• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow Tires... Wide or Narrow??

Just my opinion!
On a Light weight vehicle Like an XJ a 10.5" wide tire is all you should ever need.
XJs with wide tires slide all over the place when it is slick out!
also disagree,depends on the conditions, wet snow,fluffy snow,compact snow,snowman snow, ice,etc

Hey Wim,
Out of curiosity, what depth snow are you usually driving in? How much snow do you all usually get in the Netherlands and what's it looking like this year?
DougN

Hallo. It is the first time in 10 years we have got so much snow in the Rotterdam area. haha.
In the North of the Netherlands it is more common like this.:cool:

Why are the brakes make a grinding noise, when the ABS is working???

wim

unless you meant you have to USE the hemi meaning get into the throttle, then i understand

That is what I meant. Yes the Commander is full time and I have the QT2 system. 09 is the first year of the Hemi and QT2. I found that it works flawlessly with just using the torque of the hemi to move it around. On another note that I forgot to add is that our other "stock" XJ's did fine in 18" of snow. We have 3 stockers, two have the Firestone Destination AT and one has BFG AT's

That is what I meant. Yes the Commander is full time and I have the QT2 system. 09 is the first year of the Hemi and QT2. I found that it works flawlessly with just using the torque of the hemi to move it around. On another note that I forgot to add is that our other "stock" XJ's did fine in 18" of snow. We have 3 stockers, two have the Firestone Destination AT and one has BFG AT's

How'd those AT's fare in the snow?

Originally Posted by garr
Just my opinion!
On a Light weight vehicle Like an XJ a 10.5" wide tire is all you should ever need.
XJs with wide tires slide all over the place when it is slick out!

also disagree,depends on the conditions, wet snow,fluffy snow,compact snow,snowman snow, ice,etc

Forget about snow, When I ran 33X12.5s (New condition BFG ATs) on an old xj I had years back I was afraid to drive it in the Rain!
It slipped & slid around like it was in a skating rink!
I gave up & used it for off roading only!

How'd those AT's fare in the snow?

The firestones did great, the BFG's have always done well for me unless the snow is slushy. The GY Fortera did great but i would guess that a "almost" 5k vehicle with full time 4wd, traction control, and 370 hp (with gobbs of torque) helped those tires out a bit.

[/I]

Forget about snow, When I ran 33X12.5s (New condition BFG ATs) on an old xj I had years back I was afraid to drive it in the Rain!
It slipped & slid around like it was in a skating rink!
I gave up & used it for off roading only!

I own 5 XJ's and I do not have this issue unless I am heavy on the throttle.

Why are the brakes make a grinding noise, when the ABS is working???

Yes, when the ABS is doing it's job it will make a grinding noise and you will feel a vibration in the pedal. It's the free foot massage you get in winter. :laugh3:

I just took a cross country trip and got in snow and ice for the first time in my '96 Country, boy the ABS and 242 transfer case (full time) were nice in icy parking lots!

I'm running 33x12.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, they kick absolute butt in the snow, particularly when aired down. Usually down to 18 psi on the street (in snow), 10 psi out in the woods. 2wd is hairy, but if you're running around in 2wd in the snow and ice on the street, you're just asking for trouble. In dealing with a few people that like to do this, the need to project machismo seems to be the common theme. You look like a tool either way - you made it home in 2wd? Wow, you're an idiot for taking the risk, especially with the magic get-your-ass-home-safe lever a foot from your right hand. Or you creamed some old lady in a Lexus after spinning out - good job, Slick! Why not just give Darwin a swift kick in the junk and lock it in 4wd? Meh... Whatever. I like my Jeep. I like not having broken bones or a pending lawsuit.
As far as tire width is concerned, the type of snow you're running in will be the determining factor, and unless you deal with snow for more than a couple of weeks a year, I'm not sure it's worth consideration when buying tires - especially when the condition of the snow changes often. My tires seem to work well on pretty much everything, though they're not quite as comfortable on heavy, wet slop. I'll deal with any negatives that may come along with my slightly wider contact patch in the snow, since the rest of the year they're ideal.

I own 5 XJ's and I do not have this issue unless I am heavy on the throttle.

The throttle is not the Problem.
It's the Brake!
It's easy to get going, Stopping is another story!
Any way, I am happy with skinny tires & you like the wide tires on your XJ, Thats what the USA is all about
Different strokes for different folks :yelclap:

I have 12.5" wide 33's and they do ok in the snow, to get going. I think my greater advantage is having 4.56 gears and a 5sp, the jeep will stop itself. If I drive responsibly I can just apply a little brake when I come to a complete stop. Otherwise there is enough engine braking to not have to worry about it. I have no preference skinny or wide, but I believe it is proven that wide tires with low psi will work good in the snow & skinny tires at higher psi will work better on the ice. Decide what you will be doing and go with it.

if you're running around in 2wd in the snow and ice on the street, you're just asking for trouble. In dealing with a few people that like to do this, the need to project machismo seems to be the common theme.

well having driven my XJ for a few years, and the old farm trucks for many years before that, I spent most of my time in 2wd, sometimes because its the only option, sometimes because you really don't need 4wd all the time.
I normally drive in 2wd, until I need 4wd, which isn't very often.

as said previously, 4wd doesn't mean jack when your trying to come to a stop, in fact it can make braking worse. when your on the road braking is normally more important than going fast with 4wd.

