• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sound bar install

Well aware of bringing back a deade post... but figured this to be the best place to ask. about a month ago, while looking for a new passenger side mirror at a junk yard, (cut mine off... long story) I stumbled across a 99 jeep cherokee classic with an overhead console and a speakerbar. Well.. i needed to replace my headliner anyways.. might as well steal all that crap too. So 100 bucks later, brand new headliner, overhead console and sound bar. yay. Now, I have a 93 cherokee sport. im aware the overhead console's features wont all work. That's not this issue right now, it's the speaker bar. Has anyone put one from a new model jeep into an older model jeep. It appears Im going to have to trim it a little bit, But i wanted to check with you guys before I started cuttin stuff and got that famous "aww s**t." Suggestions?
oh and to clarify my 93 has no spiffy features. nothing. bare bones basic model. I tell people it's got power steering. that's it. But im working on changing that.

AFAIK the speaker bar should just fit in. It did with the mid '90's one I put in my '90XJ. it just fits underneath the trim. If it's the headliner wit the built in speaker locations, not sure. I never did try replacing the entire headliner.

As for the overhead, if it's the basic temp/direction, then it's pretty easy to hook up as long as you get the wiring in right. [you may have a plug for it as well. Look on the bottom side of the glove compartment in behind if there's an unused connector.] Not sure if the '99 has more features available in it or not.

Yeah, the 99 overhead console has a lot of features that wont work in my 93. the whole OBDII thing. The sound bar is the one that goes underneath the headliner. Currently working on stripping and re-upholstering that. The color didn't match my interior. But yeah the sound bar is installed and all the wiring has been ran and hooked up. Just waiting to put the headliner in and waiting to see how well that will fit in there. Hoping there wont be any trimming to do. :) what fun.

I have a '94 and I'm in the process of trying to get speakers into the liftgate. The wires in the soundbar are blue/yellow, brown/blue with the latter being the stripe color. On the passenger side white/blue and white orange. The problem comes in when I go to the liftgate and neither of those combinations are there. I don't want to just cut into all of the wires looking for the right combos so does anyone have any idea what I should do next?

In my 93 the wires came from the drivers side up into the d pillar, near the back of the lift gate. there where some wires running across the back of the jeep, but those where for the power washer on the rear window. From the D pillar on the drivers side it went into the Lift gate and down from there. When I installed my sound bar I just cut at the D pillar and spliced there. Is your sound bar factory installed? perhaps wire's where not ran into the lift gate. You might have to run new ones. Inside the lift gate should be a connector for the lift gate wire harness, mine was in the upper area on the drivers side, almost in the corner. Check to see if the speaker wires atleast go to that post. If all else fail's, run some new wires. Although I really dont know why you would want to put speakers into the tail gate if you have a speaker bar... Unless you'r going for that 8 speaker system.

--

Oh and by the by, For those who want to put a headliner with a built in speaker bar into a 95 or earlier, I had to trim the plastic tabs on the speaker bar in half, so the speaker bar would sit far enough forward and allow all the holes on the headliner to line up properly. The whole thing looks pretty good now.

That would be only six speakers total, where else could I put some? The wires don't come into the liftgate from the soundbar. How would you get them back there, through the braided thingy?

The wires into the liftgate ran through the rubber water tight tube on the drivers side. And the reason i counted 8 speakers - Speaker bar (2), lift Gate (2), driver/passenger doors (2), and Dash (2, tweeters mind you, but speakers none the less ;P). I havn't wired all my speakers in yet, saving for a lil better stereo, and plan on adding an xploder box in the back passenger side indent. So i guess that would be 9 speakers..

I've got a 94 ..only options it has are a/c,power steering and cruise control ..no power windows/locks or anything like that ..but it has the soundbar and I love that ..have a sony xplod stereo in it ..works great for me

Thats not possible, the sound bar WAS added to the headliner in 97 on the newer body style. The only differences between the premium package and the regular speaker package was the addition of tweeters. Therefore all jeeps had 4 speakers from the factory. I would like to see a picture of someone with a 97+ that has speakers in the hatch............ :pig:
Well I had a '97 XJ, it had tweeters on doors, along w/ speakers. and the rear sound bar. I can get pics if you really don't believe me. I think it was an options you could order. I bought jeep used and it had every option i can think of. My new '98 doesn't have sound bar. Or tweeters.

Back