• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Brace

Just got one - Rugged Ridge flavour - at an excellent price, but now I think I know why:-
1/ came without any instructions, not uncommon it seems, from reading reviews, but does anyone have a copy?
2/ no clamp for the column either, although some illustrations don't show one, is it a separate part? Doesn't look too difficult to replicate and, given the disproportionate shipping costs, what are the dimensions?
3/ have seen some suggestion this is for use with RR's adjustable track bar & bracket, in which case it's no use to me, but is that right?

Any help, thoughts, ideas gratefully received.

Got a pillow block bearin setup for the sector shaft if you need one

That's the one - except it's got no clamp!

I guess first step is to ask for the clamp. Otherwise it seems pretty straightforward to install it. One side attaches to the bolt holes on the passenger side, and the other side clamps to the body of the steering box. IMO, its a pretty minimal brace. Its better than nothing, but there is much better out there.

Don't suppose the seller would be interested, I guess that why it was cheap, hence my question about whether it's a separate part or even available separately.

Couldn't find any way to contact Rugged Ridge, it was my search for contact details that lead me to reviews, all of which were somewhat discouraging, both as to the product & any semblance of customer service.

If it bolts to the body, why am I reading it's for use with their adjustable track bar?

I accept it's in the better than nothing category but at the price I paid it still seemed like good enough for the use my XJ gets.

Over the weekend I'll have to decide whether to give it up as a bad job & return it.

No idea what you payed. But I do know these are badass for the price. I think mine was missing a bolt is all

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1746687197...SNVguSyRrq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Sorry yours is missing the clamp but id chuck it for this one

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

OP: This brace is a knock-off of the IronMan4x4Fab brace which I have. The IR4x4F brace takes a bit of fiddling around to get it installed, but its a solid design. If the knock-off is a precise copy, it should be about the same. If you are keeping the front sway bar, you'll need to purchase a set of sway bar mount spacers.

Yup, that's a better product, but it's not the way I'd spend that sort of money on my XJ.

Even he RC one is probably better than mine - but it only cost about $20!

Things have moved on a little, I've downloaded the fitting instructions, although the all important picture of where the bracket mounts doesn't clearly show any reference points.

Also fired off an e-mail to RR asking about availability of the clamp. I know it's been received but no response. Whatever happened to good old American customer service?

I noticed the shared ebay link isnt showing the correct price.
Its 118 with free shipping

It did come with no destructions also required alittle fiddleing to get it bolted on.

It did improve steering and has helped prevented my frame from cracking.

Also have the inner frame stiffner from stinky fab welded in.

There was a time I may not have thought all this neccasary but my xj on 35s going fast proved me wrong.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Evan is right. That's a nice brace. If you don't want to spend as much time with the install Barnes has one without the sector shaft support for pretty cheap

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem with threads wandering off topic but extoling the virtues of better products (especially ones that are vastly more expensive & wouldn't fit mine anyway, because they're handed) doesn't help me with the original problem.

That said, making a clamp is probably the answer but will see what my local Tractor Supply Co type place has.

So yesterday RuggedRidge replied to my e-mail of the 14th advising me that "missing parts claims are handled directly by the Omix customer service team." providing me with a link, which I followed to a site with no provision for 1/2 the info. it was suggested I'd need to provide & because it doesn't recognise a UK phone number I couldn't submit the completed form.

I was disappointed with the product as received but seriously unimpressed with their parody of customer service.

Might have another go if I get bored over the Christmas/New Year period as, by chance, I found I do have an American number (how, why & when remain a mystery) failing that I might just put in their own, after all their stupid computer won't know any better, it's just looking for a certain sequence of figures. :compwork: :jester:

Back