• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speakers

dakotus said:
in my opinion. Jeeps arent made for the Audiophile. I think Focal is a little over the top for jeeps. A good middle of the road comp system will do just fine. With all the windows, the last thing you want to worry about is a $700 set of Utopias getting stolen.
Ya, true. But hey, I found 'em for a steal, so I went ahead with it.

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't have my sub, and I wouldn't have an amp. I'd probably just have my headunit and four 3-ways (right now I only have a front soundstage, no rear speakers).

dakotus said:
and hows that sound? with no rearfill, im thinking might sound a little weird. Im used to always having 4 speaks in a car! haha
It sound great. With my sub back there, I could probably never hear 100% of any speaker sound from back there. The majority of the clearest sound you'll get is from right near you- the front. The rear is exactly what you said: just a filler.

Still, if you wanna do an entire soundstage, I'd say get components up front, and some good 3-ways out back. You could even just go coax in the rear. It's up to you.

So, you could do a headunit, components up front, drive the comps with a 2 channel amp, then drive the 3-ways or coaxs with the headunit.

Just remember if you go components you're going to have to use an amp. The headunit is too weak to drive them in most cases.

98XJDMB said:
i'm not one to rattle windows, and blair obnoxious music, but the stock speakers have to go. at first i was thinking, just put something cheap in, anything will be better than what i have. but, whats a few dollars especially when i have a very nice alpine head unit. (i got it a few years back, but it puts out 60W x 4... heres one for sale on e-bay: Alpine CDA-7873) i went on the crutchfield and was just looking around and saw these:
h107db525.jpeg

Polk db525 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers

the nice thing about them is:

so they can take some abuse and moisture.
According to the "What fits my car?" thing on crutchfield they should fit just fine, and from what i remember they are the right size.

What are some other good speakers i should look at? these are more on the top end of the $$$ i'd like to spend, but i think for 4 speakers i'll cap it at $200 without tax. TIA

I have 4 of these in the 6.5" size in my 2000. Provided that your 98 (I assume) has the same stock speakers, you'll want to get 6.5" speakers, even for the doors. The Polks are also a little tall thanks to that amored tweeter.

At onlinecarstereo.com they have the Audiobahn 6.5" 3way with detachable tweeter for $55/pair plus shipping. I put a pair in the hatch of my cherokee (not difficult) and the bass response is very good. (I have to move the tweeters out of the speakers because one is firing right into my spare tire, doh!) They sound great. I'm running them off a Kenwood head unit putting out 45w max. I've heard they'll work in the doors as well. If I remember right they'll handle 100w continuous. Next on the tunes list is two more for the front and a 4 channel amp to drive them. They will sound better with an amp but they sound fine without leaving room for the upgrade. At $110 for four speakers they're like a broke drum, hard to beat.

Good wheelin to ya,
Cherokid

Cherokid said:
At onlinecarstereo.com they have the Audiobahn 6.5" 3way with detachable tweeter for $55/pair plus shipping. I put a pair in the hatch of my cherokee (not difficult) and the bass response is very good. (I have to move the tweeters out of the speakers because one is firing right into my spare tire, doh!) They sound great. I'm running them off a Kenwood head unit putting out 45w max. I've heard they'll work in the doors as well. If I remember right they'll handle 100w continuous. Next on the tunes list is two more for the front and a 4 channel amp to drive them. They will sound better with an amp but they sound fine without leaving room for the upgrade. At $110 for four speakers they're like a broke drum, hard to beat.

Good wheelin to ya,
Cherokid

Im in line with you bro! I have audiobahn dub series 5.25 components with 120 RMS wats and 240 peak, in the front kicker pannels, those 6.5's will go in the door as well as the roof and another pair of audiobauhn dub 6.5 components built into my rear door!

And of course all i needed was one 10" flame Q series 180 oz double stacked strontanium magnet, 2, 3" voice coils, 2" surround and a seriously chromed out, weighted sub with more stats than i can list that puts out 900 RMS watts, and 1800 peak!!! (the sub and amp are in the mail as we speak!)

Oh yeah, those 5.25 dub components costed $40 before shipping!!!!!!

kubtastic said:
I have 4 of these in the 6.5" size in my 2000. Provided that your 98 (I assume) has the same stock speakers, you'll want to get 6.5" speakers, even for the doors. The Polks are also a little tall thanks to that amored tweeter.

how was fitting the 6.5" speakers, especiall in the back? i want them to look totally stock.

I put a pair of Infinity 6.5" coaxials in the rear soundbar of my '98. I did have to make my own screw holes, but that only took a minute or two per speaker. But the new speakers fit perfectly in the stock openings. The factory grilles snapped right back in place, and visually, you cannot see any difference. You can sure HEAR the difference, though! :laugh3:

I can't help you there. I used 5.25" speakers up front, and again, all I had to do was drill my own holes. Otherwise, they fit fine.

