• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sound bar install

91 Jeep Project said:
The sound bar was added in '93, and was not an option, it became standard in all XJs. Then of course in 97 with all the upgrades that took place, the sound bar was "built" into the headliner, where it stayed until the end of production............ :lecture:

Nope i have a 94 and i dont have a sound bar..i want one thoughs o if anybody's got a grey one shoot me a PM :)

Congrats on the find. My wife and I have had 3 XJ's over the years 87Laredo, 93 Sport, 96 Sport. The soundbar in the 96 is great on the 1,200 mile trip to we take to Atlanta. We are usually loaded up with baggage and animals, and having the rear speakers on the soundbar makes all the difference in the world for music. I have thought about finding one for my 87, but it isn't even wired for rear speakers.

As for the stock or not q's,

We bought our '93 Sport brand new from Nash Chevy/Jeep in Lawrenceville, Ga. It had the speakers in the rear hatch as standard.

The '96 we ordered from Jasper Jeep in Jasper, Ga, and I still have the factory sticker. It lists: "AM/FM Stereo with Four Speakers/Sound Bar & Clock" as stock equipment. The casset radio was an added option we received in the Sport package.

-Copperhead

Hey Everyone, I had to join in here as I just found a soundbar myself this weekend. Only thing missing was a speaker cover. I was lucky enough someone didnt butcher the wireing and I was able to plug in directly to the harness for the ones going to the hatch. Looks like it was either the hatch or soundbar option, would be nice to have both w/o having to splice.

ok so i got everything torn out to install the bar, when i realized that i dont have the bracket that it mounts to, so it hangs down some in the middle. What do yall suggest i do to secure it to the roof in the middle. Thanks

There was another post on this somewhere about that spacer or whatever. Do a search for it. Someone made something if i remember correctly.

Whenever i go to a "u pull it" place, i make sure i take all the hardware i can just in case.

I need to get one of those yet, want to redo my headliner in realtree camoflauge, but not until i find a sound bar.......and carpet, seats, lift kit, tires, tranny overhaul, differentials and tc gone through........the list goes on........ugggh.

Thought of just rhino or dura lining the floors instead of carpet, then put mats in it. Has anyone done this?

Cory

csr_011 said:
Whenever i go to a "u pull it" place, i make sure i take all the hardware i can just in case.
Cory
yeah i know but see it was a bracket that was glues onto the ceiling, maybe should i go back and get that and then use some sealer to secure it to the roof. hmmm this mihg tjust work. What should i use as far as adhesives go. Thanks

scott

scottsxj said:
yeah i know but see it was a bracket that was glues onto the ceiling, maybe should i go back and get that and then use some sealer to secure it to the roof. hmmm this mihg tjust work. What should i use as far as adhesives go. Thanks

scott
Epoxy should do it, I love the stuff and use it all the time. I have the cup holder on the side of the console. Alot of people like it but complain about how easy it pops off. I epoxyed mine on about a year and a half ago, still hasn't budged............. :pig:

Got a '93... no soundbar. Had am/fm cassette stock. HIgh tech in '93.

could it be that its just the sound bar came in the sport and the limited edition instead of the se or whatever the bottom of the line is. i have a 95 xj sport and it has the sound bar.....

hey. i have a sound bar in my 95 cherokee. what i am doing is putting a nice system in it. i am taking out the stock 4.5 door speakers and putting 6x9s in it, and putting 6.5s in the sound bar. i am then wiring those up to an amp. using the wiring from the soundbar, i will splice it and make it a couple feet longer and wire up my back hatch and make that run off the head unit. i will do the same with the front door speakers and run those wires underneith the dash and have some 3.5s under the dash. that will make a total of 8 speakers, 4 running off the amp and 4 running off the head unit. i will also have 2 alpine 12" subs running off the amp. it should sound very good because it will be all alpine sterio equiptment. i cant wait until its all hooked up. i just have to get the jeep registered and make sure its relyable before i put many hours into installing a nice sterio.
Rob

TEXJ said:
WHat years did they put those in. I've only owned or rode in the early '90s or lat 80's XJ's and I've never seen them. I'd love to snag a sound bar to put in my XJ.

In the same boat here. Haven't even seen one, or even an XJ at the wreckers that someone snagged out one of at all. I find even the overhead consoles are hard to come by and lucked out as I went to a wreckers ah hours drive or so for me and seem that it doesn't get hit for the XJ's too much at all. Seems that these aren't too common unfortunately. Will hopefully come across one eventually. Did come across a front factory skid plate. Only the second one in probably who knows how many XJ's in 5 different wreckers, so I grabbed. Hopeing to do the same with the sound bar eventually.

91 Jeep Project said:
It wasn't a dealer installed option, all '93 - '96 have the sound bar. A newer headliner will swap in, just make sure you get the dome lights and visors from the donor vehicle.............. :lecture:

Are you sure of this? Every '93 I've seen , at least up here has never had the soundbar in it. My front header panel is from a '93, and I looked for the soundbar but it never had one installed on it at all. There was a post on here I read before about this, and it seems it was either an option, or standard with certain option packages IIRC.

wow. what an old dead thread. I'll bite the stale bisket.

The inclusion of the soundbar DID have to do with the package. My 96 Classic did have it, and so did my 98 Sport. But the jeep I have now, a 97 se DOESN'T have one. and I'm looking for one cheap. ....thats the only reason i revived this thread.

sell my yours!!

I've had a 94 sport a 96 classic and a 97 country, all with bars

BUT, my 97 country with the 6 speaker infinity system has the same bar as my 96, not the one with the speakers intergrated into the headliner, which was a bummer because my friends 99 is that way so I figured It would be the same for a 97

so 97's have the same soundbar as the 84-96's that had them...
unless mines just wierd or an early build date or something

just thought i'd toss that in here

EBXJBOB said:
so 97's have the same soundbar as the 84-96's that had them...
unless mines just wierd or an early build date or something
Yes, I believe so. Every 97 I have seen has had the older style bar. JIM.

Back