well distributed the fuel is. With Zero Testing having been done on the AEM F/IC Sprintex combination, I elected to be very conservative in my approach. It MUST BE NOTED that with the Perfect Power SMT8-L in place, I had ZERO fuel issues. I did have massive ignition issues with the SMT8-L which drove me to the F/IC.

As long as the OP stays with the extra injector, he should not see any CEL incidents. If, however, he goes with replacement injectors, it is a near certainty, codes will be thrown.

This is a concern of O-G-S's that the AEM would pulse fuel in timing with the #1 cylinder injector pulsing and then would wait to pulse any more fuel until the next #1 cylinder firing(2 crank revolutions later). The concern is for fuel distribution within the incoming air. As was suggested, there could be a 'box' built as to sense each injector pulse and to pulse the 7th injector more often or even with every injector firing. That would make the fuel more evenly distributed in the incoming air.

There is still the concern that there will be poor distribution within the intake manifold. I am not too concerned here. If it was a turbo or centrifugal supercharger then it might have some concern with a 7th injector, where they inject the fuel after the turbo/s/c. With the sprintex s/c the fuel is injected before the s/c and the fuel and air gets 'homogenized'/blended together and then this 'mixture' goes to the cylinders as the cylinders draws in the intake charge. Would all the fuel go into the first or second cylinders only? I have not seen this happen. The air/fuel mixture will go to all cylinders. I have seen high boost, high amount of aux injector fuel being injected into a turbo discharge tube and that fuel is not 'homogenized' with the air and under high boost it just gets thrown against the far wall of the intake manifold and puddles. The first couple cylinders are lean the the last few are rich or worse- hydrolock with fuel.

So anyway, because of this and the way the programming is done with the AEM, I won't be using the AEM. The AEM is awkward at best to make control the 7th injector. It seems well suited to adjusting and decreasing fuel when using, for example, 6 larger injectors.

I will be using a different controller. I had one 'custom' made just for this application. It is the combination of a couple of different boxes. The programming is intuitive. It will control the timing just like the AEM and it will control the 7th injector by firing it with each cylinder injector firing. No bad air/fuel distribution problem. So it will fire the 7th injector 6 times for each cam revolution or every 2 crank revolutions. Both the timing and the fuel are controlled via a rpm vs. boost table. When there is no boost, the engine will operate normally under the stock ecu programming. When under boost, the stock ecu will operate as if WOT off the MAP sensor and the piggyback controller will add in the fuel according the the table and 'proportional' to boost and retard the timing also according to the table and 'proportional' to boost.

This week I should have the controller all connected- all 6 wires(12v+, -, 2 to intercept the CPS and 2 to intercept the CamPS and 2 wires for the 7th injector. Then testing and boost. Should be a fun week.

Hopefully no CEL's. If there is, I can clamp the MAP sensor and modify the O2 sensor signal to not show 'rich'.

At 5000rpm = 83rpsec =12millisec/1 crank rev, which for each 1 crank revolution will have 3 cylinder firings. So 1 cylinder firing occurs every 4ms. The minimum injector firing is about 1ms. So in one complete engine cycle (1 cam rotations or 2 crank rotations) the 7th injector will fire 6 times over 24ms(12ms/crankrev x2). Each firing will be minimum of 1ms up to 3ms (could go as high as 3.5ms), So for each complete engine cycle (1 cam rotations or 2 crank rotations) the 7th injector will deliver 6ms up to 18ms of fuel depending on the fuel table/boost. The actual amount of fuel delivered depends on the size of the 7th injector.

So just one piggyback box will control the timing retard, additional fuel under boost via the 7th injector and can if needed clamp/limit the MAP sensor.

Right now the MAP sensor at WOT(vac tube off, ignition on) the signal voltage is 4.70v. I don't think that the ecu will freak if it gets up to 5.0v or even 5.15v as the stroker guys have been doing this with no CEL's. If it does cause a CEL, I can clamp/limit the MAP signal voltage (with just this one piggyback system) anywhere between 4.7 and 5.0v.

So... You are going to relocate the factory MAP to the discharge side of the intake manifold?

Yes and No, the factory MAP stays in the stock location and the rubber fitting is spun around and plumbs into the intake manifold. There was a 2-2.5 vac difference between the stock and intake manifold locations. So the stock location MAP vac source would never see 0 vac. That 2-2.5 vac might be enough to keep it from going into open loop.
The 'piggyback' controller has it's own built in 2 bar map which will also be plumbed into the intake manifold.

