• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I want to start my axle build...

Aussie rear.

Aussie front w/ a 2 low kit.

There is for turning easy on the trails.

Ive never had a turning problem in my old rig with an Aussie front.

I used to have the motto 'do it right the first time' too, but found I could spend my money on something else besides a spendy Detroit for the 8.25, so I welded it for free, or $225 radials when I can have a stronger tire for $175, or custom DS's, when I got stock ones retubed and lenghtened. The list can go on.

Get the quotes first, see what kind of money you have to spend, see where else you could spend the money, and go from there.

If you want budget, ask me. Last rig I had maybe $3000 into, including buying it. The new one, I have maybe $700 into it, including buying it. Its the little things you can do that can save you money.

Hes got a 242, remember? ;)

Scott, I understand the want for a selectable front, but honestly, its not the locker that will mess up your turning. In 4low steering is tightened up and is really stiff as it is, the locker wont worsen that too much at all...hence why people get a 2low so they can turn with ease. When you think of the dynamics of a turn, the front locker many times will pull you around and through a turn if you have an open rear axle...this is the kicker for getting a selectable rear locker.

Summary: IMO, selectable rear > selectable front.

-Lyle

Scott, I understand the want for a selectable front, but honestly, its not the locker that will mess up your turning. In 4low steering is tightened up and is really stiff as it is, the locker wont worsen that too much at all...hence people get a 2low so they can turn with ease.
Exactly.

Don't get so hung up on the selectable aspect. Do dual Aussie (or Lock-Rites, that's what I always ran) lockers, if you want to change later, sell 'em...they're going to be worth most of what you paid for them (check out the used locker market...they're not cheap and the they sell quickly), and you won't have to re-gear if you want to change. There's no way to lose.

I love my rear ARB, but that's a lot of money that a new Jeeper could spend other places that would make more sense, IMHO. Ask Michael about running open/open for so many years...there's a lot more to this whole thing than lockers.

-----Matt-----

Hes got a 242, remember? ;)

And getting anything but a front selectable defies the point of a 242 case. Sounds like I might go Aussie in the rear though, for the time being.

~Scott

if you want to do it right the first time sell the d30 and build a hp44 or hp60. to me putting a selectable in a d30 is a complete waste of money. you can buy a 231 put a sye and 2low in i for cheaper the an ARB by itself. aussie the d30 and learn how your jeep works.

if you are going selectable up front are you going to upgrade the shafts?

Exactly.

Don't get so hung up on the selectable aspect. Do dual Aussie (or Lock-Rites, that's what I always ran) lockers, if you want to change later, sell 'em...they're going to be worth most of what you paid for them (check out the used locker market...they're not cheap and the they sell quickly), and you won't have to re-gear if you want to change. There's no way to lose.

I love my rear ARB, but that's a lot of money that a new Jeeper could spend other places that would make more sense, IMHO. Ask Michael about running open/open for so many years...there's a lot more to this whole thing than lockers.

-----Matt-----

I agree with most of that, but living life open / open is no way to live at all...

get aussies or lock rights or whatever is cheap, they all work, they all work the same way.

2 low is nice, but I only use it to rear dig... when you're trail riding, backups dont count...

if you want to do it right the first time sell the d30 and build a hp44 or hp60. to me putting a selectable in a d30 is a complete waste of money. you can buy a 231 put a sye and 2low in i for cheaper the an ARB by itself. aussie the d30 and learn how your jeep works.

if you are going selectable up front are you going to upgrade the shafts?

I dont agree with the get the d44 recommendation. a D44 is a good axle, but its an expensive axle to 'learn' on... learn what YOU need in a rig, with the axles you have. Go wheeling

all this BS on the internet doesnt mean a damn thing if YOU dont like what your rig does when YOU'RE using it for what YOU built it for.

Last edited:
Remeber, if you plan on going rear aussie, get the non LS 8.8 otherwise the carrier won't work.

Remeber, if you plan on going rear aussie, get the non LS 8.8 otherwise the carrier won't work.

Yup. :thumbup:

Well it seems like info is getting pretty repetative...so I'll say I appreciate everyones input, however I have my own way I want to use my rig, and I see my own benefits to everything. Based off of the info provided, the current plan is now.

For D30:
Eaton E-locker up front
4.88 yukon gears
all new bearings and what not.

For 8.8:
Aussie locker for now
4.88 yukon gears
new hardware/parts were needed
Riddler diff. cover.

And I'll buy a certain someones near new 33" KM2s on here...:shhh:

~Scott

Don't get to excited...thats a maybe. ;)

Come late May or so, the answer will be clear.

-Lyle

:huh:
Who said I was talking about you? :party:

~Scott

Sounds like a good plan to me Scott. See you on the trails with that extra .78 gear ratio :party:

Looking at what I spent extra to get one with 4.10's and the price to regear the front I should have gone that route myself. Ohwell, live and learn :looney:

Back