• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some extra wires....

bottleworks

NAXJA Forum User
I was under the hood today fixing a leaking injector and I noticed on the wiring harness that runs along the head and fuel rail that there were two cut wires. :eek:
A White/Black and a Purple/White.

The last owner appeared to have modified some of the wiring before I got the Jeep. I can figure what the wires are for. ...And no luck with my wiring diagram.

Does anyone know what they are for? Thanks.

Are they toward the front or the back of the engine? Do they go into the larger injection wiring harness that's enclosed in that black plastic sleeve (loom)?

It's towards the rear of the engine. I went through all of the wiring and couldn't find any broken wiring and all the local components all appeared to be wired up.

Do they go into the larger injection wiring harness that's enclosed in that black plastic sleeve (loom)?

Yep. They were cut where the harness turns and heads towards the front of the engine.

So, im lost.... :confused:

Check if you can to see if the wires from the crank position sensor still enter the main harness. If not, it probably indicates that the previous owner installed the harness upgrade that runs the wires directly to the ECU.

Matthew Currie said:
Check if you can to see if the wires from the crank position sensor still enter the main harness. If not, it probably indicates that the previous owner installed the harness upgrade that runs the wires directly to the ECU.

There is a harness upgrade?

BTT!!

Yeah - the harness for the CPS had a TSB in like '89... You cut the existing wires and reroute a CPS replacement harness directly through the firewall to the ECU --- the ECU side of the mod was just to pull the existing pins from the ECU connector's harness and insert the pins already fitted to the wires in the replacement harness...
... if you've had the mod done you should proly have the same qty=2 wires hangin' loose (with pins on the ends unless someone was neat'n'tidy) next to the ECU end of the main harness.

Look at TSB 185789 (DEC 89) and TSB 185188 (MAY 88) for details

Matthew Currie said:

That was my thought as well, and that's what prompted the questions I asked.

Find the CPS wires and see if they lead from the connector directly through the firewall and into the ECU. If so, the CPS harness has been upgraded. The original wiring went into the harness.

Back