Other testing I did was to see the airflow thru the different air filter systems.
Stock, stock no filter, Spectre, THOR, my modified version of THOR were all tested and compared. My blue/chrome/THOR version had the highest airflow. Now I will measure the IAT's for the cowl induction and compare to stock. I expect/hope that the cowl will be much cooler. No more hot underhood intake air for me.
And yes the stock air box has since been removed. Just have to tap in the valve cover tube/vent hose.
2012-07-05191158.jpg

Pulled a vacuum on the end and used a digital airflow meter and measured air flow, speed and cfm. This has been very reliable and reproducible for me in testing many different air tracts.

Yes and No, the factory MAP stays in the stock location and the rubber fitting is spun around and plumbs into the intake manifold. There was a 2-2.5 vac difference between the stock and intake manifold locations. So the stock location MAP vac source would never see 0 vac. That 2-2.5 vac might be enough to keep it from going into open loop.
The 'piggyback' controller has it's own built in 2 bar map which will also be plumbed into the intake manifold.

So then, yes actually. My concern is for the Stock Sensor itself. As it was not designed to ever see over 1 bar, I am concerned that it may fail, mechanically, under boost conditions. Time will tell.

As for open/closed loop, this has been beaten to death. The Jeep is in closed loop at idle and at cruise (i.e. steady state throttle). It goes open as soon as the throttle is significantly moved (i.e. beyond the move range of the Cruise Control system).

I have, personally, verified this via my OBDII software on my laptop. Crack open the throttle (acceleration) and the PCM goes open. Chop off the throttle (decelleration) and the PCM goes open. Think about it. It has to go open, especially under decelleration, or mixture codes would be tossed out like so much rice at a wedding.

Once you have your FSM in hand, the operation is neatly explained.

While you are waiting for the manual to arrive, here it is again...

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)​
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is located in the engine compartment. The PCM is referred to as JTEC (Jeep/Truck Engine Controller).

The PCM is a pre-programmed, triple microprocessor digital computer. The PCM operates the fuel system, regulates ignition timing, air-fuel ratio, emission control devices, charging system, certain transmission features, speed control, air conditioning compressor clutch engagement and idle speed. The PCM can adapt its programming to meet changing operating conditions.

The PCM receives input signals from various switches and sensors. Based on these inputs, the PCM
regulates various engine and vehicle operations through different system components. These components are referred to as Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Outputs. The sensors and switches that provide inputs to the PCM are considered Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Inputs.

The PCM adjusts ignition timing based upon inputs it receives from sensors that react to: engine rpm,
manifold absolute pressure, engine coolant temperature, throttle position, transmission gear selection
(automatic transmission), vehicle speed and the brake switch.
The PCM adjusts idle speed based on inputs it receives from sensors that react to: throttle position, vehicle speed, transmission gear selection, engine coolant temperature and from inputs it receives from the air conditioning clutch switch and brake switch. Based on inputs that it receives, the PCM adjusts ignition coil dwell. The PCM also adjusts the generator charge rate through control of the generator field and provides speed control operation.
PCM Inputs:​
A/C request (if equipped with factory A/C)
A/C select (if equipped with factory A/C)
Auto shutdown (ASD) sense
Battery temperature
Battery voltage
Brake switch
CCD bus (+) circuits / CCD bus (-) circuits
Camshaft position sensor signal
Crankshaft position sensor
Data link connection for DRB scan tool
Engine coolant temperature sensor
Fuel level
Generator (battery voltage) output
Ignition circuit sense (ignition switch in on/of/ crank/run position)
Intake manifold air temperature sensor
Leak detection pump (switch) sense (if equipped)
Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor
Oil pressure
Output shaft speed sensor
Overdrive/override switch
Oxygen sensors
Park/neutral switch (auto. trans. only)
Power ground / Sensor return / Signal ground
Speed control multiplexed single wire input
Throttle position sensor
Transmission governor pressure sensor
Transmission temperature sensor
Vehicle speed inputs from ABS or RWAL system​
PCM Outputs:​
A/C clutch relay
Auto shutdown (ASD) relay
CCD bus (+A) circuits for: speedometer, voltmeter, fuel gauge, oil pressure gauge/lamp, engine temp.
gauge and speed control warn. lamp
Data link connection for DRB scan tool
EGR valve control solenoid (if equipped)
EVAP canister purge solenoid
5 volt sensor supply (primary)
5 volt sensor supply (secondary) Fuel injectors
Fuel pump relay
Generator field driver (-) / Generator field driver (+)
Generator lamp (if equipped)
Idle air control (IAC) motor
Ignition coil
Leak detection pump (if equipped)
Malfunction indicator lamp (Check engine lamp). Driven through CCD circuits.
Overdrive indicator lamp (if equipped)
Radiator cooling fan (2.5L engine only)
Speed control vacuum solenoid
Speed control vent solenoid
Tachometer (if equipped). Driven through CCD circuits.
Transmission converter clutch circuit
Transmission 3-4 shift solenoid
Transmission relay
Transmission temperature lamp (if equipped)
Transmission variable force solenoid
MODES OF OPERATION​
As input signals to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) change, the PCM adjusts its response to the output devices. For example, the PCM must calculate different injector pulse width and ignition timing for idle than it does for wide open throttle (WOT).