98XJDMB said:
ok, so the back can take a 6.5, but how about the front doors? does anyone have any pics of the modifications they made?

Look up a couple of replies, the diamond plating on the door is actually covering up the speakers that are still in there! Once i upgrade, i'll cut the holes, take the speakers out and put in the 6.5's right there with some sealant for a nice tight fit. So just picture it, the 6.5 speaker being mounted flush on the diamond aluminum gives me the extra depth to even put in mid bass drivers!

LittleAnthony88 said:
Look up a couple of replies, the diamond plating on the door is actually covering up the speakers that are still in there! Once i upgrade, i'll cut the holes, take the speakers out and put in the 6.5's right there with some sealant for a nice tight fit. So just picture it, the 6.5 speaker being mounted flush on the diamond aluminum gives me the extra depth to even put in mid bass drivers!
yeah, i don't really plan on putting diamond plating, or doing any mods to the door that would be visible.

i think i'll just keep everything at 5.25 and not have to modify anything. someone said something about the tweeter on the polk being high, and if thats the case i'll carve out some of the plastic grill, but i doubt that will occur. is there that much difference between 5.25 and 6.5 sound wise? i'm sure less bass, but the tweeters are the same.

LittleAnthony88 said:
I know your helping me in the other thread and i appreciate it very much! BUT, trust me, my money will go first to fixing the t-case problem before i buy any other stereo equipment!!
Besides, i was just replying to his thread and let him know that with car audio, anything is possible to do if you know what your doing and have the cash and smart shop. I do all my own work and heres a pic of the front speakers, BUT i have yet to cut the hole for the door speaker. A 6.5 will sit flush against the diamond plating allowing more depth to fit it even with a larger magnet. The speaker will match the other component speaker for a good look as well!!

fbi8w2.jpg

Are those Q-logic kick panel enclosures?

some 6 1/2"'s will fit . I did a bit of cutting,I put 6"x9" pioneers in my front doors and 5 1/4" pioneers in rear hatch sounds awesome!! When cutting the only thing to watch out for is the wire cluster coming thru the door, just move the wires out of the way and let er rip. It was very worth the 45 minutes of work to do it.. If you can snag a 4 ch amp add that in too. Im working on a idea to place 6"x9" in rear doors also but still working with power window guide..ill post it if i can get it done...total cost for all 4 was 120.00 plus 4 jigsaw blades...

josh89xj said:
some 6 1/2"'s will fit . I did a bit of cutting,I put 6"x9" pioneers in my front doors and 5 1/4" pioneers in rear hatch sounds awesome!! When cutting the only thing to watch out for is the wire cluster coming thru the door, just move the wires out of the way and let er rip. It was very worth the 45 minutes of work to do it.. If you can snag a 4 ch amp add that in too. Im working on a idea to place 6"x9" in rear doors also but still working with power window guide..ill post it if i can get it done...total cost for all 4 was 120.00 plus 4 jigsaw blades...

I had 6X9's in the rear door then switched over to 6.5's. Definately go with the 6.1/2's round!! I can take a pic if you want.

Regarding 'onlinecarstereo'. I failed to mention that any orders over $100 gets free shipping.

Good Wheelin' to ya!
Cherokid

Cherokid said:
Regarding 'onlinecarstereo'. I failed to mention that any orders over $100 gets free shipping.

Good Wheelin' to ya!
Cherokid

i can find prices that beat that by a mile and with great equipment! I can get a pair of fron and back components or 3way mids; 4 speakers for under the $100 free delivery, AND, delivery is always free with in-car speakers!!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought a new head unit today and 4 speakers from cardomain, a Jensen MP8610BT MP3 Player, Pioneer TS-A1370R 3-Way Speakers and the Scosche wiring kits for $299. Wanted the jensen head unit for the bluetooth feature. Ordered them this morning and they shipped this afternoon. Probably get here on monday or so. The sound is not that important to me, as long as the radio works and the bluetooth all the other stuff is just gravy. I mean WTF am I gonna do with a wireless remote control, sell it on ebay, sucker the cat into the jeep and then blast the radio and scare the crap out of her ?? :laugh3: that actually might be fun....

LittleAnthony88 said:
i can find prices that beat that by a mile and with great equipment! I can get a pair of fron and back components or 3way mids; 4 speakers for under the $100 free delivery, AND, delivery is always free with in-car speakers!!!!!!!!!!!

Quit holdin' out....where!

And Rich P., what's the blue tooth special?

Good Wheelin' to ya...
with big noise.

Chero(sleeplessinlongbeach)kid

Back