• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I want to start my axle build...

Ive got an 8.8 munus hardlines, rotors, pads, and axle shafts ill sell ya cheap. John has some alloy Dutchman 8.8 shafts for sale.

And X3 on 4.88's.

Get a master install kit from Randy's. Quality Timken bearings and seals.

You will save $600 or so by not doing a selectable in the front, you'll still be able to turn with an aussie.

shouldn't you be working on my GF's Jeep?

Actually it isn't bad at all. My speedo is off til I get a new gear, but crusing right along beside people at 55-60 I'm only hitting about 2700-2800 in OD. I haven't taken it on the freeway yet, just driving to and from work. It should be perfect when I get the 35's on.

IMHO Scott,

Yes, the 8.8 would be sweet cause you could use it on a later build, and I myself am all about doing it right the first time, but I would settle for an 8.25(you can run up to 35s on that...) leave it open(or LS), lock the front, re-gear, and go up to 33s.

I say this because there is no reason to run an 8.8, not to mention put lots of money into it, when there are steps to be taken before that. You've said previously that 35s are way, way far into the future for you, and an 8.25 will serve you well...while giving you money left over for new tires, and maybe more lift.

-Lyle

I have a 98 8.25 you can have for free

4.88 for sure, not doubt... use the tech forums on this site man! A LOT of threads have been about these subjects...do your research!

IMO
If you choose to go with the 8.8, there are a few things to consider, yes, it is a hell of an axle and you would like it. but, for what you are running and the height of your lift it doesnt make sense as of right now to upgrade to a 8.8. Im just thinking but, just like with the Dana 60, there has to be a point when putting that axle in would net you less ground clearence than stock because of tire size??

my 88 installed cost me just over $600...

Another question is this....you plan to build it by yourself? or by a shop. if shop, factor in labor...if you are gonna do everything by yourself, then factor in use of a welder, mucho time to get it ready, etc....

Now to my point, with how much it normally costs to build this axle and what you get out of it, its kinda like putting a D60 into a 4" lifted XJ...kinda overkill...

I think i would buy a shell of a 88 and then use the rest of the money to buy a better tcase, SYE (mandatory IMO), front locker, 2 low, more lift, 1 ton steering...kinda see what im saying? i think you are better off getting a shell of a 88 and slowly buying parts for it when you come across good deals. Grab a 8.25 locked off someone...that will fit your needs while still leaving you plenty of money to better upgrade your XJ, and in turn make it a better wheeler...if i was in your shoes, with what you have i would buy the 8.25 and then get crucial parts for wheeling....like 1 ton steering, lockers, etc...stuff that will have more of an impact on your jeep than just putting most of your money into an axle that isnt even really needed? think about how many more upgrades you could do if you get a 8.25 instead of a 88...your XJ would be a more capable rig if you end up putting in the 8.25 and upgrading everything else that sucks about your jeep. like steering, no lockers, tcase, SYE, etc...

my .02

Keil

Thanks for all the help guys, I read tech on this topic all the time...just forget some of it sometime.

As far as the rear axle goes, unless I can find someone with an already locked and geared axle...I'll probably just build an 8.8. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the next month or two though. And I'm not worried about SYE, tires, or lift...I'll be buying that stuff with my paycheck over the next couple months, however I'm in no rush for an SYE as my vibes are fine (recently improved). Steering is on my list of things to do, but my ZJ tie-rod seems to be ok, and I know lots of guys still run the stock or ZJ tierods. Lift/control arms are on my list though.

As far as the build goes, I want John to do the locker/gear install. I'll have the welding done from friends. I've factored in the cost of labor for gears and what not...and I understand I'll be spending some of my paycheck on stuff. Just because I have $2100 for my axles, doesn't mean I don't understand spending more is possible.

This money is a strict axle build fund, I'd like to keep it that way. As axles will cost the most to do out of everything else I plan on (for tires I can sell my current ones and pay for most of new ones, not the same for axles).

~Scott

Last edited:
I think that knowing where you are going with your build is the most important part. It will save money in the long run not having to do things twice and your rig will end up well thought out. When ever I run into a big chunk of money to invest in my jeep I always try to get the things I know I can't afford to buy out of my paychecks. Its worked for me so far. Good luck on the axle build. I know the prep work took up the most time on my swap but when it came down to install day I was suprised how smooth it went and how little time it actually took.

X2. Is it limited slip?

Muddy Beast, haven't been ignoring you, just busy. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

John

Understandable...give me a ring sometime after 2 tomorrow. I want to get the ball rolling, and get some quotes...but in no huge hurry.

~Scott

As of this moment.
E-locker up front, 4.88 gears, 8.8 with disc rear. Any final thoughts?

~Scott

Locker for 8.8?

I'm waiting to talk to John...I want one, but at the same time would need to wait to have money for a selectable, and am not sure if I want to wait that long. I need some price quotes to figure it all out.

My thoughts are to possibly get a LS 8.8 and add more friction disc (I heard John talking about this once) and running that for awhile, as I know guys with LS rears who can go up almost anything. But I'm not sure what the deal would be with a LS 8.8 if I wanted to get a locker down the road? I assume I'd just have to get a full carrier replacement? Is this a good way to go?

Enlighten me.

~Scott

LS carrier=carrier replacement IF doing a lunchbox locker.

Why do you want to spend SO much money on selectables? I know you have the 242, but one in the rear wouldnt be worth it IMO. I just look at it as a way for more things to go wrong. I think you should just throw some Aussie's in it, wheel it and learn the rig locked, then maybe do selectables down the road. I know you can still sell your used Aussie's for a good price. You're already hurting for cash for the build(like most of us), but to each his own.

Honestly I just want to do it once and do it right. I don't mind a straight locker in the rear...if that's suggested. I don't even mind doing an Aussie in the rear.

The only selectable that's really worth it for me IMO is the front, again, so I can turn easily...and actually use my full time feature (ya, ya...flame away, some of us like that feature). I agree, to each their own, but I want to do this slowly so I get the most out of my money.

Again though, I really need to get quotes in order to figure out what I can afford...

~Scott

Aussie rear.

Aussie front w/ a 2 low kit.

There is for turning easy on the trails.

Ive never had a turning problem in my old rig with an Aussie front.

I used to have the motto 'do it right the first time' too, but found I could spend my money on something else besides a spendy Detroit for the 8.25, so I welded it for free, or $225 radials when I can have a stronger tire for $175, or custom DS's, when I got stock ones retubed and lenghtened. The list can go on.

Get the quotes first, see what kind of money you have to spend, see where else you could spend the money, and go from there.

If you want budget, ask me. Last rig I had maybe $3000 into, including buying it. The new one, I have maybe $700 into it, including buying it. Its the little things you can do that can save you money.

I hear ya.
I'm currently planning on using some of my axle fund money to get control arms, because I need them. And maybe some lift stuff (new leafs and front springs) while I'm building the axles, and working to earn it back. I have another car, so I don't mind putting the Jeep on blocks. I figure since it's a DD, a front selectable is still a prime choice...We'll see though.

~Scott

Back