The PCM will operate in two different modes: Open Loop and Closed Loop.
During Open Loop modes, the PCM receives input signals and responds only according to preset PCM programming. Input from the oxygen (O2S) sensors is not monitored during Open Loop modes During Closed Loop modes, the PCM will monitor the oxygen (O2S) sensors input. This input indicates to the PCM whether or not the calculated injector pulse width results in the ideal air-fuel ratio. This ratio is 14.7 parts air-to-1 part fuel. By monitoring the exhaust oxygen content through the O2S sensor, the PCM can fine tune the injector pulse width. This is done to achieve optimum fuel economy combined with low emission engine performance.
The fuel injection system has the following modes of operation:​
Ignition switch ON​
Engine start-up (crank)
Engine warm-up
Idle
Cruise
Acceleration
Deceleration
Wide open throttle (WOT)
Ignition switch OFF
The ignition switch ON, engine start-up (crank), engine warm-up, acceleration, deceleration and wide open throttle modes are Open Loop modes. The idle and cruise modes, (with the engine at operating temperature) are Closed Loop modes.
Ignition Switch (Key-In) Mode​
This is an Open Loop mode. When the fuel system is activated by the ignition switch, the following actions occur:
The PCM pre-positions the idle air control (IAC) motor.
The PCM determines atmospheric air pressure from the MAP sensor input to determine basic fuel strategy.
The PCM monitors the engine coolant temperature sensor input. The PCM modifies fuel strategy based on this input.
Intake manifold air temperature sensor input is monitored.
Throttle position sensor (TPS) is monitored.
The auto shutdown (ASD) relay is energized by the PCM for approximately three seconds.
The fuel pump is energized through the fuel pump relay by the PCM. The fuel pump will operate for
approximately three seconds unless the engine is operating or the starter motor is engaged.
The O2S sensor heater element is energized via the ASD relay. The O2S sensor input is not used by the PCM to calibrate air-fuel ratio during this mode of operation.​
Engine Start-Up Mode​
This is an Open Loop mode. The following actions occur when the starter motor is engaged. The PCM receives inputs from:
Battery voltage
Throttle position sensor (TPS)
Starter motor relay
Camshaft position sensor signal
The PCM monitors the crankshaft position sensor. If the PCM does not receive a crankshaft position sensor signal within 3 seconds of cranking the engine, it will shut down the fuel injection system.
The fuel pump is activated by the PCM through the fuel pump relay. Voltage is applied to the fuel injectors with the ASD relay via the PCM. The PCM will then control the injection sequence and injector pulse width by turning the ground circuit to each individual injector ON and OFF.
The PCM determines the proper ignition timing according to input received from the crankshaft position sensor.​
Engine Warm-Up Mode​
This is an Open Loop mode. During engine warm- up, the PCM receives inputs from:
Battery voltage
Camshaft position sensor signal (in the distributor)
Park/neutral switch (gear indicator signal - auto. trans. only)
Air conditioning select signal (if equipped)
Air conditioning request signal (if equipped)
Based on these inputs the following occurs:
Voltage is applied to the fuel injectors with the ASD relay via the PCM. The PCM will then control the
injection sequence and injector pulse width by turning the ground circuit to each individual injector ON and OFF.
The PCM adjusts engine idle speed through the idle air control (IAC) motor and adjusts ignition timing.
The PCM operates the A/C compressor clutch through the clutch relay. This is done if A/C has been
selected by the vehicle operator and requested by the A/C thermostat.
When engine has reached operating temperature, the PCM will begin monitoring O2S sensor input. The system will then leave the warm-up mode and go into closed loop operation.​
Idle Mode​
When the engine is at operating temperature, this is a Closed Loop mode. At idle speed, the PCM receives inputs from:
Battery voltage
Battery voltage
Park/neutral switch (gear indicator signal-auto. trans. only)
Oxygen sensors
Based on these inputs, the following occurs:
Voltage is applied to the fuel injectors with the ASD relay via the PCM. The PCM will then control
injection sequence and injector pulse width by turning the ground circuit to each individual injector ON and OFF.
The PCM monitors the O2S sensor input and adjusts air-fuel ratio by varying injector pulse width. It also adjusts engine idle speed through the idle air control (IAC) motor.
The PCM adjusts ignition timing by increasing and decreasing spark advance.
The PCM operates the A/C compressor clutch through the clutch relay. This happens if A/C has been selected by the vehicle operator and requested by the A/C thermostat.​
Cruise Mode​
When the engine is at operating temperature, this is a Closed Loop mode. At cruising speed, the PCM receives inputs from:
Battery voltage
Oxygen (O2S) sensors
Based on these inputs, the following occurs:
Voltage is applied to the fuel injectors with the ASD relay via the PCM. The PCM will then adjust the
injector pulse width by turning the ground circuit to each individual injector ON and OFF.
The PCM monitors the O2S sensor input and adjusts air-fuel ratio. It also adjusts engine idle speed through the idle air control (IAC) motor.
The PCM adjusts ignition timing by turning the ground path to the coil ON and OFF.
The PCM operates the A/C compressor clutch through the clutch relay. This happens if A/C has been selected by the vehicle operator and requested by the A/C thermostat.​
Acceleration Mode​
This is an Open Loop mode. The PCM recognizes an abrupt increase in throttle position or MAP pressure as a demand for increased engine output and vehicle acceleration. The PCM increases injector pulse width in response to increased throttle opening.​
Deceleration Mode​
When the engine is at operating temperature, this is an Open Loop mode. During hard deceleration, the PCM receives the following inputs.
Battery voltage
Vehicle speed sensor
If the vehicle is under hard deceleration with the proper rpm and closed throttle conditions, the PCM will ignore the oxygen sensor input signal. The PCM will enter a fuel cut-off strategy in which it will not supply a ground to the injectors. If a hard deceleration does not exist, the PCM will determine the proper injector pulse width and continue injection.
Based on the above inputs, the PCM will adjust engine idle speed through the idle air control (IAC) motor.
The PCM adjusts ignition timing by turning the ground path to the coil ON and OFF.​
Wide Open Throttle Mode​
This is an Open Loop mode. During wide open throttle operation, the PCM receives the following inputs:
Battery voltage
During wide open throttle conditions, the following occurs:
Voltage is applied to the fuel injectors with the ASD relay via the PCM. The PCM will then control the
injection sequence and injector pulse width by turning the ground circuit to each individual injector ON and OFF. The PCM ignores the oxygen sensor input signal and provides a predetermined amount of additional fuel. This is done by adjusting injector pulse width.
The PCM adjusts ignition timing by turning the ground path to the coil ON and OFF.​
Ignition Switch OFF Mode​
When ignition switch is turned to OFF position, the PCM stops operating the injectors, ignition coil, ASD relay and fuel pump relay.​

