• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So what do you guys think??

Sorry about the images. Looks like I'll have to find another place to put them. Image shack changed a lot of stuff
by the looks of it. If no pic pops up you'll have to click download image and click "open with" to see it. If ye get
a big gray square just hit back and click open again it should come up the second time.

It did! Oddly enough it handled the power well but that 40 day -30 cold snap what seemed to have did it in.
Drove fine when I parked it but when I went to move it to fix the other car it didn't want to go into gear.
When it did it clunked in and when I drove it it basically fell apart. Lost 3 gears in 20 mins. lol

So here is the exhaust I did cause for the most part I was bored. 1-5/8" primaries and tried to make them more equal as well.
Stainless Steel construction and used (chopped) the Clifford flange to make this. I was able to make this all just fit in there lol.

Here's the Flow-masters I put on and the pics that came from it. I like the sound
of them now with the new header I made. Really made a difference, of course it
pushed my power-band up a bit but not bad, doesn't kick in till about 2300 or so.
Don't know why that is but I can still blow a broads skirt up from 30 feet away
despite the huge pipes!

Nice! It is amazing that the peugot transmission held that amount of power for a while especially with the nick name it has.. "puke it". lol Have you thought of upgrading to a ported/polished HO head?

You need to make a new test-drive video. :cool:

Ya so I pulled the ECU just now and discovered this. Now I never went in there before
but I found it wrapped with something like hockey tape. :nono:

On top of that only 2 screws were holding the ECU up there as well. I'm going to assume
that bare wire needs to be grounded somewhere? No problem there but it shouldn't be
like that should it?

Nice! It is amazing that the peugot transmission held that amount of power for a while especially with the nick name it has.. "puke it". lol Have you thought of upgrading to a ported/polished HO head?

You need to make a new test-drive video. :cool:

Ya, I'll make another one but I got to get these electrical gremlins
sorted out first. I need a new intake gasket, paint my TB runner
to the plenum and fix a few holes in the plenum itself.

Maybe the end of the week I hope.

I ported and polished most of this head. Since I did a lot of machine work
to this one I'm not going to swap heads. I will do the valve guide area and
cleanup around the back as well when I get a new cam.

Last edited:
I woould wrap that back and leave it alone. Its pretty standard for an insulation wire. Sometimes they are grounded, some times now.

I just went back and took a look at your pics.. I have a question on your O2 sensors.. I see two, one on bank 1, and one on bank 2. What is going on there? Being a renix it should only have one bank not two.

Also, on the throttle body.. did you use the accelerator from your XJ or from the donor vehicle?

Well I ask because the other end actually has a separate connector in the gray plug by the
firewall. The wrapped wire I believe are the O2 sensor wires as well. From the gray plug that
bare wire went straight to the ECU where I see it bundled up and taped off there. As far as I
know any bundle of wires that has a bare wire always is/was ground but you know
the Jeep thing so.. I figure just to take a pic and let someone else have a look at it. I'm 95%
sure it should be grounded,.. but where? It's pretty short at the ECU end. Not to mention it
was bundled up with hockey tape sooo...

1-3 is Renix and 4-6 is a gauge to see a rough A/F.

I used my original accelerator cable. All I did was make an extension/adapter to work with the
throttle body; I'll post that up in a bit. The throttle body setup in these pictures are "old" per-say.
but that was as well the original cable used in conjunction with an elaborate and sloppy linkage
setup to work both throttle bodies lol.

Was looking around the web about that bare wire and it seems (posts from other boards) that it's a static
shield for the knock sensor. Looked up the diagram and found out what sensor it really was but couldn't
find that wire. It's a static shielding wire for the knock sensor. Functions like a ground but not an electrical
ground circuit type ground. I've already soldered it to the harness ground so I'm just gonna wrap this end
back up again.

So here is the new intake. Right now it's off the engine, gonna clean up the welds and paint it after I put the
wiring back together. The TB was a pretty penny but it works really well and sensors are compatible with it.

Another thing on the list is I'm going to make a new thermostat housing that comes straight out the front instead
and route the coolant hoses neater than it is now. Then move the alternator up top as well.

Brilliant. Nothing like screwing with something you don't understand.

Can't really learn about something without risking screwing with it. I understand it now lol. It's ok the way it is.
If it had to be an untouched string of bare wire I'd go back and unsolder it from the harness and de-crimp the
factory crimp to other ground wires that were covered by the "factory" hockey tape.

BWA HA HAAAA, the ECU is now mine!

It's just interference drain wire, needs to be grounded. :cheers:

Edit: Does not need to ground at the other end, that why it was bundled up at the ECU.

Last edited:
Back