Yes, when the ABS is doing it's job it will make a grinding noise and you will feel a vibration in the pedal. It's the free foot massage you get in winter. :laugh3:

I just took a cross country trip and got in snow and ice for the first time in my '96 Country, boy the ABS and 242 transfer case (full time) were nice in icy parking lots!

Haha . Finally justice to own a Jeep.
All the small cars in my neighbourhood do have a lot of problems.
First of all wrong tires and second only front wheel drive.
The little Renauls and the small Peugeots and all the Kia's.
Most Kia's looks like 4 wheel drives, but without tc's and diffs.

Keep them rolling in the snow!

I'm running 33x12.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, they kick absolute butt in the snow, particularly when aired down. Usually down to 18 psi on the street (in snow), 10 psi out in the woods. 2wd is hairy, but if you're running around in 2wd in the snow and ice on the street, you're just asking for trouble. In dealing with a few people that like to do this, the need to project machismo seems to be the common theme. You look like a tool either way - you made it home in 2wd? Wow, you're an idiot for taking the risk, especially with the magic get-your-ass-home-safe lever a foot from your right hand. Or you creamed some old lady in a Lexus after spinning out - good job, Slick! Why not just give Darwin a swift kick in the junk and lock it in 4wd? Meh... Whatever. I like my Jeep. I like not having broken bones or a pending lawsuit.
As far as tire width is concerned, the type of snow you're running in will be the determining factor, and unless you deal with snow for more than a couple of weeks a year, I'm not sure it's worth consideration when buying tires - especially when the condition of the snow changes often. My tires seem to work well on pretty much everything, though they're not quite as comfortable on heavy, wet slop. I'll deal with any negatives that may come along with my slightly wider contact patch in the snow, since the rest of the year they're ideal.

I hated my MTRs when driving on the street when it was icy or wet. No traction, especially when braking.

The new BFG AT KOs are 10x better. ATs are better than MTs for on road snow and ice driving hands down.

One more vote for the tall and skinny route for a dedicated street snow/ice tire. If you are doing some offroading they should work just as well, at least until you get into some rather deep powder and then you want to float, but I think a Cherokee is to heavy to float over most snow.

Use 2wd to get into trouble. Use 4wd to get out.

As a lot of others have said, it depends on where you're driving, and snow depth & conditions. If you're talking about on-road driving, tall & skinny tires. If you're off-roading in deep powder, you'll want to float on top.

As far as tires go, personally, I prefer Goodyears. I wore out a set of stock size Wrangler AT/S tires, and a set of 31x10.50 MT/Rs on my 94 while it was still a daily driver. I never had a problem getting where I wanted to go in the snow. It's on 33x12.50 MT/Rs but it hasn't seen snow in 5 years.

One other thing.... for winter driving, siping MT/Rs or mud tires helps a LOT.

well having driven my XJ for a few years, and the old farm trucks for many years before that, I spent most of my time in 2wd, sometimes because its the only option, sometimes because you really don't need 4wd all the time.
I normally drive in 2wd, until I need 4wd, which isn't very often.

as said previously, 4wd doesn't mean jack when your trying to come to a stop, in fact it can make braking worse. when your on the road braking is normally more important than going fast with 4wd.
On braking, I suppose it depends on brakes, and what you're doing with them, but I have always found that part time 4WD improves braking a bit if, as is so often the case with XJ's, you have a problem with rear brakes locking. Four wheel drive helps a lot with this.

On braking, I suppose it depends on brakes, and what you're doing with them, but I have always found that part time 4WD improves braking a bit if, as is so often the case with XJ's, you have a problem with rear brakes locking. Four wheel drive helps a lot with this.

understandable.
I was referring to the fact that even when you hit the brakes, the engine>tranny>t-case>driveshafts>axles>tires are still trying to turn which can hinder actually braking.
in our driving schools up here we are taught to slip into N whenever we hit the brakes hard and NEED to stop.
Having personally tried, been taught, and shown others that it works, I know you can stop sooner, (and straighter) when your in N.

Having said that, like you said if your brakes lock up, having a bit of torque on them can keep that from happening. But more often than not my rear drums never locked up. (now discs so no problems here either way)

oh and,

tall and narrow!

how many words do the Eskimos have for snow again? :D

I've been doing ok with my nearly bald BFG MTs in the snow so far, but it's a little scary sometimes. Hopefully I'll have the time to trim fenders and put the new ATs on.

how many words do the Eskimos have for snow again? :D

I've been doing ok with my nearly bald BFG MTs in the snow so far, but it's a little scary sometimes. Hopefully I'll have the time to trim fenders and put the new ATs on.

I had that problem with the old 45k mile Wrangler Silentarmors on mine, got a new set of them installed on Monday, yesterday's driving went muuuuuuuch better:thumbup:

For dd on snow & ice I'd vote a tall & skinny AT with lots of siping. IIRC, it's the siping that increases traction in slippery conditions like snow & ice. My jeep has 33x12.5 ProComp ATs and they run circles around any MTs that I've run in snow & ice on the road. Also, consider type of use and longevity. The ProComp ATs are rated for 60k miles while any of the MTs I've run were only rated for 30-40k miles. Cost was about the same. The 12.5 was a compromise for flotation in muddy situations.

Back