Idle and Cruise, closed loop. All other states, open loop. Not RPM based. Throttle/Temperature based. The above is right out of the FSM. I have posted this so many times now that I keep it as a PDF...

There is a reference to "hard" acceleration. This is the reference for throttle moves beyond CC operation. Which means, if the Heep is on the CC and the Driver needs to pass something, as soon as the throttle moves past what the CC system is capable of doing, the Heep goes open loop.

Our Heeps are very simple in operation. Not very sophisticated at all. Modern engines stay in closed loop even under acceleration. The '05 and up do. Also personally verified via the laptop. These PCMs are primitive, all things considered.

"So then, yes actually. My concern is for the Stock Sensor itself. As it was not designed to ever see over 1 bar, I am concerned that it may fail, mechanically, under boost conditions. Time will tell."

I agree, time will tell. I have not seen a sensor go bad with mild boost. If it does, I can reconfig it to not see boost but then again it will never go below 2-2.5 vacuum, or get a 2 bar sensor. I tried a check valve inline but then I would need to have a boost bleed to make it work when out of boost.

The FSM is vague at best in its descriptions for open loop. Like what temp, rpm, MAP change, TPS change. Need some hard values. It is a good guide but thatis why we have to test and try things out.

I don't think the sensor is going to fail at above 1 bar, since it's almost certainly a MEMS or piezoresistive strain gauge type pressure transducer it can likely handle several bar.

But it's going to clip any >1bar signal to the max value it can output. It's simply not designed to measure above one bar and nothing is going to change that.

edit: I know very little of boosted engine management but I do know just enough chemistry to get myself in trouble. Since the interesting value is actually mass airflow, which is being computed by the ECU using intake air temp and manifold pressure (PV = nRT, plus other gas equations) and is unaware of the concept of manifold pressure being over 1 bar... any chance this could be compensated for by faking the intake air temp sensor signal appropriately to indicate the same mass airflow? I'm not sure how that would affect other parameters like spark advance but I'm *reasonably* certain (i.e. the math makes sense to me) that the ECU would compensate properly and inject the right amount of fuel, at least.

Last edited:
The MAP will not put out more than it's supply voltage. Now that should be 5.0v but I measures 5.16v. Anycase, that is the max it will put out. It may or may not throw a CEL if it is out of range and if it does it can be 'clamped' at 4.8v or so. Mine with the key on and vac line open to atmosphere read 4.70v. maybe on a high barometric pressure day or in death valley(below sea level) it will read higher but not over the input voltage.

Back