• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sleeping in an XJ

Jimbo_1321 said:
no kidding. there's no way I could sleep with another person back there...
though I am 6' 4" and 240 lbs...
not so good for the back of the jeep.
I'm thinking of making a roofrack and some simple tent to toss on top of it. anyone ever make one?
got pics?
Exactly what I did here:
rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

Full length, full width rack, big enough for a two person tent between the side rails. Just make sure to use a sleeping mat, as the air gap between the roof and rack gets chilly, and robs you of warmth.

selarep said:
hah, yeah i know. she hated it, I dont think she ever popped a squat before... there's plenty of room for getting dirty though!

Mine had no problem taking a squat, had to on the side of the trial I just used the jeep to shield her from everyone else.

i tried the whole jeep sleepin thing for the first time last weekend. worked out great, although it was a lil tight. my feet fit almost perfectly in the lil cubby hole on the passenger side.

note to those who hate the crawlin out to take a leek part: i used a bungi to close the rear hatch. made for easy access in the middle of the night. and you thought that was a mud puddle under the rear of my rig, lol.

I really don't see the point in trying to sleep in the Jeep.
Buy a good tent and faggetabodit.
I have a two person Marmot that goes up in 5 minutes in the dark and packs to 5" dia X 20".
A self inflating pad, good down sleeping bag, and you're gold.

Leave the cargo area to hold cargo.

it worked great for me last year when we went to bed in the rain and woke up to snow. it was really nice to simply sit up and turn the xj and heat on when it was snowing and not have to get out of bed :worship:

mojojojo said:
:wierd: not everyone.....

:D

You were leading the other group you tard. :looser:

Why do you need to be worried about sleeping in your Jeep Trav?

You just end up sleeping with Mark anyway........

Hale

5'9, 175.... fatty

Solution:

Trade your XJ for a long bed MJ with topper, plenty of room to sleep in the back with equipment.

Yes I am talking from experience!:lecture:

5'7" and I took out the back seat. With out that thing in there you can push one if not both seats forward if needed and sleep just fine back there. I just air up a thermorest and kick out the sleeping bag.

JC whitney used to sell a tent for an XJ that attached to the back end with the hatch up...<$200 as I recall....

Domino said:
JC whitney used to sell a tent for an XJ that attached to the back end with the hatch up...<$200 as I recall....
A search of the current JC Whitney online catalog fails to show the aforementioned tent. If you happen upon a link to it I for one would be interested.

BlueGerbil said:
Spent some nights trying to catch some sleep in the back of my ´90 XJ or sitting in the reclined driver seats - but not for me anymore, thanks.

Now `m a happy camper and my wife like´s it, too.

tentrax_17.jpg

Very cool!

MongoXJ said:
Planning to build an extension with a step that will plug into my rear reciever and sewing a custom tarp for the hatch.
This is genius! :clap: If it's made out of aluminum, you could stow it up on the roof rack when you aren't using it. Should be light enough. Great idea!

Not reading any replies I've done a few different things. Fold down the rear seat. Move the front seats forward as much as you can. I like to use an inverter, take my air mattress (it's a single or double, I forget) and fill it up. I then put it inside the Jeep and it's great! Just make sure it fits. Only issue is, toolboxes, gear, spare parts, etc., have to be relocated out of the way. I also recommend bringing some towels to hang from the interior to cover the rear, sides, and front window. Or window tint. Privacy is nice!

Back